Phentermine, Healthy Dieting?

Options
I workout 5 days a week by running one mile on the treadmill. Running three miles on the elliptical, and doing 3 ab workout machines. I don't count my calories, but I do eat three meals a day and don't really eat junk food. I also start 15mg Phentermine tomorrow... Any advice or tips? Am on the right track. I went from 186 to now 178 in three weeks. My goal overall is 120-130.

Need lunch and dinner options....any sites, or recipes :)

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Any advice or tips?

Yes. Skip the Phentermine, you've been losing weight without it. The side effects are not worth it.
    Doing 3 ab machines won't help you much. I am assuming you do those to "tone"? Skip the ab work and focus on full body movements (squats, deadlifts, bench press, over head press). "Toning" comes with losing fat.
    I would start tracking my calories, for consistency, and to make sure you get enough protein.
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Any advice or tips?

Yes. Skip the Phentermine, you've been losing weight without it. The side effects are not worth it.
    Doing 3 ab machines won't help you much. I am assuming you do those to "tone"? Skip the ab work and focus on full body movements (squats, deadlifts, bench press, over head press). "Toning" comes with losing fat.
    I would start tracking my calories, for consistency, and to make sure you get enough protein.

I second all of this.

Phentermine is not good stuff. I had it once for severe fatigue and it was terrible. I was compulsive on it. Could not stop moving even when I was about crying from exhaustion and really wanted to sit down and rest. I had to force myself to eat anything. It was pretty terrible.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Any advice or tips?

mmm... maybe track your cals instead of taking Phentermine. :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Any advice or tips?

^ Yep.

I can understand not wanting to track your calories. I don't do it, either. But I did do it for awhile to get a grasp on what I was eating, the average amount of calories I was consuming, and how I could make it better. It helps. Maybe try logging for a month or so and see what your intake is, adjust according to that, and skip the speed.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    this sentence kind of has it all.

"After short-term use, tolerance begins and can be followed by rebound weight gain. Long term data for use of phentermine shows no net weight loss."

you sound like your working hard as it is.

Phentermine is typically prescribed for short term use for individuals who are at increased medical risk due to their weight.

180'ish doen't sound life threatening, just be careful!
  • wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Who even prescribed this to you? It has helped me get started but for someone at your weight it isn't necessary. You already have a good routine, save your money. If you're already eating well and exercising well there's no point in taking it. It will just stuff up your sleep pattern and probably make you under-eat and wouldn't help at all.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    REDI4CHANGE60 Posts: 170
    Options
    Contrary to the opinions so far ... I loved Phentermine! Not being hungry helped me to make better choices as to what I put in my mouth, and to not crave the bad stuff. If you are otherwise healthy, then why not? Hoping it works for you!
  • stephiebrit
    stephiebrit Posts: 10
    Options
    I was on the bodybugg counting calories and simply did not work for me. I became obsessed and fainted due to only eating 800 calories a day for a few weeks and was slowly developing an eating disorder. I don't count calories but I try not to have more then what myfitnesspal says for fat grams. I should have 30-40 it says. I am going to try to count calories again....and I will try phen for a month and see where it goes. I dont think i need it that much either but i told her i sometimes overeat and then she said that she will check in with me every two months. Im only on it for two months too. and its 15mg so i pray the side effects are horrid.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I was on the bodybugg counting calories and simply did not work for me. I became obsessed and fainted due to only eating 800 calories a day for a few weeks and was slowly developing an eating disorder. I don't count calories but I try not to have more then what myfitnesspal says for fat grams. I should have 30-40 it says. I am going to try to count calories again....and I will try phen for a month and see where it goes. I dont think i need it that much either but i told her i sometimes overeat and then she said that she will check in with me every two months. Im only on it for two months too. and its 15mg so i pray the side effects are horrid.

I think you need to take some time to educate yourself. Fat isn't the enemy. You need that. Eating below 1200 is not good. You need to figure out your TDEE and set your calorie goal -20% of that. Check out the Eat Traim Progress group and read all the stickies.

Maybe think about seeing a counselor and registered dietitian (not a nutritionist) to discuss about your intake. If you were bordering on an eating disorder...it still sounds like you haven't really stepped away from that mindset. Just took a chemical approach and bombarded yourself with exercise.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

I think you need to take some time to educate yourself. Fat isn't the enemy. You need that. Eating below 1200 is not good. You need to figure out your TDEE and set your calorie goal -20% of that. Check out the Eat Traim Progress group and read all the stickies.

Maybe think about seeing a counselor and registered dietitian (not a nutritionist) to discuss about your intake. If you were bordering on an eating disorder...it still sounds like you haven't really stepped away from that mindset. Just took a chemical approach and bombarded yourself with exercise.

ALL OF THIS!
  • watermillion
    watermillion Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Phentermine made me incredibly sleepy and my sex drive went through the roof. I was so horny that I contemplated carrying my vibrator with me to use on my lunch breaks at work. That's how horny I was. It was too distracting
  • maytes4u
    maytes4u Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Phetermine for 3 weeks now, eating better, but no weight loss yet. i do get extremely horny which had not happened since I had my child. I love that part of it. Wish I was loosening weight though.