How to build long lean muscles in arms

MissAmandax
MissAmandax Posts: 18
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I just have a general question. I feel like I'm definitely building a lot of muscle in my arms. When I see myself in a lot of pictures though, they just seem big and bulky - not really defined. They almost just look fat if you get what I'm saying.

I guess what I'm wondering is - is it better to use light weights to get really lean muscular arms? Or heavey ones? I started with 3, then moved to 5, and now 10. I'm wondering if I should scale back on the weight, because I'd prefer less muscular arms all together if that meant they looked thinner.

Let me know your thoughts everyone!!! Thanks so much :)

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    My trainer told me lighter weights but more reps.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Women typically won't gain a lot of bulk, but if you're really concerned, then I would say stay with the 10# weights, don't go any higher than that and increase your reps instead.
    You will probably find taht as you gain muscle you may look bulkier at first, but once your body burns fat off, your arms will slim down in appearance and gain a more svelt look. Hope this helps!
  • bloblynda
    bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
    Light weights and more reps will tone. Big weights just give you big muscles
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    I second what everyone else said. Also, swimming - swimming is the best exercise you can do to build long muscle versus bulky.
  • Agree with, less weight more reps. That's what I do with most of my weight lifting now. It does build muscle and keeps you tone. Like your new photo, your arms look good to me. Enjoy your day.
  • Pilates, yoga and dance (like ballet or contemporary) give really long lean muscles, without building bulk :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    It is very hard to bulk up without all the testosterone in your system, such as a man has. For some reason women are afraid to lift heavier weights. I would go as heavy as you can to complete a maximum of 12 reps (12 reps are high enough), make sure you go heavy enough that the last couple of reps are difficult to complete, if not don't push yourself you won't be getting/seeing results.

Lifting heavier will not make you bulky unless you are taking performance enhancing drugs or are in a major caloric surplus. Good luck.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Light weights and more reps will tone. Big weights just give you big muscles

Not true, you also need a caloric surplus and testosterone to build big muscles.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    It may be that it looks bulky because you still have weight to lose. Underneath that thin layer of fat, they might be really defined! I don't think I'd worry about it until I was really close to goal weight.
  • Okay thanks so much everyone for your advice!! I appreciate it :)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    It is very hard to bulk up without all the testosterone in your system, such as a man has. For some reason women are afraid to lift heavier weights. I would go as heavy as you can to complete a maximum of 12 reps (12 reps are high enough), make sure you go heavy enough that the last couple of reps are difficult to complete, if not don't push yourself you won't be getting/seeing results.

Lifting heavier will not make you bulky unless you are taking performance enhancing drugs or are in a major caloric surplus. Good luck.

I second this. Absolutely true.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    what I tell the women I train is this, turn things around after you are warmed up start lifting heavy weight and lower reps then move to lighter weight and higher reps,in one workout it's a matter of training your fast twitch and slow twitch muscles.

Women produce testosterone it's much less then men but still produce.

when I'm cutting I take my reps as high as 20 to 25 reps
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    I've always had relatively big arms (muscular big looking) and recently I have lost a little diameter off them. They definitely are stronger but losing that "fat muscley" look.

Just me personally, I think the best way to get toned is non-stop intense weight sessions that therefore by their nature cannot employ heavy weights. In other words keep breaks between sets short (say 20 seconds just to let that initial thump subside), then straight into the next set. And employ techniques that make the burn almost non-stop.

Regarding arms, an interesting example for biceps that I was doing for several weeks goes like...

Starting with dumbells in normal starting position for dumbell curls, raise your left dumbell to halfway up and hold it there while you do 5 reps with your right arm. On completion of that fifth rep lift that right arm to mid point and hold THAT arm at halfway position while you do 5 reps with left arm. Repeat all that. (so it is 5 reps with right arm while left is in isometric hold halfway up, 5 reps with left while right is in isometric hold, 5 reps right with left in isometric hold, 5 reps left with right in isometric hold).. then 10 full reps using alternating arms to finish off. (God that sounds confusing, hope it makes sense)

That's just one of heaps of variatons, but those more complex techniques tend to really keep the intensity on throughout a set.. as you start particularly into that second lot of 5 each arm you will definitely be burning big time and it won't let up.

So that's one set, and say you were doing 2 or 3 you could alternate them with tricep sets.... but whatever, keep breaks minimal. Ideally only about 20 seconds. That totally completely and utterly alters the workout, If I rested for say way over a minute, I could probably stay in the gym all day doing it with little additional benefit. Short breaks make a relatively short workout, say 45 mins max. really intense.

Just me, everyone finds what works for them and there are a million theories and techniques, but I have lost some diameter from my arms doing this kind of thing and they're becoming very solid muscle. The fundamental thing I'm saying is, non-stop intensity. Longer rests are fine for guys trying to gain muscle size by doing short heavy sets, but wrong for what you want to do.
  • Thank you :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    People keep saying women don't build big muscles, but some of us do! I do. My arms bulk up really fast and look either fat or mannish when I do weights, especially as I have narrow shoulders and back, so they look even bigger in comparison. I have yet to find a happy compromise of toned but lean.
  • chickenpye1
    chickenpye1 Posts: 1 Member
    Eric and Knitty got it in one :happy: ... go heavy! keep between 12-15 reps but make sure the last 3 are a struggle.

Maybe up your cardio .. add some interval sprints.. keep a close eye on your diet.. i bet theres a beautiful pair of defined arms.. jus possibly hiding under a little fat.

Good luck x
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Most of the advice in this thread is wrong. Lift heavy, eat at a moderate deficit. Lose the body fat and your arms will no longer look fat.

Women lack the ability to add bulky muscles without taking steroids. In order to build bulky muscle you need 1) testosterone 2) a caloric surplus.
  • Thread starter deactivated account: kill thread
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Not true, you also need a caloric surplus and testosterone to build big muscles.
    ^ This.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    User deactivated....post failed.....
This discussion has been closed.