Not Enough Calories and No Tummy Rumbles

Options
According to MFP, I should be consuming 1250 calories a day. I end up eating around 1,000 and burn 300 for an average of 700 net calories a day. I know I'm eating too few calories but I'm just not hungry, even after a really good workout. Does this mean that this is just how my body works and I'm fine (I'm still losing a healthy 1lb a week for a total of 10lbs *go me*) or do I need to figure out a way to incorporate healthy foods with higher calories? If I need to add higher calorie foods, any suggestions for some that are healthy?

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Fruit
    Full-fat dairy
    Salmon
    Beef
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The body is often bad at deciding whether or not we're hungry. It's a creature of habit. If you eat too little for a while it will get used to it and stop sending hunger signals.

Try boosting your calories with calorie dense foods. Nuts, nut butters, olive oil, full fat cheese & dairy, Greek yogurt, dark chocolate, avocado, smoothies & shakes. It doesn't take much to boost each meal by just a few hundred calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Stats? (age, weight, height)

Hard to say for sure, but probably not. For as much as people want to be unique snowflakes, we just aren't. More than likely you are just used to eating so few cals that your body doesn't "register" it as too few.

If you don't want to eat more food (greater volume/bigger portions), just eat more calories. Things like full fat dairy, red meats, nuts/seeds/beans, and some fish are all very calorie dense. Working those into your meals will increase cals without increase portion size.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    According to MFP, I should be consuming 1250 calories a day. I end up eating around 1,000 and burn 300 for an average of 700 net calories a day. I know I'm eating too few calories but I'm just not hungry, even after a really good workout. Does this mean that this is just how my body works and I'm fine (I'm still losing a healthy 1lb a week for a total of 10lbs *go me*) or do I need to figure out a way to incorporate healthy foods with higher calories? If I need to add higher calorie foods, any suggestions for some that are healthy?

I think this is fine. Your body will let you know when you need to eat. Some people need a lot of calories to function properly, some need less. I function very well on about 500 net calories. ANy more than that and I feel bloated, lazy, tired, heavy. I stop exercising and start spending a lot of time on the couch. Like you said, you are not losing weight too fast and you feel fine.

If you want to increase your calories without feeling stuffed, bananas have 105 calories, peanut butter has 90 per tbsp (but also a lot of fat), rice is high in calories and nothing else, as well as pasta.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I think this is fine. Your body will let you know when you need to eat. Some people need a lot of calories to function properly, some need less. I function very well on about 500 net calories. ANy more than that and I feel bloated, lazy, tired, heavy. I stop exercising and start spending a lot of time on the couch. Like you said, you are not losing weight too fast and you feel fine.

If you want to increase your calories without feeling stuffed, bananas have 105 calories, peanut butter has 90 per tbsp (but also a lot of fat), rice is high in calories and nothing else, as well as pasta.

This is generally bad advice.

Actually no, that's wrong, let me rephrase... This is generally HORRIBLE advice.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yeah, net 500 calories is not good for ANYONE. There are plenty of foods that are great food you and calorie dense, like the other posts mentioned. Almonds, peanuts, natural PB, olive oil, etc...If you have to ask, "Am I eating too few calories, chances are, you are"

Actually no, that's wrong, let me rephrase... This is generally HORRIBLE advice.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to agree. I wish I could be a fly on the wall and watch some of you people because there is simply no way you are consuming this small amount of energy and not experiencing serious health concerns. This is what is referred to as a "very low-calorie diet" (VLCD) and is administered by physicians to extremely obese patients for special cases such as A) requiring life-saving surgery when they are currently too overweight to operate on and; B) every day they're as good as dead because of their severe morbid obesity. A person should not take it onto themselves to eat 500 or 700 calories a day.
    Regardless of how you feel, I can't stress enough how unhealthy this is.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options

^^^^
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There are hormones which tell your body when you are hungry and when you are full. When you eat too little or too much, your body adapts and it changes these hormones. When there is a lack of food, the "I'm hungry" signal doesn't work very well. It is part of a human's survival mechanism.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

ZOMG, your spleen called, it wants more food.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    calculate your TDEE (how much energy you burn a day)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

agreed...seriously wut?!?!
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to agree. I wish I could be a fly on the wall and watch some of you people because there is simply no way you are consuming this small amount of energy and not experiencing serious health concerns. This is what is referred to as a "very low-calorie diet" (VLCD) and is administered by physicians to extremely obese patients for special cases such as A) requiring life-saving surgery when they are currently too overweight to operate on and; B) every day they're as good as dead because of their severe morbid obesity. A person should not take it onto themselves to eat 500 or 700 calories a day.

May I ask where you got your medical degree?
  • marygoodnight007
    Options
    I had this problem too which is why I joined MFP.

I thought I was fine and felt fine BUT I hit a plateau.

You will stop losing and you'll shoot your matabolism.

I just learned how to eat all my back calories (and there were a LOT I'm car free) but I can tell you I feel so much better now. I eat a lot of protien and good fats like raw nuts. My energy is better now.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

May I ask where you got your medical degree?

same place you got yours from I'm guessing.

though, I'm curious... what's a medical degree got to do with diets and nutrition?
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

yip
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options

:laugh:
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    I had this problem too which is why I joined MFP.

I thought I was fine and felt fine BUT I hit a plateau.

You will stop losing and you'll shoot your matabolism.

I just learned how to eat all my back calories (and there were a LOT I'm car free) but I can tell you I feel so much better now. I eat a lot of protien and good fats like raw nuts. My energy is better now.

nuts etc are great for upping your cals

Or go to town on ice cream, everyone always has room for ice cream!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

How about you stop spreading your downright dangerous and stupid advice around the forum ? Seriously.
    Talk about trying to drag others down into your unhealthy lifestyle.