Strange reaction to loosing weight

Options
Ok so im not sure wasnt sure which message board to post this in but this one said help so I thought id give it a go!

Anyway after i have previously read in forums about what are the strangest things people have said to you upon loosing weight (and there are some strange and funny ones), my problem is not what people are saying to me, its my reaction to what they are saying.

A lot of people have said to me wow you look great you can see the weight dropping off and so on, but I find my self completley stuck what to say back to them, do I say thankyou, do I give them my diet plan, do I say oh really I hadnt noticed??? I have found myself just becoming really shy and been so tounge twisted that all I can do is smile.

So my question is, is there anyone else out there that like me actually feels quite embarrassed at compliments? And also people say that when they loose weight their confidence grows, but mine dosent seem to be, if anything its going the other way!

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I feel so much better too.

PS, you might have used your weight to hide before and you will need to get more comfortable being "seen"
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Ok so im not sure wasnt sure which message board to post this in but this one said help so I thought id give it a go!

Anyway after i have previously read in forums about what are the strangest things people have said to you upon loosing weight (and there are some strange and funny ones), my problem is not what people are saying to me, its my reaction to what they are saying.

A lot of people have said to me wow you look great you can see the weight dropping off and so on, but I find my self completley stuck what to say back to them, do I say thankyou, do I give them my diet plan, do I say oh really I hadnt noticed??? I have found myself just becoming really shy and been so tounge twisted that all I can do is smile.

So my question is, is there anyone else out there that like me actually feels quite embarrassed at compliments? And also people say that when they loose weight their confidence grows, but mine dosent seem to be, if anything its going the other way!

Whenever anyone compliments you on anything, the proper response is, "Thank you". We are conditioned by society to downplay our accomplishments, and that's why you feel embarrassed. Practice saying thanks, take credit for what you've done, and after a time it will become easier.
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I heard a lot when I lost weight. I try my best to grin, say thank you and "Boy it's tough work. Lots of eating healthy and exercise." Mostly the replies were "Well you look great!" "Thanks again!" It's embarrassing (esp since I"m fairly shy) but heck you've earned it! Listen to it and soak it up.
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I say thank you, and don't start sharing about calorie counting and my exercise unless asked.

I'm shy, so the compliments and extra attention do make me uncomfortable. In that way, it was easier to be heavier, I was fine with being more invisible. lol
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Many people are shy about succeeding in losing weight and expressing that success. Just say thank you and don't elaborate if you don't feel comfortable doing so. Undoubtedly someone will ask how you did it, so just say "diet and exercise". Be proud of your accomplishment but don't think you need to open yourself up to everyone who asks.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    A simple Thank You should suffice! 21lbs down is a big deal. Be proud of yourself!
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    No way. I love it when people notice I'm losing weight. Just smile and say thanks.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    You're hot, so I'm reluctant to say anything out of fear of you never talking to me...but here it goes.. It's lose. Not loose. I'm sorry. Please don't be mad at me :(
  • wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just say 'yeah I've lost some weight, still workin on it but. Thanks'
  • donna123smile
    donna123smile Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I say ''Thanks, I feel amazing!" because it's true!
  • shamah84
    shamah84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I actually get like this too!! But I am not shy. I say thank you! I've just trying to be healthy by eating better and working out but even then I don't know what else to say and sometimes like if it happens too often in one day I just kind of smile too. Now I recently got a haircut and the same people keep telling me how great it looks on me and if I say I love it too thank you they act like I should've just said oh you think so? Thank you! I just get the shocked looked like "Oh well damn. Excuze me." You know what? LOL I can be proud of my hair or looking and feeling better. You should too. It's your hard work that has gotten you there!! Keep your head up and be proud! You look great! :D
  • andieellengreen
    andieellengreen Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You're hot, so I'm reluctant to say anything out of fear of you never talking to me...but here it goes.. It's lose. Not loose. I'm sorry. Please don't be mad at me :(

Haha thanks I did realise after typing but im on a night shift at work and its 2am in the morning so im quite tired lol
  • NoraisTreble
    NoraisTreble Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the relationship one has with the people "commenting." For example, when I lost 5 itty bitty pounds, my husband (of 4 years) noticed (but he loves me to "infinity and beyond" to quote Buzz Lightyear) - and was like "WOW - what you are doing is working!" People who I have known and worked with (we are very close) didn't notice any change until around 10 lbs. lost. People who knew me at my smallest (size 0 - 110 lbs - 12 years ago - before thyroid disorder and menopause) are only starting to recognize that I have lost 17 lbs! I am not looking to be size 2 - and at 50 years old, I think a 125 lbs body and a size 6 is a reasonable goal. Ultimately, I want to be fit and healthy. But, more importantly - happy with me.
  • crazypeachs
    crazypeachs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i don't think i'll EVER get to where you are, but this was quite insightful. i'm shy, so it's always good to be prepared, right? :smile:

thanks!
  • izzydeparis007
    Options
    Hey,
    I think you just provided the appropriate answer... If the smile you return to your compliments is genuine then there is nothing much to say, except to add...thank you.
    Be realistic and feel good about yourself. You look great!... and I wish you could feel the way you look...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    "Thanks. I've been working hard at it," said with a big smile.

Was that so hard?
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You want to LOSE weight.
    You are LOSING weight.
    Your shoelaces are LOOSE. You should tighten them.

Come on people! I'm sure we all graduated grade school.
  • andieellengreen
    andieellengreen Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You want to LOSE weight.
    You are LOSING weight.

well you obviously cant read because someone already beat you to it THANK YOU!!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You want to LOSE weight.
    You are LOSING weight.

Well, that was helpful, supportive and on-topic. You sure are smart.