1200 Calorie Question

Options
nmha
nmha Posts: 33 Member
Hi All,
I typically end up eating between 1300-1400 calories but am currently doing the 30 shred and exercising approx. 200 calories off. This means that my calories are between 1100-1200 per day after exercise. I'm 5'3 and 186 lbs looking to get down to 130. I am actually feeling pretty good with how much I'm eating and I'm drinking a ton. Does this sound like a healthy plan? I'm not going to lie..I definitely want to try to lose as quickly as I can..but I don't want to hurt myself. Basically- if I feel good is this caloric amount ok for my size?

Thanks!

Replies

• nmha
    Options
    bump..I have no patience :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You need to eat your exercise calories so that you NET the calorie goal you have set. So, if MFP says eat 1400 then you exercise 200, you need to eat 1600 that day.
  • Dori_Gaga
    Dori_Gaga Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating over 1200 you will be fine. You have a fairly substantial weight to lose, so it's ok to have a bigger deficit... when you get closer to your goal weight you will want to re-evaluate and you might need to start eating more then to see the weight continue to come off, but at this point, when you are trying to lose over 50 lbs, you have lots of fat stores available to burn off, so if you are eating your target calories, and aren't letting yourself go hungry, then you are fine.

Remember that the 30DS is interval training, and you will continue to burn calories long after you have completed the work out, so if you find yourself hungry after, eat the calories back. Try to opt for more protein so you can build up your muscles faster.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    No matter what, make sure you net 1200 calories! I dont necessarily eat back what I've burnt but I typically watch what I eat, and making sure I hit my macros everyday. If you eat less, you will only gain as your body will go into starvation mode. You need to add energy to your body. So don't skip out on food, but make sure its good quality food!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    perfect!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    No matter what, make sure you net 1200 calories! I dont necessarily eat back what I've burnt but I typically watch what I eat, and making sure I hit my macros everyday. If you eat less, you will only gain as your body will go into starvation mode. You need to add energy to your body. So don't skip out on food, but make sure its good quality food!

this is just dead wrong...

you can't eat 1200 calories a day be in starvation mode...you have to eat nothing for 72 hours to be in starvation mode..

OP - if you are feeling good on 1200 and are steadily losing then stick with it..if you start to plateau then bump up your cals by 100 a day ...
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You are going to get so many answers to this from people who truly have faith in what they're saying.

Long story short (minus debating):

Do what works for YOUR body. If you are feeling great like this, then that's wonderful, but eventually you may stop losing at all, in which case I would suggest slowly (and I mean 100 extra calories per week) raising your caloric weight until it picks up again.

ONLY YOUR DOCTOR can really and truly tell you if what you're doing is healthy for you. This required money and time, but it is worth it to get an opinion. Sometimes a nutritionist can also give you good insight, but they won't necessarily be able to tailor diet plans to your personal medical needs. Neither of these people are promised to know 100% the right answer, but generally this is about the way it works.

When you are heavier (which I would say that you aren't THAT heavy, even though you are in a heavier BMI range) it would be easier to sustain a 1200 calorie amount for a little longer because there is so much fat (I know this from experience).

And LASTLY there is a big difference between 1200 cals of processed low calorie foods and fresh low calorie foods. Obviously you can eat a lot more food for few calories when eating healthier.. which helps to contribute to the satisfied feeling.

I always think to myself "If I want to look like a healthy (insert age here) female, I need to do what they do and eat what they eat" (emphasis on HEALTH) lol

Good luck!
  • nmha
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the help all!
  • kevin24martin
    Options
    its hard being this fit though. It took me a lot of work.
  • Dori_Gaga
    Options

you can't eat 1200 calories a day be in starvation mode...you have to eat nothing for 72 hours to be in starvation mode..

OP - if you are feeling good on 1200 and are steadily losing then stick with it..if you start to plateau then bump up your cals by 100 a day ...

Very few people on here even seem to know what starvation mode means... eating under 1200 cannot make you gain weight. Your body cannot create fat from nothing, it needs calories, and it can't create it's own calories either. If you ate 300 calories a day you would lose weight, even in starvation mode, but you would screw up your metabolism and end up gaining more weight in the long run, after you start eating again... hence why people go on crash diets, lose some weight, then go back to their old eating habits and end up gaining more than they lost in the first place.

And you can net under 1200 calories when you have more fat. Fat is stored as a back up energy source. If you have lots of fat to lose, you will be fine netting under 1200 calories.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options

thank you! I am so SICK of people talking about starvation mode????????what the F anyway it annoys me and I thank you for clearing that up!
  • carmelvalleyite
    Options
    I am supposed to eat 1200 calories but when I do, I maintain the weight. When I cut back to about 1000 calories, all healthy
    foods, I lose. I was not overweight when I began but wanted to trim up and shed some of the fat in my midsection. It worked
    great and I've lose eight pounds and at least 1-2 pant sizes. Since I'm at my goal weight, I now eat anywhere from 1000 to
    1400 calories a day and that's working for me. You don't have to be hungry at 1000 calories if you chose the right foods
    and drinks. I drink almond milk that has a lot more calcium than regular milk and less than 50 calories a glass. I also work
    out with weights and on the treadmill 3 times a week. Good luck to you.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what I do, eat around 1,400 & exercise about 300 so net around 1,100. I eat well & not usually hungry & have a little less than 40lbs to lose on my 5'2" self.
  • belatedly
    belatedly Posts: 11
    Options
    Wait, is it bad to net below 1200 if you are not trying to lose a lot of weight?
    Why?
    I am netting just under 1000 for the day... I ate a lot, and did some light exercise.
    This is the first time I am counting calories but I ate pretty much what I think I would eat in a normal day and I am in good health.

Sorry, I thought I was good today until I read this thread and now I'm confused.
  • Dori_Gaga
    Options
    Wait, is it bad to net below 1200 if you are not trying to lose a lot of weight?
    Why?
    I am netting just under 1000 for the day... I ate a lot, and did some light exercise.
    This is the first time I am counting calories but I ate pretty much what I think I would eat in a normal day and I am in good health.

Sorry, I thought I was good today until I read this thread and now I'm confused.

If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, you should aim for a deficit of no more than 500 calories a day. When you are close to your ideal weight, your body is going to fight back because it's programmed to store fat.

1200 is not a magic number, you need to find your BMR and TDEE (A google search will bring up several easy to use calculators). BMR is the amount of calories you burn merely by existing, if you never moved. You don't want to eat below that number, because you need that amount of calories. TDEE is the amount of calories you burn on an average day. Now what you want to do is take your TDEE and subtract 500 calories, to create a deficit. Don't aim for any higher than 500 by eating alone. If you want to create a bigger deficit, that's where exercise comes into play. But keep in mind that your body is going to want to store fat, so at least try to net your BMR most of the time. Having only a little weight to lose means your body wants to avoid burning fat, so you want to do it slowly at that point. This is where people get confused and think eating too little will make you gain weight. That's not true, but eating too little will make you lose weight slower.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Most people have a BMR of more than 1200 calories. This is the amount of calories they would feed you if you were in a coma. Does it make any sense to eat less than what your body needs just to keep it alive? This will suppress your metabolism so that you will have to keep eating less and less to lose any weight. A lot of people do this out of ignorance, but why would you do that if you knew you could lose weight and not mess up your body and eat more? Anybody who says "if I eat more than 1200 calories I gain weight" has messed up their metabolism. It can be fixed but it takes time and patience. 1200 calories is the standard set by experts that has enough so that you can get all the nutrients your body needs in vitamins and minerals.

But, go ahead and keep eating less than children should thinking that it's great and healthy. Some day when you are old and your bones are breaking because they didn't get the requirements they needed to preserve them when you were younger you might be sorry.