Knee pain

Options
OK...June 6th I started the Biggest Loser Cardio Max and Sculpting DVD's...right away I noticed alot of knee pain in both knees. I watched very carefully when doing lunges as to not extend past my toe but it does not help, today after working out extra hard I noticed I have gone back to not being able to walk up or down stairs with out the pain getting the better of me. It is relieved with sports creme and a cold compress but seriously there has to be something I am doing wrong here to create this pain. PLease HELP! Anyone!

p.s. I should mention that about 20 yrs ago I had a serious knee injury in my left knee, while driving for the post office I slammed my knee into the frame of the truck, crushing my knee cap...also last yr I slipped getting into a jet ski and twisted my right knee and it was swollen for about a week, I was unable to walk or stand without help.

Replies

• Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Me too!!!! I'd never had knee pain before - EVER. I've been taking glucosamine & dealing with it, assuming it was because it's different than what I've been use to. I've been doing the Cardio Max & 30 Day Shred.

Curious to see what others say also.
  • michelle29714
    Options
    ok...good glad its not just me! I have glucosimine...I will take it everyday if I have to, bot were they hurting today bad!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Can you describe the pain? Where it hurts and while doing what? Try this out:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-241-290-291-6899-0,00.html

It is referring to running, but I think the concept translates. I had IT band pain before while training for a marathon and was able to "cure" it with new shoes and some stretches with a resistance band.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My pain is on the inside of my knees.
  • AlyssaC2010
    Options
    I have bad knee pains too. Ibuprofen helps me some. Icyhot patches are really good. Is the pain on the inside part of your knee? Years ago it would always be that for me and my physical therapist wanted me to build up my quads & my inner thighs. If it keeps hurting you may want to go to an orthopedic doctor because you could've done something to tendons, ligaments, or your meniscus. I hope it gets better fast though because that's an awful pain to have! Ooh I just remembered....I sometimes get pains when I jog so I've put on an ace bandage while I jog & I actually didn't have any pains at all. Maybe that could help too? Good luck!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Q: Do you feel stiffness over the front or inner side of your kneecap, especially after sitting or kneeling? Does it hurt more walking down steps? Does the pain go away a few minutes into your run?
    A] Patellofemoral pain can be caused by alignment problems, damage to kneecap cartilage, overpronation, or muscle/tendon weakness or tightness. You can run through most patellofemoral pain, says Robert Wilder, M.D., of the University of Virginia, but you may need to cut back on distance, hills, or intensity. (But be extra careful if you have chondromalacia, a form of arthritis that causes patellofemoral pain.) Strength training, wearing a knee brace, taping your arches or wearing an orthotic, and replacing worn shoes or wearing motion-control shoes can help
  • pixieE
    pixieE Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert on this but i've lots of personal experience with knee injuries which tend get 'aggrivated' with exercise, especially weight-bearing exercise.
    It sounds like maybe some kind of knee support would be helpful, it obviously won't cure the pain but it may just help ease it a little when your knees are undergoing physical exersion. Also anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen might help.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey, i really hope the knee pain passes as you gain muscle and strength.
    Keep up the good work!!!!!! x
  • Shawna35
    Shawna35 Posts: 65
    Options
    I take glucosamine and it makes a real difference for me. If I were you, I would keep taking that regularly!!
  • michelle29714
    Options
    Its under my knee caps and hurt more when I go up or down stairs or from sitting to standing, it hurts alot when doing sculpting, like lunges. I do not run.

The shoes I use are Danskin Now for Aerobic exercise...I have Glucosomine as well, is this helpful to use everyday? I also take 1 Aleve every morning as I have a compressed disc in my back so this helps with loosing my back before working out...hope this helps and TY for al the advice I really appreciate it
  • michelle29714
    Options
    Alsop...starting P90X on the 16th...knee pain will not stop me from getting to my goal...thats just an excuse in my book! :)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I suffered with knee pain for quite awhile. After reading about different type of sneakers, I found a local running store and had my gait analyzed. He suggested stability sneakers for me because I pronate my feet inward, as well as purchasing a whole size larger. {your feet swell during exercise.} Within 3 weeks my knee starting feeling better. It is worth the time and effort to go to a running store. The sneakers were no more expensive than they are at a big box sports store.
  • michelle29714
    Options
    Thats an awesome Idea on the sneakers! TY
  • sillyhappykitty
    sillyhappykitty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are super committed to your exercise routine, and congratulations on your 14 lb loss! I don't know how severe your pain is, but you are your best judge. It's ok to exercise through soreness, but not bad pain. My knees (right especially) started to hurt even when I wasn't exercising, and I had to stop running my neighborhood, and started running in the local YMCA pool instead- for almost a month. It's doing a lot better now. :) You might want to look around the web for alternative exercises that will allow your knees some healing time- Just google knee pain and exercise, and you should find some good stuff to do so you don't lose any momentum in your training. Good luck!
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY ! I am laying here right now, with my laptop and a bag of frozen corn on my right knee. I went through this when I first started walking back in April , stopped walking for about a month until it stopped. Now I've been walking again for the last 4 weeks and now the pain is really getting bad.
    I will watch for suggestions, already bought 2 NEW pair of shoes so I know it's not that. Taking motrin 600 before my walk and another 600 is needed right now, shortened my stride, walking half the time on an indoor track with padded? track. It does feel much better when walking indoors.
    Someone help us please, I feel like I just got my groove back and now this !!!:angry:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Might want to check with an orthopedic doc. If you have had repeated injury to your knee you may now have bone spurs. Wonderful little things that look like spikes growing out of your bones on the x-rays. I have them on both knees due to repeated injury and now arthritis. It hurts worse going down the stairs first thing in the morning. I was told that at this point the spurs were not severe enough for surgery.
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    I also suffer from knee pain at times and I have found the treadmill is better for me. Also you might try aqua bootcamp. Less strain on the knee.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The shoes I use are Danskin Now for Aerobic exercise

Might want to try different shoes. I know when I wear my Danskins, I have horrid knee pain, but when I wear my New Balance running shoes, it's not as bad. You also might want to check to make sure you're getting proper arch support. Sometimes poor arch support will also lead to knee pain.