Best investment?

Options
I am new to MFP. I am checking the website out and love all of the information available. I am wondering what I may need to purchase to make my journey more successful. I am currently in college so my funds are limited. If you had to narrow it down to 1 or 2 things, what would you say was the best investment you made to help aid your new healthy lifestyle?

Thanks for any advice you give!

Replies

• Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    a GOOD pair of running shoes for walking and/or running =)
  • jamesantonyarnold
    jamesantonyarnold Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Stretch bands added a whole new dimension to my core workout, very cheap too.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There's some pretty cheap food scales out there.

I feel like most thing have easy substitute, for example weights. Everything has a weight so you don't need to buy a weighted item.
  • Flyer69
    Flyer69 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Any physical activity you enjoy and keep doing assessories, although I am big on Football (soccer) I can't do this everyday.
    I finally learned that gym is for me as I keep at it, everything else I gave up on.
    So in that case a gym membership
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    For me a good pair of sports shoes - not only can you walk / run but also join in pick up games of basketball, volleyball, soccer etc (and there are probably plenty around your college).

You might also want to consider a job walking dogs, delivering advertising etc and as means to raise a little bit of money while getting exercise
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Best investment? Research and understanding.. Cost? Free
  • piscesy2k
    piscesy2k Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For me, runners and digital food scales :)
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A subscription to google.

Oh wait it's (still) free :)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If you're in school, maybe your school has a gym that you can use for free or at a discount?
  • vicky7917
    vicky7917 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm of the same view as a few others ... invest a good pair of trainers that work for your tread.
  • jellyfish1976
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your input!
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    An HRM (heart rate monitor) so you can accurately log calories burned :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    do you prepare your own meals? then a food scale and measuring cups.
  • WaimanaloMan
    WaimanaloMan Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor and a kitchen scale!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The best things I have bought...

Digital kitchen scale--this helps you accurately track calories because you know what your portions actually are, versus just estimating, makes tracking food much easier. Mine was about $70, but I know you can get some that work great that cost around $35

HRM Watch--Calories burned on MPF are only an estimation, you were on an elliptical for 30 minutes, it may say you burned 300 calories, but since it isn't taking into account how hard you are actually working, it may not be accurate to what you burned, you could be at 150 or 400, who knows. I bought a Polar FT7 HR watch. It has a chest strap and the watch, you put it on for each workout and it gives you a more concise measure of calories burned because it accounts for your height, weight, age, gender, etc also. Bought mine on Amazon for $65

Good Shoes--if you are a runner or plan to be, get fitted for a pair of shoes (I go to Fleet Feet, a store in my area that will actually look at your gait, foot, how you land, etc.) this will help you get the best pair of shoes for you. Also, at the local stores here, they will work on you price range too. My shoes cost about $100, but it was the first time in 10 years that I didn't' get shin splints while running...totally worth it to me.

If you are on a budget I would say get the scale first, then pay yourself $1 for every workout or day under your calorie goal and use that money to buy yourself the other items you want.

Good luck!!
  • jellyfish1976
    Options
    I do have a good digital scale so it looks like I will be researching some new shoes and a heart rate monitor.

I do like the idea about saving $1 every workout...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    A goal book and journal. And a TRX suspension system.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition