Providing childcare and losing weight.

Options
Sooo, I was doing fantasitc in the weight loss department. Eating well, hiking or jogging every day. Then I went out and had a few too many drinks, and had some greasy fast food. I did this 3 weekends in a row and didn't exercise at all. I put back on 3 pounds and vowed to get rid of it and tehn some, but then something happened that is making it a bit more difficult than expected.

My ex lost his job, I lost child support. I was dreading going back to work and not being able to be home to raise my children and spend my evenings and weekends with my fiance. So now I'm watching 3 children in my home on top of my 2 children (6dd & 1ds) Now I can't really eat like I was before because I don't have the time to weigh everything and prepare all my veggies and can't go on the long walks I was previously taking when it was just me and my 2. Does anyone out there have any advice on how to eat well and exercise more while caring for 5 children?

Replies

• twingirls05
    Options
    I wish I had more advice, but I don't :( Just wanted to send you a lot of hugs and good luck vibes. I have 3 children of my own and I do full-time daycare for 1 more (so, total they are 1, 2, 5, 5). We don't get out that much b/c the 5 yr olds won't walk that far and then I'm still stuck pushing the other 2 in the double stroller. Takes more effort to get out the door than what we put in on going out. It's so hard when you are at home all day long to maintain a healthy diet. Maybe you could (on the weekends) prepare your fruits and veggies, bag and freeze weighed portions of meat for the week, make ahead some freezer meals (there are some great cookbooks out there for freezer meals...just google it or look on Amazon) to throw in for dinner, etc. I would do a lot of prep work. I know that during the week, I eat a lot of pre-packaged (Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine) meals for my lunches. I know those calories without having to figure anything out and then it's easy to throw in a few raw carrots and a piece of fruit and my lunch is done in 4 mintues. My biggest problem, being home all day, is the mindless snacking on leftovers from the kids' plates, their afternoon snacks, etc.

I hope you are able to find a happy medium. I am not able to exercise at all between the time I wake up in the morning (and I have to get up too early to get up any earlier for a morning exercise routine) and 6 pm at night when my DH gets home. So, I know what you mean. Hang in there!!!
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your hardship; however, I still think you can make this work! Personally, I have four children (6 and under). I am unsure of the ages of the children you are watching; however, I take my four for walks. The older two boys either walk themselves or ride bikes. The younger two are in the double stroller. As a mom to four and with my husbands crazy work schedule (he works 12 hrs...rotating shift), for the most part I have a hard time getting long stretches of workouts in. I have to break it up...some at nap time (or quiet time) and again once the kiddos go to bed. While I would love to workout prior to my DH leaving for work he is out of the house by 5:15am and I just don't see that happening lol. My kiddos are EARLY risers so it doesn't work for me. However, it may work for you.

When it comes to produce eating raw/fresh produce takes little effort. The day you bring home your groceries wash it all so it is ready. Cut up the produce (for example red peppers, melon, etc) so it is ready for you to grab.

Good luck to you!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I'm sure you are exhausted at the end of the day but that is the time I would pre-measure my food for the following day. Put it all in baggies, and if necessary label it all. While you are at it, and to help with the following day, do the same for the children! It should all take about 20 minutes, but thats like an hour when there are children around!

If you aren't cleaning when they are napping or having "down time" try an exercise video! If they don't have "down time" or nap time start one! :-)

The day before, if necessary, come up with some quite project they can do with little or no supervision so that most of your attention can go to getting some form of exercise in. Anything is better than nothing. Consider: coloring, "gardening", legos, even tv! (I'm not big on tv, but 30 minutes a day is a GREAT rest for you!)

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I do know what it is like to watch children and what a difficulty it is for you! Keep your head up!

OH! And, in the evening, if possible: have your husband watch your children while you take a walk in the neighborhood!
  • dmstephens
    Options
    Well I have to say the more kids the more creative you get with exercising. I have been doing yoga with my kids for years. I also did the walk at home series with my kids. If possible get some exercise DVDs from the library to try and see if the kids like jumping around while you jump around. A good way for them to learn. I do early 5 a.m. runs w/ my neighbor a few days a week. And you may be able to find some exercise classes in town which provide child care for your two when you finish sitting the others. I go to Jazzercise and only pay 1.00 a kid for my hour class which is a great deal and they provide alot of class times for me to select from. Just some ideas. I wish you best of luck. You may want to get the kids involved in the kitchen also helping prepare healthy foods. Maybe if each has a job it would be easier to manage. Take Care. And remember you are not alone!
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    I only have 2 kids, but I do watch my niece and nephew some weeks when my brother goes out of town for work. So then I am caring for a 5 yr old, 3 yr old, 18 month old, and 14 month old. I take them for walks outside. I do get on my treadmill and do exercise DVDs (I do them on my computer while they watch movie on TV). As far as meals I either make stuff the night before or I make mine while the kids eat and then try to eat mine while they have dessert.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I say, you have to stop telling yourself that it's hard to eat healthy.. If you think it's hard, than it will be hard. Kids enjoy being in the kitchen.. And it's important for them to learn about food. Get creative with it.. or cut up and prepare your veggies the night before.
  • vdub88
    vdub88 Posts: 79
    Options
    My kids love to excercise with me. I think I have a future jillian Micheals on my hands with my 4 year old. She will tell me ok mommy rest for a mintue then we are doing 25 more - I will count. I love her for it and she keeps me motivated.
  • KaeBry
    KaeBry Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I'd love to have the kids in the kitchen with me, but unfortunately I have a very small kitchen so that is out. I do get outside most days and we play tag and run around acting crazy so there's a bit of exercise. Cutting up veggies in the evening is a pretty good idea, I'll definitely start doing that. Things will definitely get easier during the school year since 2 of the 5 will be gone from 8 until 1:30.

I guess I'll have to hang tough until then!