Cramp

Options
I'm new to exercising, have been going to classes at the gym for about 5 weeks, now doing 5 sessions a week (a mixture of cardio and pump classes). For the last few classes I have either had cramp or it's been threatening in either my foot or my calf muscles and I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong with my water or salt intake (vaguely remember that salt has something to do with cramp but can't remember if it is too little or too much that can cause it!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't help you with this.....apparently no one else can either! Hope you get some replies though.... :happy:
  • rairai979
    rairai979 Posts: 52
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking enough water. Also, I get leg and foot cramps often, and I find that a magnesium supplement helps.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Sounds like a charlie horse! Try eating a banana (or other potassium-packed food) about an hour before you exercise. When you exercise that hard, you're losing a lot of vitamins/minerals/electrolytes. So, either grab a no sugar added sports drink or electrolytes (I like Mio) or try potassium-packed foods. Maybe just a meal (nothing heavy) an hour or so before you work out! Anything to bump up your nutrient levels! Hope this helps!!!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    you can also try rolling a tennis ball or foam roller on the parts that are sore to loosen the muscles. also plenty plenty and more plenty of water =)
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My son plays soccer... they eat bananas and drink pickle juice to keep leg cramps at bay, I have no idea why.
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options
    Drink your water, maybe try some stretching after your exercise, eat some bananas or kiwi.

Hope this helps some!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    The most common cause of muscle cramps in exercisers is lack of salt, according to a report from the University of Oklahoma (Sports Medicine, April-May 2007). The authors cite studies of tennis and football players showing that crampers tend to be salty sweaters, and of triathletes who cramp losing more salt during a race than peers who did not cramp. They found that intravenous saline can reverse cramping, and that more salt in the diet or in sports drinks can help to prevent heat cramping
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking enough water. Also, I get leg and foot cramps often, and I find that a magnesium supplement helps.

This... also, some feel that low sodium can also trigger cramps, although you'd never know if from me (I'm a salt-a-holic & still have a cramp issue)