What the Gym Guy Says...

Options
jollyrj2
jollyrj2 Posts: 22 Member
Hello - been on MFP for awhile but never posted before, just a lurker and a food tracker.

I have learned A LOT about women and lifting heavy on here. As a woman, I was excited to take what I had learned here and another popular body bullding site to the gym and get myself started lifting heavy.

In a general conversation with the owner of the gym, "gym guy", I made the mistake of telling him my plan to lift heavy and showed him my workout program which I had on paper. He looked it over, grimaced (a lot), and said "yeah, if you want to go for that big bulky look, go for it". Ugh!

Now, most everything I have read on many different sources states that lifting heavy as a woman does not make you bulky and to say otherwise, is incaccurate.. old school .. myth. Without sounding redundant, it takes more for a woman to actually bulk up which includes a major surplus in diet and even steroids or such as that.

Why oh why oh why are there so many "fitness professionals" out there that are still advocating for woman NOT to lift heavy? I mean, what really throws me through a tail spin of confusion is yes, I can read and read on the internet how lifting heavy isn't going to have a bulking up effect naturally and then a "fitness professional" that I can actually talk to face to face shoots that theory down? And, it's not just him.. it's his assistant who pushes that too. "Don't lift too heavy or you will bulk up..." Really makes it confusing..

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have way too many friends here at MFP who lift heavy, and have done so for quite a while, and they are not bulky in the least - just lean, firm and strong, and looking very fit. The gym guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • jollyrj2
    jollyrj2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks AmyRhubarb. That's what I have read and seen when looking at "before and after" photos of women who lift heavy. Lean, strong, and fit.

The gym guy - he really doesn't look like he knows what he's talking about either. Visually, he's not the epitome of someone physcially fit. So, what he says is questionable. Sigh..
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options

The gym guy - he really doesn't look like he knows what he's talking about either. Visually, he's not the epitome of someone physcially fit. So, what he says is questionable. Sigh..

He's a moron... Period.