Loose Skin Worries.

Options
Hi there. I was just wondering if anyone out there has lost 60 - 70 lbs and did they have any loose skin problems?

Replies

• Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I heard that you only get loose skin if you lose the weight drastically :smile:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 since I gave birth, have 20 to go and no loose skin problems. Good luck!
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi i would say to lose 60 - 70 pounds if exercising u should be fine, I've lost 110 pounds slowly with plently exercise and have loads of excess skin!!!! - i was a very big girl and still have more to lose. Some people swear by firming creams too but there was too much damage done for me. Good luck xx
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I've heard the same. Additionally, I have heard to make sure to keep hydrated while losing weight which will help the skin keep some elasticity (spelling?) as you are losing. Good luck!!
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you're losing it slowly, well hydrated and doing some form of exercise then you shouldn't have issues x
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on your genetics but the alternative is to stay fat so you'll be sure not to have any loose skin and that doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    you look pretty young in your profie pic :wink: so you should be fine as long as you keep hydrated. Also moisturise your skin and use a moisturising bath/shower product.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It mostly depends on your age and genetics really. If you are young you stand a better chance of having your skin snap back than a post menopausal female for example. Slowly is the best way but the general consensus is that is can take 6 months to 2 years for skin to catch up with weight loss.

I have some loose skin (I am 47) but it is nowhere near as bad as it was a few months ago. I don't know how much better it will get (if it does) - time will tell.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    There have been users on MFP who undergo such a tremendous weight loss that they get tummy tucks in order to deal with the loose skin. I don't think anyone would begrudge it of you if you needed it.
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm down over 70lbs in something like 10 months and did it with a combination of exercise and dieting - staying really well hydrated. I've got a little loose skin, but really only in one area and it's not that bad. I think it'll firm up too.
  • yinkyo
    yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I swear by vitamin e oil for helping firm up and help keep the skin elastic, I found a bottle of the stuff so I don't have to worry about breaking open a capsule every time. I throw a bit in with some cocoa butter lotion and rub it into my stomach, and it has drastically reduced the look of my stretch marks. Hopefully it will also help to keep my skin from being really loose also, but I have yet to see.

Also definitely work a core workout into your program, to keep the muscles underneath tight, which will help the look of loose skin or fat.

Water definitely helps also, along with vitamins. Also, giving your skin time to catch up and shrink if it is loose.

But of course, like someone else mentioned, it also depends on your genetics, and age, and many other factors like that. What works for some people will not work for others, so basically, you'll have to see, and just try to combat it as best as possible.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago I lost about 40 lbs and had loose skin around my stomach. I weighed 140lbs, was a size 4, but could grab a handful of stomach skin. I heard that from dieting so much, going up and down many times, really impacts the elasticity of your skin. Mine did not shrink up over time. I became so discouraged by my loose skin that after a back injury I didn't try to manage my weight and that's why I'm back. I expect loose skin around my stomach again.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I was just wondering if anyone out there has lost 60 - 70 lbs and did they have any loose skin problems?

I've seen many posts about it. How much you get is hard to predict. Don't lose too quickly, eat enough fat, drink enough water, use a good moisturizer and be patient is your best bet.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

No, it only seems that way because your skin adheres back slowly. The most important factor in this is AGE. Pinch a new born baby's bottom and watch it snap right back into place. Pinch a 70 year old man's skin and watch it sag. We know that skin elasticity can take as long as 2 years to adhere back to a mom who just gave birth but it depends greatly on age. The op is still in her 20s so she has a good chance of all her skin shrinking back down. After 30, your skin loses elasticity each year but I forgot by how much.

I believe that HGH proteins play a huge role in increasing skin elasticity but that's just my bioscience. HGH proteins can be be naturally increased by exercising, sleeping, and fasting. Insulin spikes will inhibit HGH proteins.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Not true, although I'm sure that losing at a slower pace helps. The fact is that however fast you lose it, if the skin has been stretched a long way, it still has the challenge of shrinking (for want of a better word) back. With 60-70 lbs, you (OP) may well get away with no loose skin. Or you may not. Genetics plays a large part I believe, but the fact that you are still very young works in your favour.

I'm about 10 years older than you, have lost 85 lbs, and have some loose skin, especially on my lower abdomen and upper arms. It's really not that bad though, and way, way better than being overweight. I'm hoping it will improve a bit over time.
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 140 pounds and it was done over time. I have loose skin and I was "warned" about it by my trainer when I first started working with her. I didn't really start to notice it until I got really thin, but it is WAY better than they alternative. Good luck on your journey! :)
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I lost about 100 lbs in my late 40's and had lots of loose skin. After 6 months I had plastic surgery to remove it because it was causing a rash on my belly and interfering with exercise. I now suffer from lymphedema and other issues and have constant pain.