Running Tips

Options
Is anyone else running or training for any type of race? Im training for a 5k that Im on schedule to run at the end of July. Anbody have any tips or encouraging words? Feel free to add me so we can encourage each other :)

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Slow down! It sounds like you might be doing some kind of C25K type interval training program. Don't feel like you need to run as fast as you possibly can right away. C25K focuses on endurance - once you can run, at any speed, for 30 minutes at a stretch, *then* you can work on running faster. This advice might sound silly, but seriously: run as slowly as you can manage while still running (as opposed to walking). Trying to run too fast, or too far, too soon is one of the easiest ways to get discouraged.

Assuming the race in July is your first, the only important goal for your upcoming race is to finish. If you finish, you've won, nevermind how long it took you or how many people crossed the finish line before you did.

More practically, have you invested in a good sports bra? Running with the girls not fully supported is uncomfortable at best and hinders your training at worst, because clasping your arms against your chest to keep your boobs from bouncing all over the place makes it harder to run properly. "Good" means with clasps like a real bra and sized like a real bra. If you haven't measured yourself in a while, do so; don't add anything to your underbust measurement, bras aren't made like that anymore. Just round down to the nearest even number. Then splurge on a good sports bra. I have an UnderArmour Armour Bra that I love, but if your breasts measure larger than DD cups, you'll need to look at brands that specialize in large cup sizes. There's probably a thread about that somewhere around here, otherwise Google something like "sports bras for large bust."
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm running my first 5k on June 8th. I completed the C25K inside on a treadmill and then moved to the road three weeks ago. I started running 3 days a week at the park (there is a .6 mile path) and really have not run a complete 5k without stopping yet. I have since moved to running through my neighborhood and then use Map My Run to see how far I've gone. I've done 3.44 and 2.77 twice. Still can't convince myself to run continuously so I've been doing a little bit of walking. I think I'll be fine by June 8th. I have 2 more weeks and next week I plan to up my runs to 4-5 times a week.

You win just by signing up and participating. I'll add you if you like. I'm always happy to talk to someone else and maybe get different training techniques.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Don't start in the front....that's all I've got.:smile:
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new to running to but my #1 tip is take it slow and #2 tip make sure you have proper shoes! I started running earlier this year, hurt my feet because of running in old trainers with no support. Then I got good trainers from a running shop, got excited about how great they felt, ran too far too fast and hurt myself again. Now just starting for the third time, only increasing by 5% distance each time, ready for 6k next month :)
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner as well. Injured my knee in high school, orthopedist said to do as little on it as possible, 'cause it will never heal. Orthopedist died. New orthopedist says knee will never heal, but consider running to strengthen connective tissue and supporting muscle so it doesn't deteriorate further. I like the new ortho better!

So, after 25 years of no running, I started this mid-january. Ran my first 5K in april, and am currently training for a 1/2 marathon in late October. Thus, not an expert by any means, but I'll second the recommendation to get good shoes. Go to a running store that will analyze your gait and fit you properly for shoes. They'll have you run in the parking lot, store, or treadmill, see how your body moves, then cycle through several pairs and sizes to get the right shoe. I expected there to be a noticeable difference when I did that, but was not prepared at all for how much less pain and suffering there was with the right shoe. It's worth the time and money!

Beyond that, don't worry about speed, as others have said. Build up your distance and endurance by running slowly. I'm just now getting to the point where I'd like to be faster, but not at the place in my training plan yet where I actually do anything about that desire, so I basically have 3 speeds: very slow, mosey, and stopped. And, frankly, I'm fine with that. I recently got a gps/heart rate monitor (amongst a pile of other nifty functions, many of them bike-based) watch, which I would not say is in any way necessary, but the HRM is helpful for making sure you don't go too fast too early in longer runs once you increase your distance.
  • shlittle23
    shlittle23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    haha! thank you very much! thats the best and funniest advice :)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Don't start in the front....that's all I've got.:smile:

^
    YES, THIS!!!

Also, be sure to have a friend or family member take a picture. And save your race bib. And if there's a pro photographer on the course, smile!
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'll begin training in a few months for a half in October.

As for advice, not sure I can add anything else. But, if you're new to running, definitely start slow. If there's any way you can be running slow, you're still running to quickly. :laugh:

Oh, and have fun!!! :drinker:
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm using 5K Runner app on my iPhone as C25K training program. Today I did 25 minutes non-stop, the last three runs after this would be 28, 30, then 35 minutes. I was going to do the Sunburst at the beginning of June, but I screwed up my knee and had to take four weeks break from training. Next up is the color run in October, and by that time I should be able to do it under 30 minutes.