Substitute for Coffee?

Options
I crave coffee like crazy! I like mine with a lot of sugar and creamer too and one of my old binges used to be coffee flavored ice cream or frappucinos :/ I've been craving it for like two weeks straight and can't quit thinking about wanting it all the time. Does anyone have a good substitute? I've tried drinking it black or with just a little sugar/creamer and it's just not the same.
I don't like having it constantly on my brain because I keep telling myself no, but at the same time I don't want my willpower to fail.
What do you use to combat your cravings, but stick to something healthy?

Replies

• jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Why deprive yourself of something you really enjoy? Fit it into your daily calorie allowance.

I tried to drink my coffee black and gagged it down for a week or so, but seriously....why stress out about coffee? If you can't fit in a 150 calorie coffee, perhaps your calorie goal is set too low. BTW, I eat 2200 a day, so pretty much anything can be fit into my day if I really want it. :wink:
  • Rotten_Apple
    Rotten_Apple Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I drink Tazo Iced Green Tea instead of coffee but I only drink 1/2 bottle at a time and not everyday (it has sugar in it). Sorry I am not much help...I gave up my daily coffee too for the same reasons as you!
  • FerociousKoala
    FerociousKoala Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My reason is pretty much that it's almost more cream and sugar than coffee even :/ and as far as Starbucks everything has even more sugar and whipped cream and such. I do like their "skinny" versions but it's still a lot of sugar. And to me it's just not the same any other way. I guess I should say I like my cream with coffee in it :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I still drink it.

two possible solutions:

- have it the way you like it, but just have less of it. (smaller size for example or less often). Make it fit your calories for the day
    - get used to having it a different way, so you can have it as often as you wish.

I did a little of both. Got used to less milk, use skim instead of cream, got used to less sweet in it. Drink a smaller size, or I have it less often. I actually don't like it as sweet as I used to, and now the cream tastes like butter.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have coffee all the time, just change what you put in it. I used to used sweeteners and cream, now just some milk.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I switched to half creamer, half almond milk. Great taste, less calories :tongue:
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Nonfat Half & Half and sugar-free Torani flavored syrups - I have them every morning in my coffee.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I still drink it. I just limit the amount of creamer I use and I buy better coffee, so it tastes better and doesn't need to be doctored up as much.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If you really want to wean yourself off the way you have coffee you could slowly change the way you have it. Switch from cream to milk and then eventually skim. Slowly lessen the sugar until you no longer need it. Or like others have suggested just have small portions less frequently.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I still drink it. I just limit the amount of creamer I use and I buy better coffee, so it tastes better and doesn't need to be doctored up as much.

OMG YES - THIS!! Better coffee will require less added to it!!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I personally empathize with the OP as to me coffee with milk has a radically different and unpleasant taste with milk than it does with cream.

I drink flavored Keurig coffees and use Land O'Lakes Mini-Moos Half and Half which are just 10 calories per serving and sweeten it with Splenda. If I use 2 creamers and 3 Splenda, that's about 25 calories per cup and tastes pretty good. If you can't fit even 25 or 50 extra calories a day for something you enjoy, then yeah, your calories are probably too low.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just fit it in my calories every day. I love my morning coffee <3 I use Café Compliments creamer and no sugar, tastes yummy <3
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I still drink coffee...but kick it down to 2 cups max. If you aren't too scared of calorie free sweeteners use those, and get the sugar free creamers....or better yet make your own creamers, there are recipes all over the net to make your own creamers. I am doing that this weekend with almond milk.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You could try dandelion tea it tastes life coffee no joke and you can put creamer and sugar in it just the same ,I like coffee but not the caffeine so much so I have that once in awhile:)even decaffeinated isn't completely free of caffiene
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options

OMG YES - THIS!! Better coffee will require less added to it!!

Better coffee and try the fat free instant creamers. 2 tsp is only 20 cals and 0 fat. I love my k-kup Kahlua with the creamer in it!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for coffay! Learn to love it black or with a little sugar, silk, milk, ice... Don't give up on the coffay!
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    I limit myself to just 2 cups of coffee in the A.M. I add unsweetened almond milk & 1 trivia packet. I really like it! The calorie are really low also!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I use half and half. The fat in dairy is healthy fat, so I figure why not?
  • emilylanham917
    emilylanham917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Coffee is one thing that i won't deprive myself of. Coffee isn't bad for you, it's what you put in it. Almost any diet that I've ever been on has allowed coffee, just not the cream and sugar (which I drank A LOT of).... when I started MFP I switched to the sugar free creamers because I liked the flavor. I usually add a packet of the domino light to it which is half sugar half stevia. If you are trying to lose weight, you can have anything in moderation, just make better choices. Don't cut out something completely that you really love, just cut back. If you like iced coffee, ID has an iced coffee that you can buy in a "light" form, it's only 100 calories a glass. Not too bad.