BEGINNER needing help with weight training

Options
I'll start out by apologizing to all of you who are way more advanced at all of this and are baffled by my lack of knowledge. :smile:

I'm very overweight, but committed to changing my life. I have not always been heavy, but I've never exercised regularly. I've been eating lower carb (mostly veggies and pork, chicken and turkey) and doing cardio (workout videos, racquetball and elliptical). I know that I should incorporate weights to aid in weight loss, but I do not even know where to start. My husband has tried to help, but I feel like he's trying to make me do more than I can... I've read through MANY posts on the topic, but I get overwhelmed. I don't know what 5x5 means! I don't understand loading.... Please help!
I'm looking for input from people that are familiar with different types of weight lifting, but are patient enough to explain it to me as if I've need been in a gym. :happy:

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you think you can do it yourself and get the form down, try bodybuilding.com. I get my workouts from them and there great and have a ton of different programs. If not I would suggest hiring a person trainer to get you started and show you the moves. Hope that helps!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    In what way do you feel your husband is making you do more than you can? Having someone in person to help you is a great resource!! Maybe give your husband another shot?
  • ashcphillips
    Options
    I feel your pain! But I don't have a husby to holler at me. I'm also super fitness stupid....so I really hope people have some advice! I hear things about toning all the time, but I know nothing about it!!

A
  • Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In what way do you feel your husband is making you do more than you can? Having someone in person to help you is a great resource!! Maybe give your husband another shot?

Because it's too hard! LOL I guess I want to know exactly what kind of exercises I should do to start building muscle underneath my flab. I will work out with him, but I want to know that I'm doing the proper exercises for my needs. I feel like he thinks about how he lifts weights and just has me do the same thing with less lbs. I want to do the most efficient workout to aid in weight loss.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would go with an actual lifting program for beginners instead of trying to make something up from scratch:

New Rules of Lifting For Women (book)
    Starting Strength (book)
    Stronglifts 5x5 (download from internet)

I always feel kind of bad for most of the women trying to work out with their husbands. They seem to stand around a lot and then do a whole bunch of biceps curls with 10 lb dumbbells. Most people aren't great teachers, and aren't qualified to be trainers. Men do not understand that women do not have the same natural strength that they are blessed with.

I love the New Rules of Lifting programs, but also incorporate some Stronglifts workouts, too.
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I totally feel ya! Weight training can be intimidating. I have found a lot of success with the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred videos. I got mine for $7 at Target. I highly highly recommend it. I started off with 3.5 pound hand weights and am now up to 8 pound weights. I like her workouts because they are short (apprx 24 mins long) and sustainable for me. I totally have been surprised at how I've been able to build muscle with a workout video. Some of the workouts are on YouTube, so you can try them out before buying the DVD to see if you like them. Best of luck!!!
  • Race2the9
    Race2the9 Posts: 77
    Options
    fit_french is correct... you need to consult a trainer. Most gyms include one for the 1st month in membership. but if you are doing it on your own,there are a myriad of websites that you can go to; on youtube you will find many, many vids relating to this very subject.

My advise is simple; start off light 5 to 10lbs and work on getting your form correct!!! once the muscle memory kicks in (about 3weeks if training daily) then you will feel the need to add more weight. This rule applies to both free weights and machines.

I have been doing 5 sets of 20reps... thats anything that I do wieght related. I do a form of "circuit training" where I pick 2 or 3 machines or free weight styles and switch with every set.

Have fun and be safe!
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just do dumbells at home. I do various exercises using different weights. So I use a heavier weight for biceps and shoulders and lighter weights for other. I do 3-4 sets of about 15-20 reps at least each.

Just take is slow. Maybe just have hubby show you some different exercises you can do at your own level. He should keep in mind that you are basically a beginner. If you have the money, maybe get a personal trainer to help you. At least a session or two to help get you started.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    5 x5 means lift the weights five times (reps) for five times. Or a total of 25 times broken up in repititions of 5 each.

Weight lifting is fun don't be afraid of the weights or lifting heavy weights.. It will make you feel powerful and strong.

As a bigger person you should be stronger than you expect. Imagine you are lifting your own body weight and carrying it around all day.

5 x 5 usually refers to the strong lifts program. You can google strong lifts and he has explanations as well as videos. Ask your husband what program he is following or where he got his lifting plan from then google it.

