Burning heel pain

Options
I'm copying a post from another forum because it describes what I have going on pretty well. I just noticed it this morning; not sure what I did.
My left heel hurts. It's not the normal type of pain. It's like a painful burning sensation. I'm sure it's related to exercising but it only started about 7-10 days ago. It's not a constant pain and I don't feel any pain at all when doing the actual exercise. It occurs only when I do something funny or I stretch out my calf. Specifically, the stretch were you put toes against the wall and your heel on the floor and basically lean forward. This exercise also probably stretches the Achilles' tendon too.

My hunch is Achilles Tendinitis but the pain feels lower than the tendon. Like it's the actual bone or something.

Any other ideas of what it might be?

Ankle_med_ligs_labeled_copy.JPG

The thing connecting the tibia to the heel is the area in pain; specifically, where it attaches to the heel. It doesn't hurt unless I stretch (sharp burning) or if my heel strikes the ground when walking (mild burning). It doesn't hurt while exercising (lifted and elliptical today). Does anyone know what the area is called? I have an idea but I'm not 100% sure. I'm trying to self-diagnose since no insurance and no money makes going to the doctor a major deal.

Replies

• 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with joints...tendons...ligaments...etc. Burning pain should be checked out by a doctor. Good luck!
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds like plantar facieitous.....Had it several years ago and lasted several months....most painful when you first get up in the am and put your feet on the floor...after a few minutes of walking the pain subsides.....lousy condition to have! Stretching the foot as you described is what is recommended as well as icing and wearing ortho pads to cushion.....I thought I would lose my mind but eventually it did go away. Poor footwear and weight gain or just overdoing the walking/running, etc...are the major causes....Good Luck!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This, lots of stretching the foot AND the Achilles And The Gastrocnemius AND the Soleus.... When one of these get tight--for me it is a chain reaction! I used a tennis ball and sit on the floor, roll my calves over it. When you find the spot that is super tight you know it! It hurts!!! move on down the leg, to the achilles...and then finish by standing, grinding your heel into the floor, and then rolling the rest of your foot over the tennis ball. ahhhhh!

But if the pain is severe--have it checked out by a Dr. or PT!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I partially tore my achilles.......did not have heel pain at all. Do you have a lump sticking out of you achilles?
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    No lumps or bumps. The pain only happens if I stretch or hit my heel too hard on the ground when walking. It didn't hurt when I got up this morning, I only noticed it when I stood up at work to stretch a few hours later.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This was happening to me for the last three weeks. Today I woke up and the pain was gone. The difference? I have been walking three hours a day instead of one.
  • kellymiller23
    Options
    Sounds like plantar facieitous.....Had it several years ago and lasted several months....most painful when you first get up in the am and put your feet on the floor...after a few minutes of walking the pain subsides.....lousy condition to have! Stretching the foot as you described is what is recommended as well as icing and wearing ortho pads to cushion.....I thought I would lose my mind but eventually it did go away. Poor footwear and weight gain or just overdoing the walking/running, etc...are the major causes....Good Luck!

This was my first thought as well, because my husband has it and the pain was all in the heel area. The pain in the morning is caused by that ligament partially healing itself while you sleep, then re-tearing when you get up. If you're not having morning pain in your foot, I'm not sure if that's it, but it could be the beginning stages. He has been using ortho inserts and a brace at night, and it's helped a lot.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

This was my first thought as well, because my husband has it and the pain was all in the heel area. The pain in the morning is caused by that ligament partially healing itself while you sleep, then re-tearing when you get up. If you're not having morning pain in your foot, I'm not sure if that's it, but it could be the beginning stages. He has been using ortho inserts and a brace at night, and it's helped a lot.

I am on board with this answer but I am not a Dr. If it is PF, you will need to ice it, take anti inflammatory meds and try to keep off of it. I have a special boot type thing that has an air pocket for my arch to take the impact away from my heel. I also keep a frozen water bottele in my freezer to roll back and forth under my foot, stopping on the heel for a second or two longer. Another exercise is to pick up a dish towel with your toes.

Good luck, pain sucks, it just plain sucks. Especially when we are trying to be healthy.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have this too - Its tendonitis and the only remedy is rest (which aint too good when you're on a training program!)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

I am on board with this answer but I am not a Dr. If it is PF, you will need to ice it, take anti inflammatory meds and try to keep off of it. I have a special boot type thing that has an air pocket for my arch to take the impact away from my heel. I also keep a frozen water bottele in my freezer to roll back and forth under my foot, stopping on the heel for a second or two longer. Another exercise is to pick up a dish towel with your toes.

Good luck, pain sucks, it just plain sucks. Especially when we are trying to be healthy.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Plantar faciitis.Not uncommon. Have to stretch it and try to keep the ankle/foot at 90 degrees as much as possible even when sleeping. This is why some places have you in a boot. Try to stay away from exercises that irritate it. Once inflammation reduces, do exercises that work on flexibility of the area.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition