TDEE

Options
Please, someone tell me what this is, and how I should use it? I've heard quite a bit on it here, but I didn't understand ANY of it. I'm 205lbs, 5'2" and have moderate activity. How many cals, etc. should I eat to be able to lose 1-2lbs a week? TIA :)

Replies

• keithf1138
    keithf1138 Posts: 63
    Options
    I think of it this way.

TDEE is the average daily calories you actually burn per day. So TDEE of 3500 would mean to stay exactly where you are now you would need to maintain the same activity and eat 3500 calories of food/drink per day.
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    I used this for the first 3 months of my journey then I bought a fitbit. Turns out the free calculator was dead on! I would never give up my fitbit though! I absolutely love it! Hope that helps!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I used this for the first 3 months of my journey then I bought a fitbit. Turns out the free calculator was dead on! I would never give up my fitbit though! I absolutely love it! Hope that helps!

....what percentage should I put my calorie reduction to if I want to lose weight? also, what should I put my macro nutrient ratios to? TIA :)
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    Options
    bump

What does 'bum' mean? Just curious
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    TDEE stands for total daily energy expenditure. It's the number of calories your body burns in a day. It's also the number of calories you would need to eat to maintain your current weight.

We're all working from estimates when we figure our TDEE and you've been given calculators above. It's usually recommended that you eat about 20% less than your TDEE to lose weight. Eating at too small a deficit will mean slow weightloss or no weight loss at all if your calorie estimates are off. Eating at too large a deficit can mess with your bodies hormones and/or cause it to consume your muscle mass to find the energy it needs. In turn, this could stall out your weight loss completely. Stick to a moderate deficit for healthy and sustainable weight loss.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    bump

bump literally stands for "bring up my post." It's a way to "bump" a post to the top of the boards, and also saves the post in your list of "my topics" to find later.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

....what percentage should I put my calorie reduction to if I want to lose weight? also, what should I put my macro nutrient ratios to? TIA :)

It depends on how much weight you have to lose. The less you have to lose, the slower you have to go. 5-20 Lbs then TDEE - 5-10%; 20-75 Lbs 15%-20%; more than 75% you can cut more but please consult a physician.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    Options
    bump

bump literally stands for "bring up my post." It's a way to "bump" a post to the top of the boards, and also saves the post in your list of "my topics" to find later.

so, is there a specific place you have to go to to "bump" or do you just type it out? Sorry, I'm new to all this ;)
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    bump

so, is there a specific place you have to go to to "bump" or do you just type it out? Sorry, I'm new to all this ;)

There's no button or command for it. You just type it out like a regular reply.