New to the MFP...wish I had a workout buddy...

Options
I've always been a lil "chubby" and have finally decided at 33 years old I want to have a body that I am proud of! I am 5'10" and currently 168 lbs with a goal of 135 lbs. I've been getting back into the paces of the gym, almost 4 weeks now and have not really seen any changes with just cardio 5 days a week in 30-60 min sessions.

My husband keeps telling me to start hitting the weights, he's a gym buff who's extremely buff and fits right in. I on the other hand have a HUGE amount of anxiety just thinking about the weight area...all these guys who are ripped...I'm not kidding either, we are military so it tends to draw in the "meat eaters" as my husband refers to them. The crowd makes me feel inferior, and it's always busy at all the various gyms on post. I guess I'm looking for pointers as how to overcome some of this angst I have.

Thanks. :embarassed:

Replies

• honeybear8162002
    Options
    I think you should try to ignore the people around you. Have you tried listening to an iPod so you can tune them out? Maybe go when the gym isn't so busy. I don't know what it's like to be on a military base, just speaking from when I belonged to a gym. I hope that you can over come your anxiety about it. Best of luck!
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    welcome!
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi. Go lift. You shouldn't let anything stop you. Especially others. 2 likely scenarios I see, A) they will check you out and want to help you. B) they will be focused on what they are doing. Just get in there an go. I'm sure its tough, but standing on the outside afraid of what others might do, or think, is an excuse. Remember, they most likely didn't start buff.

Giver!
  • medicvaldez
    medicvaldez Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm fat..have my music...have my water...have my supplements...meatheads beware...I'm gonna kill the weights!!! You can do it girl, once you get the feel of it you'll love it!!! Add me and I can give you a few starter workouts that i do. I'd be more than happy to share :)
  • Fattygasted
    Fattygasted Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    girl you are skinny in my book. I weigh more than you and am only 5'6" (5'7" on a good day:)). Wish you luck on your journey. I am always looking for positive people to join me as workout buddies. I usually run about 4-5 days a week and I lift weights and do other cardio as well. Add me if you like. You definitely can get to your goal.
  • hunniebadger
    hunniebadger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love the confidence medic! If only I could take and apply it lol. :wink:
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You could think about working out at home. There are tons of DVDs or online videos, and you could do a lot with a small set of dumbbells, resistance bands, or just using your own body weight (squats, lunges, pushups, etc.). Beyond the anxiety of thinking people are looking at me, I know just getting in the car and going to the gym would be an obstacle. At home, I just say to myself "Just do 10-15 minutes of weights" and once I get started I usually end up doing an hour ...
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Wear yoga pants so they're too dumbfounded to do anything but stare at your assets.

I hired a trainer to get me set up with the free weights. The guys stare, but it's typically when I'm bent over, or I have huge weights that I'm lifting (with the legs... not quite at triple digits with my arms yet).

And I still have plenty of jiggle, so I'm not some buff gym goddess.

You can come sit by me. Is it okay if I bite? :flowerforyou:
  • hunniebadger
    hunniebadger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants....check
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Get your husband to show you around and give you some pointers
  • mizzoudays
    mizzoudays Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check and see if your gym offers Les Mills Body Pump, or another similar class (Maybe a circuit class if they don't have BodyPump). You can check it out on Youtube. These class work the major muscle groups the right way (great if you are new to lifting) and burn a ton of calories. I never did a bunch of free weights because I didn't know what i was doing or just got bored wondering around. A class atmosphere forces you to do the work.

Oh, I forgot....wear yoga pants.