lifting with headphones

Options
After only a few months I abandoned listening to music during squats, deads, and bench press...

Anyone else have trouble lifting their max with headphones in? The beat messes with my breathing and focus. I guess others probably just zone out, but, I prefer to only listen to music during cardio or "easy" isolation exercises like curls, calf raises, etc.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    No music for me, I need to focus.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    They don't bother me while lifting at all. The bonus is they keep people from talking to me while I'm working out.
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I used to get anxiety because I thought I would be breathing very loud & everyone could hear even though I wasn't.
    I just keep it at low volume now. Unless nobody is around.. then I crank it!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I can lift with music externally but not in ear... It sometimes messes my balance up idk why!
    For squats I need the volume lowered due to focus on pushing!
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    They don't bother me while lifting at all. The bonus is they keep people from talking to me while I'm working out.

^^This
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yes, i find myself just taking my beats by dre off and lifting
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    After only a few months I abandoned listening to music during squats, deads, and bench press...

Anyone else have trouble lifting their max with headphones in? The beat messes with my breathing and focus. I guess others probably just zone out, but, I prefer to only listen to music during cardio or "easy" isolation exercises like curls, calf raises, etc.

I do cardio to music, but for lifting I need silence and darkness.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Now that you mention it, not sure if it makes a difference for me. I'll have to do an experiment next week now. But even if the music isn't on, I would likely leave the earphones in. Puts me in isolation mode. There are some serious chatter boxes at my gym @ 5am and surprisingly it's the men.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have piercings inside my ear that make it hard to keep earbuds in, so I only listen to music if I'm not really moving too much, like walking. I don't care too much for headphones because I can't really hear people around me, and I don't want to be oblivious to my surroundings.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I need music to lift.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I actually find myself able to lift more when I get the right song going. Gets me in the right frame of mind and focus.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I actually find myself able to lift more when I get the right song going. Gets me in the right frame of mind and focus.

me too. i have to listen to something heavy and kind of angry sounding.
  • REDROBE_69
    REDROBE_69 Posts: 48
    Options
    ^^EXACTLY!! It's a MUST that I have heavy music when I am crushing that iron! Plus I hate the type of music our gym plays.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    +1 for I need the right piece of music for a big lift. Disasterpiece by Slipknot is one of my best ones.