Eating right but gaining weight (Fibromyalgia)

Options
I started this weight loss journey in February. Since then I've managed to lose a stone, however, these last two or three weeks I've stayed the same or gained then lost a small amount. I've lost 3" around my waist, tummy and bum but I find it quite disheartening when the scales aren't coming down. I do cardio workouts twice a week, and weight training three times. If I don't have time for something I do the 30DS but make sure to exercise at least 4 days a week.
I try to eat 50%protien, 30%carb and 20%fat though I sometimes go over on carb as I find chicken and other lean meats expensive! I'm also quite a fussy eater and don't like nuts or seeds. I always drink at least 1.5l water/diluting juice but am trying to get it to 3l on a more regular basis (I used to drink a single can of fizzy juice a day and that was it so I find drinking a lot hard but am working on it)
Am I doing something wrong? Is my Fibro affecting things? Thank you for reading. I appreciate any help I can get!

Replies

• ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    There could be a number of factors at play here, but the main possible reasons may be:

1) You're not measuring accurately and you're actually eating more than you think.
    2) You're not eating enough. Can't determine this without seeing your food diary, though.
    3) Some medications, specifically for fibro, can cause people to gain and/or hold onto weight.
    4) Changes in your exercise routine can cause you to hold onto water, as your muscles use it to repair themselves.
    5) If you are consuming a lot of sodium, you could be retaining water, as sodium can cause water retention.
    6) TOM - It happens and we deal. It usually causes temporary weight gain.
    7) You're overestimating your calories burned. If you are eating back your exercise calories, there is a possibility that you could be eating more than you've actually burned. A heart rate monitor will help you get a more accurate sense of how many calories you are actually burning.
  • aprilcherryblossom
    aprilcherryblossom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I've opened my diary. I have a set of scales that I keep in the kitchen and use every time I prepare a meal. If I'm served it I have to guess but always try to guess over rather than under.
    TOM might actually be the cause come to think of it. Will weight myself next week and see.
    I have a HRM. I absolutely love it! And I try not to eat back my calories. If I do, I don't go over half. Thank you for your advice (:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Might sound counterintutive, but I'd start eating more of my exercise calories on the days I exercised. When I was losing, I'd treat those days as my "less restrictive" days. I'm thinking on the days you workout you aren't getting enough food. Try this for 3 weeks (the amount of time that it takes to usually see a change after altering food/workout) and see how you do. Because from everything else I'm reading you are doing everything else correctly.

I started out eating 1420 (what MFP assigned me to lose 1lb/week) and saw a 6 pound loss in 3 weeks. Then nothing for 3 weeks. I upped my calories to 1550 and ate 1/2 my exercise calories and the pounds starting melting off fast. Obviously I just had to find my calorie sweet spot. It's different for everyone...

Good Luck and let us know how you get along...
  • aprilcherryblossom
    aprilcherryblossom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'll give that a go and see how I get on (: I have to admit, being told to eat more sounds delightful! haha The only reason I haven't been is that I can only afford to eat so much protien a day so by eating more carbs it throws off my 50/30/20 goal.
  • tobrocker
    tobrocker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree - eat all of your exercise calories - make sure your NET calories are NOT less than 1200. You dont want to starve your body.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, you're doing great! Just keep at it and the scales will start moving. I find that eating better and exercising helps my fibromyagia A LOT :flowerforyou:

Up your calories if you're strength training and buy meats when on sale and stock up in freezer.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Try some cheaper vegetarian forms of protein like Quinoa, pumpkin seeds and black beans----cheap and high in protein! Plus cottage cheese and eggs are not too dear.