But I still want to go out drinking!!

Options
Alright I know I'm going to probably get an ear full for this about how I should just not drink so much ....but darn it I'm 23 and its not like I do it every night. So my question is this...How do you prepare if your know your gonna do a lot of drinking in the evening? I'm trying to keep my calories low for food but I guess I'm wondering just how low I should keep them. Note that I am beer drinker because mix drinks are way too expensive....this girl is poor!

Replies

• thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    Drink the low calorie beers...I think each brand makes one and their is one that is 55 calories. Select 55, I think?
  • Tandksmommy10
    Options
    Drink light beer, limit yourself as to how many you'll have and plan to exercise that day to make up for it.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Don't drink low calorie beers. :sick: :laugh:

I drink tons of water & go to the gym & burn off enough room for 3-4 pints of GOOD beers (I'm a stout/porter girl so that means burning about 1000 cals for me). Takes me about 75-90 minutes at the gym to make that much room. Then I eat plenty of good foods throughout the day -- lots of veggies & lean proteins -- and then I enjoy my night. :smile:
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    The bars we have here the beer price is as outrageous as the mix drink

I stopped drinking beer (being 21 thats was $%#$%^% hard!)
    Now when I drink i buy either pepsi max or coke zero and mix it with vodka sometimes i even cut it with water and lime juice, that way in every drink the only calories are in the ounce or two of vodka. (about 60 cals an ounce I'm told)

When you go to the bar they don't usually have sugarfree pop anyway, and often light beers are hard to find in the bar setting. Unfortunately for us the bars don't cater to the nutritionist in us. So you might be screwed, keep your eyes open though

Really your best bet is to hit the gym in the afternoon and then get your drink on at night
  • countrymama08
    Options
    Do not, I repeat do not. Keep your calories too low. I did this when I was your age and it was a disaster when I went out. I would say if you don't do this often just have 2 or 3 low cal beers and call it a night. Space them out with water. No need to get drunk.
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys ...I suppose this was all common sense really just trying to see what other people have to say...I do about 90 minutes at the gym 5 days a week so I'm hoping that along with eating like a rabbit today will do the trick
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Could you not drink vodka with sparkling water and fresh lime? Around 50 calories a drink and you're rehydrating as you drink.

I love beer too but I love wine more...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Alright I know I'm going to probably get an ear full for this about how I should just not drink so much ....but darn it I'm 23 and its not like I do it every night. So my question is this...How do you prepare if your know your gonna do a lot of drinking in the evening? I'm trying to keep my calories low for food but I guess I'm wondering just how low I should keep them. Note that I am beer drinker because mix drinks are way too expensive....this girl is poor!

Hey, it's all about priorities.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    When you have another young person telling another young person how to drink or prepare for drinking it brings out some serious issues at hand. I can see the social side of drinking for those who must but what do you call a lot of drinking. Why do you have to drink until you are tipsy verse just to have 2 to 3 bears within a 4 hour period to be sociable.

Anything beyond that is over indulgence and opens up the red light. Also, age has nothing to do with making an excuse as in heck I am 23 after all. You have do an excellent weight loss thus far. You can blame it on youth or immaturity when it comes to drinking but it comes down to the right choice.

So, if you drink do so wisely. I would prefer you to eat beyond your calories if you are going to eat to much and make it up the other 6 days but that is up to you but drinking as much as you described is never a wise choice. Leads to bad choices and guilt.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I would wait until you reach your goal weight to go out drinking :wink: Ok now that I did my motherly part. I would say try to stick with low cal beers, (I'm an amstel light girl myself), but most of them are gross. :laugh: But I agree with not keeping your cals too low, focus on fibrous carbs and protein, things with potassium (watermelon) so you can stay hydrated. Try to skip the heavy starchy carbs , and drink lots of WATER. My BIL mixes that Fuse drink (juice like with 0 cals and low sugar) with Vodka or gin. Have fun :)
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    Thank you guys ...I suppose this was all common sense really just trying to see what other people have to say...I do about 90 minutes at the gym 5 days a week so I'm hoping that along with eating like a rabbit today will do the trick

In all honesty that will probably do more harm then good. Mainly being that eating too light will slow your metabolism right down and then when you drink all those carbs they are going to be more likely to store then burn, keep your metabolism going!
  • YourCatalyst429
    Options
    I just want to clarify its not like I'm going out to drink by troubles away or anything. We're going out to an all night concert and we'll be seeing a lot of our friends there is just something that comes naturally when hanging out at bar.
  • YourCatalyst429
    Options

In all honesty that will probably do more harm then good. Mainly being that eating too light will slow your metabolism right down and then when you drink all those carbs they are going to be more likely to store then burn, keep your metabolism going!

I don't mean I'm not going to eat a lot I just mean I'm going to stick to mostly fruits and veggies
  • YourCatalyst429
    Options

I don't mean I'm not going to eat a lot I just mean I'm going to stick to mostly fruits and veggies
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't deprive yourself and eat low low low calorie foods all day. That's gonna get your metabolisim all out of wack. Probably make you sick later in the night. However, I would get in some exercise if you can. I wouldn't drink the low calorie beers if you are looking to get a buzz, pretty sure those have low alcohol content and you drink twice as much...therefore kind of pointless. If it's not an everyday occurance doing this from time to time isn't going to hurt your weight loss. I do it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Hey, it's all about priorities.

That's what I was going to say.
    Do what is most important to you -- reaching your goal weight or drinking with friends.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question!

My sister is having her wedding reception tomorrow night and I know that I will drink... time to celebrate as I didn't get to go to the wedding since it was in another country! I guess planning ahead of time is the way to go.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Do not, I repeat do not. Keep your calories too low. I did this when I was your age and it was a disaster when I went out. I would say if you don't do this often just have 2 or 3 low cal beers and call it a night. Space them out with water. No need to get drunk.

yeah doesnt make a lot of sense to cut back nutrition calories for empty alcohol calories, seems the best idea would be work out really hard and burn off the calories you think you might be drinking
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You're 23, have fun. If you're worried about your calories drink light rum and diet cola or club soda. Light rum is very low on carbs and calories.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Just a warning about the eating light all day thing -- get some major PROTEIN! When you start drinking, even if you just have a few beers, you're going to get the munchies. And if you're actually legitimately hungry, you're probably going to make some stupid food decisions.

So, either plan for those stupid food decisions, or eat well BEFORE drinking to keep yourself satisfied all night.

I've been out drinking (and no, I don't go get sloshed -- I generally meet friends at a pub & have 2-4 pints of beer which is something I REALLY enjoy & that improves my quality of life and that I would never choose to NOT do just to lose an extra pound that month; so get off your high horses :tongue:) maybe twice a month for the last 11 months. And I can honestly say only ONCE did I make a good food decision after drinking. I came home & was totally starving & ate grilled chicken breast & steamed broccoli. :noway: But most times, I've either abstained from eating at all (which is a win in those cases) or I've eaten something stupid like pizza or pretzels or fast food.