You get extra calories by working out??

Options
cpalumbo89
cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
Ok I'm kinda confused about the calories you're expected to eat, and the calories you get when you work out. A I suppose to eat the extra calories if I work out? If I don't am I under my calorie limit? Why would myfitnesspal give us extra calories to eat?

Replies

• AylaishlyBecca
    Options
    I suppose if people wish to eat their exercise calories they can...maybe if theyre trying to STAY at a certain weight... Personally I dont eat them.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I eat most of mine back, and I'm consistently losing!
  • cpalumbo89
    Options
    Right, bc I burn those calories and I need to be at 1200, so if I burn 200 I'd be at 1000? Soo I need to eat them? But another problem, I work out at night, like an hour after dinner. D I still eat after?
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 lbs eating 1300 cals plus at least some of my exercise calories every day.

What myfitnesspal does is take your base level of activity (the amount that you do before you do any overt exercise) and figure out your average calories burned every day based on that activity, your weight, your gender and your height.

So, when you tell MFP that you'd like to lose 1 pound per week, it takes that average burn and subtracts 500 calories from it to give you a daily calorie goal. That's your NET calorie goal, as the deficit is "baked in" to that number.

Eat at that goal, and you should expect to lose weight.

When you add in exercise, you've now created an even bigger deficit. You can eat your exercise calories and expect to maintain the same rate of weight loss as you do eating less on your non-workout days.

I eat some of my exercise calories, but not all, just because I like to follow my hunger cues when it comes to eating over my MFP goal.

In theory, though, you can eat every one of those delicious calories and still lose weight. Fun, eh? :smile:.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    You need to net 1200. If you burn 200, you eat 1400 total (1400-200=1200). You should not net less than 1200. Depending on your activity level outside of exercise you may even need more calories to keep yourself from plateauing. Google TDEE calculator and get more information. The websites explain it a lot better than I do and will help you calculate what you really need. I've used this method and have steadily lost 1 pound or more a week.
  • JWat2020
    JWat2020 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I suppose if people wish to eat their exercise calories they can...maybe if theyre trying to STAY at a certain weight... Personally I dont eat them.

This is absolutely incorrect. MFP sets up your calorie goal in mind without exercise. It also can only be set up to lose a maximum of 2 pounds a week (a healthy weight loss).

When you burn extra calories by working out, it is above and beyond what you would need to burn for the 2 pounds a week. If you ate ALL of the exercise calories back you would still be on target for a 2 pound weight loss.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Deficit is already built in, so eat those calories, but I suggest using a heart rate monitor when working out, as often mfp estimates are way off. Either that, or aim to eat back 1/2 to 2/3 exercise calories to be on the safe side. I have always lose when in a deficit and eating back exercise calories, as have most others I have come across.
  • JWat2020
    JWat2020 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Right, bc I burn those calories and I need to be at 1200, so if I burn 200 I'd be at 1000? Soo I need to eat them? But another problem, I work out at night, like an hour after dinner. D I still eat after?

This is where it gets dicey. If you aren't a snacker or a desert eater you will have to eat more for dinner (or add a sauce or cheese) and assume you will work it off.
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    + to what JWat2020 just said.

As for why MFP gives you "extra" calories to eat when you work out: The idea is that eating too few calories will slow your weight loss. Why? Because below a certain calorie level, your body will think it is starving, and will reduce your metabolism to hang on to the calories you do eat.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I try to eat back most of my exercise calories.
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, what you earn and then eat by exercising doesn't affect your weight loss goals because your calorie allowance is based on your lifestyle without exercise. I kind of game the system. I have set my lifestyle at sedentary, even though I am not. I also put my meals in before I make or eat them so I can see the calorie deficit/excess and plan around that. If I am over my net calories, I know I have to do x amount of exercise (must spend half an hour on the stationary bike if I want to eat that steak!), or I have to adjust my meal to stay within the limits. I find it helps me to eat with confidence and understand where I need to change things before I put anything in my mouth.
  • cpalumbo89
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you.

Personally I eat 400 calories per day MORE than what MFP has me set on plus I eat my exercise calories (usually between 300 - 800 each day). It works for me.

MFP is a fabulous tool but people sometimes forget that it's just that, a TOOL, it's not a direct message from God set in stone and telling you what to do. You need to take it and make it work for you.

Good luck.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

This is where it gets dicey. If you aren't a snacker or a desert eater you will have to eat more for dinner (or add a sauce or cheese) and assume you will work it off.

You can eat those calories the next day or couple of days if you want - there's no magic time limit. Lots of us think of the avg. Cals per day over a week instead of just Cals per day. It gives you more flexibility so if you don't feel like eating up to your goal one day, no biggie, eat a little extra over the next day or several days. Or, if you eat over one day, again, no biggie, just eat a little less over the next day or couple of days.

But, it's up to you - lots of people like the stricter rules of hitting goal every day. Go with what works best for you.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    You can eat those calories the next day or couple of days if you want - there's no magic time limit. Lots of us think of the avg. Cals per day over a week instead of just Cals per day. It gives you more flexibility so if you don't feel like eating up to your goal one day, no biggie, eat a little extra over the next day or several days. Or, if you eat over one day, again, no biggie, just eat a little less over the next day or couple of days.

But, it's up to you - lots of people like the stricter rules of hitting goal every day. Go with what works best for you.

This is a very good point. I do this sometimes too. I don't sweat it if I go over.
  • jojobanana81
    Options
    I'm so glad someone explained the eating your exercise calories. I was confused as well. I'm so glad I can eat those extra calories!:smile:
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I set my base at 1200 calories and then I eat back all of my exercise calories. So the more I burn, the more I can eat. That helps me self-adjust according to how active I am that particular day.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

No. Look into how MFP actually works.