extra calories on cardio workout days

Options
should i have more calories on my workout days so far i have just stuck to my 1530 calories per day irrelevant of my exercise that day also i do a very active job up and down ladders all day lost 38 lbs so far just wondering if i would see better results at the moment its 1-2 lb per week
thanks

Replies

• buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    That's a really good steady loss. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Keep doing what you're doing as long as you're not too hungry.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week is perfect. You don't want to lose faster than that as you will lose more muscle mass instead of fat. Slow and steady is the way to go. :-) Congrats on the 38lbs!
  • aldz00
    aldz00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to tell once you start working out. If you have NO energy you'll need to bump up your carb intake 3 hrs before your workout. Nothing crazy, a light PP&J (with almond butter) or Vegan oatmeal raisin/trail mix cookie will do. It's worked for me and those are not heavy calorie items
  • upandover34
    upandover34 Posts: 32
    Options
    ok thanks i dont feel really hungry or anything sometimes i wake up for bathroom or something after a couple of hours sleep and feel quite hungry then
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    should i have more calories on my workout days so far i have just stuck to my 1530 calories per day irrelevant of my exercise that day also i do a very active job up and down ladders all day lost 38 lbs so far just wondering if i would see better results at the moment its 1-2 lb per week
    thanks

Depends. If your 1530 is based on BMR/NEAT cals (i.e. doesn't factor in exercise), then yes you probably should. If you factored in exercise when you calculated the 1530, then no you probably don't.

**edited for grammar**
  • upandover34
    Options
  • upandover34
    Options
    thanks for replies everyone jacksonpt thats cals before any exercise factored in
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    thanks for replies everyone jacksonpt thats cals before any exercise factored in

Then yes you should. Of course that's that case on paper. There is a normal error rate when logging cals (both burned and consumed), so depending on that error rate and which side you fall one, you may be just fine.

Some common sense says...
    Are you losing? Yes ---> Are your energy levels good? Yes ---> Keep doing what you're doing.
    Are you losing? Yes ---> Are your energy levels good? No ---> Eat a little more.
    Are you losing? No ---> Are your energy levels good? Yes ---> Eat a little less.
    Are you losing? No ---> Are your energy levels good? No ---> That sucks.
  • upandover34
    Options
    that makes sense thanks
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the ladder to success! Keep at it like everyone says. If you were losing more than 1-2 per week at this stage you would probably burn muscle and we don't want you feeling dizzy & falling off those ladders do we?
    You really have done so well and don't expect to lose more at this stage as you have already shed the bulk.
  • upandover34
    Options
    thanks will keep going as i am and as for falling off ladders been there done that dont want any repeats ;}