1240 cal goal??? 5'7" and 186

Options
Hello, Looking for a quick word of advice here.

According to MFP My calorie intake should be around 1240, with 4, 40 min workouts/week. I have about 30+ to lose and I was hoping to lose1-1 1/2 per week.
I'm doing fairly good at sticking to that calorie range and working out regularly. I haven't been able to eat back my exercise burned since its normal for me to be going for long walk shortly before bed. 9-10 o'clock or so.
I've been tracking consistently for about 2 months now with just 4 lbs lost, and my inches have stayed the same.
Question is: is this a normal range being that in 5'7" & 186? Or whats goin on here...

Replies

• liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You might be eating too little. If you're only eating 1240 calories and not eating back your excersise calories, you could only be living on 900 or so calories a day (depending on how much you excersise). A lot of people don't lose weight on so little calories because their body goes into starvation mode. Try and up your calories a bit, maybe 1500 or so. A lot of people seem to see a jump in weight loss when they up their calories apparently! worth a try :)
  • naomiinkster1
    naomiinkster1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ahh never thought about it in the 900 terms. that makes sense. I just assumed that the way the app calculated it would be accurate. I'll have to try uping it! thanks
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    We are basically the same (I'm 35), but same weight/height. I eat about 2100 calories a day with working out (moderate activity). Lose about 1lb/ week (average). I net my BMR at 1650.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 193, and my calorie goal is 1200 (without exercise) -- so 1240 for you sounds about right.

I don't eat all of my exercise calories back every time, but I do try to eat at least half of them back--so if you know you're going to walk in the evening, maybe try to eat more earlier in the day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    if you know you're going to exercise in the evening you can take in the extra cals during the day in order to "eat them back" and maintain the original deficit you've set in MFP.

If you think the 1240 is too low set a lower weight loss rate.
  • liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am eating 1200 a day. At first I was a bit confused the way MFP lets you eat back the calories. At first I didn't think that seemed right but then looked at a few posts on here and saw that you are actually allowed to eat back your excersise calories because thats the way MFP works as it organises your deficit for you. Or something along those lines lol. So I always make sure I have something extra on my exercise days because of that! Good luck :)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hello, Looking for a quick word of advice here.

According to MFP My calorie intake should be around 1240, with 4, 40 min workouts/week. I have about 30+ to lose and I was hoping to lose1-1 1/2 per week.
    I'm doing fairly good at sticking to that calorie range and working out regularly. I haven't been able to eat back my exercise burned since its normal for me to be going for long walk shortly before bed. 9-10 o'clock or so.
    I've been tracking consistently for about 2 months now with just 4 lbs lost, and my inches have stayed the same.
    Question is: is this a normal range being that in 5'7" & 186? Or whats goin on here...

So eat your exercise calories back. If you are going for a walk eat more during the day. Not that hard really.
  • naomiinkster1
    naomiinkster1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Will do. thanks