Day 1 of insanity, have i lost my marbles?

Options
hey so im Jay, currently serving in the British army and ive taken up the insanity challenge.

my background fitness: I do 5x 60min PT sessions with the army a week from running, circuits, tabbing, battle PT, log running and med evacuation. this is still happening while i take on Shaun T's insanity challenge. (i think i maybe slightly mad)

So my goal?

Beef up and gain more muscle and definition.

Day 1 test results:

switch kicks = 126
power jacks = 50
power knee's = 71
knee over ankles = 42 jumps
suicide jumps = 20
push up jacks = 20
plank crunch = 43

now i don't know how that fairs to others but i can say this... i sweated more in that 10 mins than i ever have doing Army PT sessions. i was quite shocked. and i felt muscles id never before.

59 days to go! :D

Replies

• clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am nowhere near ready to try Insanity, but once I get lower in weight I am going to try it or P90X. I hear they both can just kick your hole! Good luck!
  • Jess04920
    Jess04920 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yikes...just reading the exercises in the fit test makes me sweat!

I bought Insanity over a year ago and am still to chicken to try it! That's definitely one of my goals.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do great!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    hell no.
    go
    go
    go
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes Insanity got it's name right :) GOOD LUCK!
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am on month 2 week 2 day 5 tomorrow and it does nt get easier but I am seeing good results stick with it you won't be sorry!
  • TrishaCooper423
    TrishaCooper423 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome with those fit test results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will LOVE insanity!!
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've pondered it. and PX90. I have a friend who does the insanity. She's a runner and is pretty fit and even she says she's massively sore and miserable doing it, but she loves it! But I'm no where near doing anything that intense. I can't even do a cycle ride for 10 miles without being extremely winded and falling off my bike.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I did insanity for a month and I got bored of it, but you will find muscles that you never knew you had. Good Luck. 1 down, 59 more to go!
  • JayD8924
    JayD8924 Posts: 5
    Options
    What time of day do you guys do the insanity challenge?
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    About P90X...you actually don't have to be 'smaller' to do the workouts. I did most of the workouts (to hell with yoga atm), and I'm over 300lbs.

You will have to take a few breaks, but after a week or so you notice that you can keep up better. The trick is to stick with it once you start, which was my problem. (Yay not wanting to workout in the living room when having roommates!)

Good luck with your super insanity! =D
  • JayD8924
    JayD8924 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yikes...just reading the exercises in the fit test makes me sweat!

I bought Insanity over a year ago and am still to chicken to try it! That's definitely one of my goals.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do great!

Get it done :) nothing beats some hard graft and the fitness rewards you gain :)
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    On my first fit test, I did 2 push up jacks. I was KILLING IT! (not really)
  • lashonda28
    lashonda28 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just start insanity and its the craziest workout I have every done. I believe with clean eating and staying commited to this exercise we will def see results. However, I do my workouts at night. Good luck!!
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it bro,I did it 2months ago and it's good fun but it won't build muscle for you I don't think as its mainly cardio,I've seen far better results with 2months of strength training than 2months of insanity but it would be great for leaning out
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    If Insanity is too insane, you can always change your mind and try a different fitness program instead. It's not something I plan to try any time soon, but to each his own.
  • jonelle2014
    jonelle2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    midway into week 2 of Insantiy~~ Just happy to be able to almost make it through warm ups without taking a break! It is tough but I love it!! Sweat more than I ever did at the gym!
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Not until you can quote the entire workout and comments from memory: "don't have your legs too wide...JOSH".

Insanity is a conditioning program, rather than a weight loss routine, and certainly not a muscle building program. Your biggest gains are in cardio and mental toughness. I love to hate it.

Earning the insanity shirt was probably one of the single most difficult things I've ever done. And one of the things I'm most proud of.

Dig deeper!
  • KristaHuyer
    KristaHuyer Posts: 57
    Options
    HAHAH laughed out loud to this. I am in week 4 right now, and doing it with my brother. Everytime that comes on we yell "JOSH" . Pretty funny.
    Not until you can quote the entire workout and comments from memory: "don't have your legs too wide...JOSH".

Insanity is a conditioning program, rather than a weight loss routine, and certainly not a muscle building program. Your biggest gains are in cardio and mental toughness. I love to hate it.

Earning the insanity shirt was probably one of the single most difficult things I've ever done. And one of the things I'm most proud of.

Dig deeper!
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    If any exercise program is making you feel too sore after doing it for a week or so, it could be doing more harm than good.

I know someone that tried to force their way through a similar program when they were already very sore, and they pulled a muscle and had to take time off. So digging deeper when you are already tired and sore isn't always a good idea

Anyway, after about a week, I would recommend that you take time to evaluate whether it's really the right fitness program for you to attempt,
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    100% Know your limits and know the difference between the SORENESS of pushing your muscles and the PAIN doing damage. Insanity is a huge challenge. Recovery is important. Once I got my shirt I gave up the 6 days a week training in favor of training every other day because I think recovery is important and avoiding injury is paramount. Nutrition is also critical because you are pushing your body past it's familiar limits and likely into uncharted territory (although military PT probably helps you already).

It's not for everyone, but it can be a tremendous accomplishment to get 'er done.

Insanity is also very scalable, meaning you can do a scaled down version with longer rest periods, less reps, slower tempo, etc, and still progress a lot right up into hardcore training.

For those that know the program, you may enjoy this:

http://thinklikemaxwell.blogspot.ca/2012/02/things-i-hate-about-insanity-workout.html