Jump rope, anyone?

Options
Hi! I'm new here and signing up has already added to my motivation to lose 40 pounds by October. I tried jogging for a couple of weeks but I hurt my leg and had to stop. Now I'm into jumping rope (or whatever the correct term is). I heard it's pretty effective. Any firsthand experience?

Replies

• clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is probably about as hard on your legs as running. I would suggest elliptical, bicycling or underwater running. Those are fairly low impact but can give you great workouts.

Add me if you want some motivation!
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I love the jump rope. Learned how to really do it well when i was in my teens doing boxing. It's great cardio and low impact. You almost dance with the jump rope by changing up footwork, changing pace, etc. One tip, is when you mess up, don't stop jumping. Keep jumping with the rope dangling, then start to whip the rope forward again on each side of your body and then get the momentum going, open it up, and hop right back into it. Hard to explain, but it's effective for cardio. Full body cardio.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    After reading this I think I might start to take it up too!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/377954-is-jumping-rope-good-for-weight-loss/

hope that helps :]
  • What316
    What316 Posts: 563
    Options
    Boxer when younger still love jumping rope when training
  • sharris215
    sharris215 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a short-ish (17 minutes) jump rope video led by Michael Olajide Jr. and it's awesome! My calves are killing me but after a few weeks I already have more stamina and am able to breathe deeper and easier than before I started. The first day I could only get through 9 minutes, the next time 11, the next time 14...I just kept pushing myself to do a little more each time and I felt like I could conquer the world when I finally finished the whole workout (took me 6 tries, I do it 3 days/week). Now that I know I'm able to finish the whole thing, I LOVE the rush of adrenaline & endorphins I get at the end. The nice thing about jumping rope is you can make it higher impact with bigger movements, or lower, depending on your fitness level or how much energy you have that day. I love it so I say go for it & good luck!
  • Rauee
    Rauee Posts: 10
    Options
    Jumping rope is probably about as hard on your legs as running. I would suggest elliptical, bicycling or underwater running. Those are fairly low impact but can give you great workouts.

Add me if you want some motivation!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm a work from home and other more interesting and serious types of workout are not possible for me at all. Jogging, jump rope, yoga and maybe Zumba are pretty much all my choices for now.
  • Rauee
    Options
    I love the jump rope. Learned how to really do it well when i was in my teens doing boxing. It's great cardio and low impact. You almost dance with the jump rope by changing up footwork, changing pace, etc. One tip, is when you mess up, don't stop jumping. Keep jumping with the rope dangling, then start to whip the rope forward again on each side of your body and then get the momentum going, open it up, and hop right back into it. Hard to explain, but it's effective for cardio. Full body cardio.

It burns a lot of calories, too, which is awesome. Hopefully it works as well for me as it did for you. :)
  • Rauee
    Options
    After reading this I think I might start to take it up too!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/377954-is-jumping-rope-good-for-weight-loss/

hope that helps :]

Yes! Thank you! :)
  • Rauee
    Options
    I've been doing a short-ish (17 minutes) jump rope video led by Michael Olajide Jr. and it's awesome! My calves are killing me but after a few weeks I already have more stamina and am able to breathe deeper and easier than before I started. The first day I could only get through 9 minutes, the next time 11, the next time 14...I just kept pushing myself to do a little more each time and I felt like I could conquer the world when I finally finished the whole workout (took me 6 tries, I do it 3 days/week). Now that I know I'm able to finish the whole thing, I LOVE the rush of adrenaline & endorphins I get at the end. The nice thing about jumping rope is you can make it higher impact with bigger movements, or lower, depending on your fitness level or how much energy you have that day. I love it so I say go for it & good luck!

Thank you for the encouragement! I haven't heard a bad thing about jump rope that's why I'm more decided to do more of it than jogging or yoga. Let's see how it works for me!