IBS Sufferers?

Any IBS sufferers around here? What are you doing to help with your journey and any recommendations to help with tummy distress?

I just purchased Heather's Tummy tea, peppermint oil and acacia senegal. Want to see how this works!

Replies

• tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    If you find out let me know... I ate turkey which I normally have brown rice and corn yesterday and I think maybe it's the rice... today I'm good but haven't had dinner yet.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I don't eat any white flour, stay away from fried foods, sugar is dangerous and makes me bloat, some veggies do the same so I eat them only when I'm home. I also make sure I exercise a lot so that I am able to work my tummy so when it is bloated (like crazy!) it goes down. I find that foods that are full of 'garbage' will hurt you. I also have a sensitivity to milk so I don't drink it, I stick to almond milk to be safe.

I've had it for about 10 years now and it's all about figuring out what foods you're sensitive to.

OH and alcohol... it kills you, but in moderation will be ok. I find that red wine helps me digest. White is ok too and doesn't bloat me very much, just a bit :) Beer is KILLER!
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Look up the Fodmap diet....I'm doing it right now under the advice of my gastro.....it seems to be helping.
  • hdkerr
    hdkerr Posts: 145 Member
    Read Cure Constipation Now by Dr. Wes Jones. Even if you are IBS-D you are constipated. It is really helping me. You can even email the doctor directly if you are having problems with his program.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    I have horrific IBS. My only solution is to avoid all trigger foods. Which basically means a steady diet of lean protein, rice, tubers, eggs and (certain) veggies. I miss a lot of foods I used to enjoy, but it's worth it not to be suffering all the time.
  • RobynLB83
    If you find out let me know... I ate turkey which I normally have brown rice and corn yesterday and I think maybe it's the rice... today I'm good but haven't had dinner yet.

I became really sensitive to corn out of the blue one day. It's more likely the corn than the rice (unless the rice was undercooked).
  • RobynLB83
    Ginger tea and peppermint tea are good too. Oh, and put the time and research in to do an elimination diet to figure out what foods trigger your symptoms. This was the only way I could have figured mine out (because I have so many). I literally got to the point that I was just afraid to eat anything because I knew I would be in pain afterwards. Now, I have no symptoms at all. AT ALL! Unless I accidentally eat something I shouldn't. Watch out for soups and dressings and things like that.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Thanks everyone. I think alcohol is a trigger. I didn't drink for 2 months and I was fine. Started drinking again the past couple weeks, mostly beer, and I've been miserable for a week. One trigger down! That's a start
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    I found out I had IBS two months ago. I didn't always have problems with it, but my life got mega stressful and it seemed to aggravate my digestive system. I would spend afternoons in the bathroom at work, wishing I could ralph or pass out or SOMETHING, because I was in so much pain in my chest and stomach. I had tests done and was diagnosed by process of elimination.

I'm trying a low FODMAP diet now, though I don't get episodes too often. The very best thing I've done is eat smaller meals throughout the day, which I liked to do anyway, but felt like an "odd bird" when I did it.

This, in turn, helped me lose more weight because I'd gotten rid of the notion of eating a huge dinner, which had always been sabotaging my calorie counting.

Cutting beer out may have helped you because it's wheat? Did you look into cutting gluten?
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    You have had some good suggestions so far so I won't repeat them. You will find your trigger foods (like beer), unfortunately and will learn to steer clear! :noway:

One thing that helps my IBS and ulcerative colon issues is peppermint oil capsules. I have had so many less flare ups since I started taking them and would recommend them to anyone!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    I don't have IBS, but when I'm trying to gain weight, I get all the symptoms of it....on account of the large amount of food I have to force down. So during those times it's fennel tea with every meal.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    I had IBS symptoms for years and it turned out to be celiac disease. What was funny was about 6 months after cutting out gluten, I found a list I had made about 2 years previous of all the foods I seemed to be sensitive to and it was all glutens and grains! This would have been a clue to a normal, observant person, not so much to me. LOL
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    i dont have ibs however .. check out this drink Kefir super probiotic seems good for

http://www.orhaolam.com/uploads/KefirInShort.pdf