Amy's Indian Samosa fake

Options
abyt42
abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
I love those microwavable samosas, but the sodium (680) had me a little uneasy. I made some fairly tasty potato and pea curry filling, and plopped it into a whole wheat tortilla. The tortilla has the bulk of the sodium (340), and the results are flavorful, and more filling than the commercial, tasty version.

If anyone wants the recipe for Curried Potatoes and Peas (filling only) I'll post it (I've already entered it in the database), and think it would also be great in a whole wheat pita (fewer calories, less sodium...) I've modified it from the Vegetarian Times "Curried Squash and Garbanzos" recipe... because I don't like squash or garbanzos....

I'm pretty darned pleased with myself (and my dinner!) :happy:

Replies

• Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    OOO! ME! ME! I'd LOVE to have a copy of the recipe! :-)
  • awesome_orchid
    Options
    I would love to see the recipe for the pea/potato filling! I made an asian dish from Southern Living called "pork fried rice" and the database let me know one bowl is costing three hundred and some calories.
    awesome_orchid
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    1.5 tsp canola oil
    3 toes garlic, minced
    1 medium onion, diced
    4 C cubed russet potatoes (small cubes)
    dash crushed red pepper
    2 C water
    2 T curry powder
    1/2 T ground cumin
    1/4 t salt
    1/2 t black pepper
    1 C fresh or frozen green peas
    1/4 C instant mashed potatoes (dry flakes), optional
    Saute onion and garlic in a large pan until soft. Add potatoes, water, red pepper flakes, curry powder, cumin, salt & pepper. Cook until potatoes are tender and a great deal of the moisture is evaporated or absorbed. Stir in the peas and heat through. Remove from heat. If the mixture still looks really moist, sprinkle with potato flakes, stir thoroughly, and let set.

(makes 6 servings)
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    SOUNDS DELISH!!! Thank you!!! :-)