Bodybuilding.com as someone mentioned has lots of plans.
  • ckmama
    Options
    If your husband is weight training exercises that use multiple muscles like pull downs, rows, bench press, squats, lunges, leg press, chest flys? Then those are all exercises that will work for you. I would focus on multi muscle exercise and not isolation weight training right now. You need to build muscle and burn fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Because it's too hard! LOL I guess I want to know exactly what kind of exercises I should do to start building muscle underneath my flab. I will work out with him, but I want to know that I'm doing the proper exercises for my needs. I feel like he thinks about how he lifts weights and just has me do the same thing with less lbs. I want to do the most efficient workout to aid in weight loss.

Go with an actual program directed at beginners in the weight room...

-New Rules of Lifting for Women (wife is doing this and loves it)
    - Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe is awesome and this is where I started when I got back into the weight room)
    - Stronglifts 5x5 (Good program...very similar to Starting Strength but a 5x5 format rather than 3x5)

These resources have built in routines and will show you how to do the movements properly. They all start pretty light, but are progressive in nature....this means you up your work load (weights) consistently through the program. This is how you achieve your strength goals and muscle. These programs focus primarily on the big, compound lifts that beginners get the most benefits from...a lot of assistance work and isolation work at this stage of the game is pretty much worthless. You want the big, compound lifts to work as many muscles in unison as possible for a full body workout.

Also, it's supposed to be hard...but I guarantee you can do more than you think you can do. Put away the 5 Lb dumbbells and stop wasting your time. My wife is 5'2" and 125 Lbs and she's now squatting around her body weight x 12 reps with a barbell (I think NRoLfW is 12 reps, I'll have to verify with her...but the weight is right).
  • ckmama
    Options
    You could also check these out.

There are ones for each body part you need to work.

https://www.exercise.com/equipment/chest-workout-chart
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    why not start with pushups, assisted pullups, assisted dips, bodyweight squats, etc? you dont actually have to load weight to be weight training.

from there, you can incorporate some more compound movements, though i would have someone with some expertise teach you these movements.

jumping into a Stronglifts/5x5 kind of problem with no active guidance standing next to you is just going to be hard.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Also, take a look at Bodybuilding.com which has different routines for beginners, women, et al.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you're working out at home with your husband and you have a barbell available, do Stronglifts 5x5. You only need to do 3 different lifts a day. You only need to learn 5 different lifts. They are probably the same lifts your husband is already doing, and if he's not, you should have him stop what he's doing and do SL with you. Pay close attention to your form when you first start out - start light, get the form down, then add a little weight every time you workout.

It's supposed to be hard, so be prepared to struggle. But the sense of accomplishment when you complete that last rep on that last set ... there's nothing like it!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Also, it's supposed to be hard...but I guarantee you can do more than you think you can do. Put away the 5 Lb dumbbells and stop wasting your time. My wife is 5'2" and 125 Lbs and she's now squatting around her body weight x 12 reps with a barbell (I think NRoLfW is 12 reps, I'll have to verify with her...but the weight is right).

^^This was my first thought too. It's supposed to be hard. Last year when I first started working with a trainer, he was pushing me hard. I kept saying "I can't" over and over. He finally said to me, "Listen, I see you do hard *kitten* every day. You work 40+ hours a week, you work hard at eating right, you provide for yourself. You do hard *kitten* every day. Why are you shying away from this particular hard *kitten*??" Hmmm, good questiont. I realized that without doing hard stuff, I was never going to reach my goal. I even tacked up a reminder on my computer monitor at work. I.D.H.T. "I do hard things." Embrace the hard!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    If you're intimidated by the gym, you don't have to go there. i workout at home with dumbbells and Love it! I do Chalean Extreme from Beachbody. It's really good as Chalene Johnson, the trainer, shows you the proper form to avoid injury. I personally prefer a DVD where I can see a person in action rather than a book because I'm visual. But it's a matter of preferences.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

^^This was my first thought too. It's supposed to be hard. Last year when I first started working with a trainer, he was pushing me hard. I kept saying "I can't" over and over. He finally said to me, "Listen, I see you do hard *kitten* every day. You work 40+ hours a week, you work hard at eating right, you provide for yourself. You do hard *kitten* every day. Why are you shying away from this particular hard *kitten*??" Hmmm, good questiont. I realized that without doing hard stuff, I was never going to reach my goal. I even tacked up a reminder on my computer monitor at work. I.D.H.T. "I do hard things." Embrace the hard!

Nice! I would put instead I.D.H.S. "I do hard *kitten*" ! :)
  • pbrinnm
    pbrinnm Posts: 39
    Options
    Hire a trainer-even it's for just one session. He/She will help you learn how to train safely. He/She can help you set up a training plan.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Nice! I would put instead I.D.H.S. "I do hard *kitten*" ! :)
    LOL, Yeah, I though about that......but I knew someone was going to ask what it meant, and I was trying to keep it expletive-free at work.