Net calories........help please!

Options
Hi, I dont understand the net calories and nutrition guides on here.
Im meant to eat 1200 calories per day. most days im under on total calories but way over on sugar and protien (sugar is all fruit sugar!). I usualy exersize once kids are in bed and am buring approx 500 calories per workout........ this is then leaving me with a massive calorie defficit, some days as much as 800 calories! I understand Im meant to eat my total calorie allowance per day for maximum weight loss, but as Im already way over on sugar and protien Im unsure what to eat!!!!! Plus Im not hungry!!!!!! should I stick to what im doing and just ignore the huge calorie deficit????? or exercise less???? HELP ME PLEASE x

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    If you're over on protein, you're probably under on something else. Take a look at what is lacking, and see what kind of foods you like that contain a good amount of that macro (either fat or carbohydrates) and work on incorporating that into your diet.

Don't worry about sugar, especially if most of it is from fruit. Just count them as carbs.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    MFP sets their protein macro very low for most people. A lot of us have set custom goals for protein closer to 30%. I would never worry about going over your protein numbers.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's hard to make suggestions without seeing your diary - open in up then we may be able to advise.

But, yes, you should be eating back exercise cals to NET 1200.

MFP sets protein pretty low so going over is not a problem. Many folks on here aim for around 1g protein per lb lean body mass, especially if strength training.

If you are way over on protein and sugar then it suggests you need more starchy carbs and fat. Remember your body needs fat.
  • Scarlett1joshua1
    Options
    Thanks for that :) its fat that im under on, so ive started eating more nuts and oily fish, but once i exersice my calorie deficit is still huge......... Do I have to eat more or can I ignore the deficit?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that :) its fat that im under on, so ive started eating more nuts and oily fish, but once i exersice my calorie deficit is still huge......... Do I have to eat more or can I ignore the deficit?

The 1200 cal already has a deficit built in so you will lose weight without exercise. Add in exercise and you body needs more fuel so eat back your exercise cals.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Yes, you should eat more. A day or two under your calorie goal won't hurt anything, but being under 1200 calories for a prolonged period of time can screw with your bodies hormones and/or encourage it to eat your muscle mass for fuel. If you're really not hungry you can add more calorie-dense foods like nuts, avocado, full fat dairy, olive oil, etc. It's pretty easy to boost your calories by just a few hundred per meal once you put your mind to it.
  • mjhelton
    mjhelton Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great topic... I constantly go back and fother with this.... This could be my problem and why I'm hitting my plateau! UGH! Good advice ladies I think I will try this advice for a week and see what the difference is. :happy:
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Basically what everyone else said.

The only thing I will say is in terms of eating back exercise calories, MFP can overestimate/underestimate calories for certain activities. Some people swear by eating all their calories back (I get the impression they are those with heart rate monitors so have accurate calorie burn) especially if they are highly active. Some people eat half. Some people eat none - it really does depend on how much activity you do, what type of activity, whether your calorie burn is accurate and how you feel. You may have to tweak it around a bit until you find something that works - I have done it these last two weeks and I haven't lost much, but I know it's better for my body in the long run!
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    What should the Carbs/Fats/Proteins be?

I have mine set at 55/20/25. is 40/30/30 better?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat to fuel your exercise then don't exercise so much.

You're supposed to net to 1200 calories...so the math looks like this:

1200 - 500 exercise = 700 net calories (this is bad...friggin' birds eat more than this)...so to net to your goal of 1200 you need to eat back most of those exercise calories...700 + 500 = 1200. So you net will be 1200 and your gross will be 1200+500 = 1700 (which is way more like it.

Personally I'd recommend getting your calories figured out and diet figured out first...then resume your exercises when you've figured all of that out and figured out how to eat.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Enter your food and exercise, click "my home" at the top of your MFP page. See what your net calories are for the day. If you have at least 1200, you're good. If not, eat more.

The end.
  • ep2175
    ep2175 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i am having similar difficulties...1,200 calories is about right for me on a daily basis --includes foods i like and portions that are good for me, and i don't end up hungry. but i am having a really hard time eating back any of my exercise calories. i don't like to snack a bunch because it makes me feel gross, even if it's healthy snacks.i already only eat full-fat yogurt, i put half and half in my coffee rather than milk, i eat peanut butter or nuts everyday, and most days involve some avocado. do i just need to 'man up' and eat bigger portions, even if it means eating past full?
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1900 calories. I currently burn between 700-900 on exercise. Does that mean I should be eating 2700-2900 calories?