Some concerns about the plan my new trainer gave me

Options
I am just finishing week 4 of my own plan that I made up, and although I have only dropped 6 pounds (from 270 to 264) on the scale in that time, I am pretty comfortable with that. My calorie goal after taking 500 off of my base metabolism is a little over 1800, and I am burning 700-900 calories a day hiking on the mountain near me, and am lifting weights 3 times a week. I have been tracking my exercise and trying to keep my additional deficit to around 700 (eating around 1800-2000) because I don't feel that a deficit of more than 1000-1500 a day is going to be healthy for me. I want to lose weight, but I would rather lose more slowly if it increase the chance of keeping the weight off for good.

I joined a gym because I outgrew my dumbbells and wanted access to a good weight room. I also decided to work with a trainer to really get a solid strength training plan. This guy is pushing a meal plan at me that is 1200 calories. I told him that that seemed too low, and that based on the calories estimated by MyFitnessPal for hauling my fat rear end up a 1000 foot elevation change every day, MFP is estimating that I need to eat 2500 to have a 500 calorie deficit. He scoffed and said the system is probably overestimating what I am burning.

My gut feeling (no pun intended) is that the deficit I have been maintaining is working and at a speed that seems safe reasonable to me. His "meal plan" is made up entirely of meals that are lie "4 oz raw tofu, 1 cup raw broccoli, 1 cup of raw parsley." No exaggeration. Although he stresses that he is offering a lifestyle change and not a diet, this smacks of diet to me. I know that under no circumstances and I going to be eating raw tofu and a cup of parsley on a regular basis, and I have been vegetarian for years.

Added to that, he is pushing a supplement called Emerge at me that is basically a diet supplement that contains an appetite suppressant, an undisclosed amount of caffeine, and synephrine, which is associated with ephedra-like side effects. Exactly what I don't want when I am cleaning up my food choices and really exercising to lose weight and get fit in a way that represents a sustainable lifestyle change. I know that when someone comes in and tries to tweak what you eat and how you exercise, it can evoke resistance, and I don't want to sabotage myself by resisting the changes I need to make to get fit and back to a comfortable weight. On the other hand, I have this feeling that what he is suggesting is really aimed at very fast, potentially unhealthy weight loss, because that is the product he is selling.

So I am wondering if my fellow weight-loss adventurers can tell me, am I just being resistant to change because I don't want to feel hungry all the time? Is 1200 reasonable when MyFitnessPal is estimating that I am burning 3000 calories? Help me, Obiwan Kenobis. You're my only hope!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. Google Nia Shanks, she keeps it common sense and real.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing week 4 of my own plan that I made up, and although I have only dropped 6 pounds (from 270 to 264) on the scale in that time, I am pretty comfortable with that. My calorie goal after taking 500 off of my base metabolism is a little over 1800, and I am burning 700-900 calories a day hiking on the mountain near me, and am lifting weights 3 times a week. I have been tracking my exercise and trying to keep my additional deficit to around 700 (eating around 1800-2000) because I don't feel that a deficit of more than 1000-1500 a day is going to be healthy for me. I want to lose weight, but I would rather lose more slowly if it increase the chance of keeping the weight off for good.

I joined a gym because I outgrew my dumbbells and wanted access to a good weight room. I also decided to work with a trainer to really get a solid strength training plan. This guy is pushing a meal plan at me that is 1200 calories. I told him that that seemed too low, and that based on the calories estimated by MyFitnessPal for hauling my fat rear end up a 1000 foot elevation change every day, MFP is estimating that I need to eat 2500 to have a 500 calorie deficit. He scoffed and said the system is probably overestimating what I am burning.

My gut feeling (no pun intended) is that the deficit I have been maintaining is working and at a speed that seems safe reasonable to me. His "meal plan" is made up entirely of meals that are lie "4 oz raw tofu, 1 cup raw broccoli, 1 cup of raw parsley." No exaggeration. Although he stresses that he is offering a lifestyle change and not a diet, this smacks of diet to me. I know that under no circumstances and I going to be eating raw tofu and a cup of parsley on a regular basis, and I have been vegetarian for years.

Added to that, he is pushing a supplement called Emerge at me that is basically a diet supplement that contains an appetite suppressant, an undisclosed amount of caffeine, and synephrine, which is associated with ephedra-like side effects. Exactly what I don't want when I am cleaning up my food choices and really exercising to lose weight and get fit in a way that represents a sustainable lifestyle change. I know that when someone comes in and tries to tweak what you eat and how you exercise, it can evoke resistance, and I don't want to sabotage myself by resisting the changes I need to make to get fit and back to a comfortable weight. On the other hand, I have this feeling that what he is suggesting is really aimed at very fast, potentially unhealthy weight loss, because that is the product he is selling.

So I am wondering if my fellow weight-loss adventurers can tell me, am I just being resistant to change because I don't want to feel hungry all the time? Is 1200 reasonable when MyFitnessPal is estimating that I am burning 3000 calories? Help me, Obiwan Kenobis. You're my only hope!

Trainers are NOT nutritionists - and while I am not either, everything reputable I have read (and my own personal experience) says the way you are doing food is the correct, safe, healthy way. Working out that much and eating 1200 calories a day will result in lean body mass loss, messed up hormones, fatigue, and slowed metabolism. Just follow his workout advice as long as it makes sense to.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I agree with you.

If you are happily losing weight at 1800-2000 I can't see why you'd want to eat 1200. Especially since I also agree with you that those meals sound gross.

If you are losing weight without supplements why would you want them? He's selling stuff.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    ditch this trainer, trust your gut. stay on your own path: it's working!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When people do 1200 here on MFP, they're supposed to eat back exercise calories...so if you go forward with this, then definitely eat back your exercise calories.

Also, I pretty much think 1200 calories is stupid and so is your trainer...get a new trainer.
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would talk with management at the gym. I am not sure that this is his role and there may be other trainers that would suit you better?

Seems like there should be a test drive option for this type of thing.
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    Trust your gut. Lower than 1500 results in boomerang bingeing. I have found that it depends on the food I'm eating - if I'm keeping my intake at 3 oz of protein per meal, 2 cups of raw veggies, 2 t. fat, 1 cup whole grain/root veggie, 1 cup 2% dairy, 1 cup fruit per meal, I am always full and nourished and the weight falls off.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like your personal trainer is trying to push a completely unsustainable and unsafe plan onto you. Your plan is working and you are doing this the healthy way. Stick with what you are doing (after all, it's working!). Those diet pills also sound dangerous to me.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It seems like you know what you are doing. I say keep on with your current dietary plans as long as they are working for you and sustainable, use the trainer to get new ideas for working out and proper lifting form for the compound barbell lifts. Good luck!
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    Oh - one more thing. Trainers aren't trained in dietetics. That is an advanced 4 year degree. He's trained in commissions.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Just nod your head and smile about his attempt at offering nutrition and focus on what he has to offer as far as weights. It sounds like you have a handle on your eating plan and it is working for you. WTG!
  • kgillis87
    kgillis87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think you are right to be suspicious of this plan. I mean, yes you would definitely see results, but it's completely out of line with what you want, and what you feel safe and happy doing. Also, like you said, it seems unsustainable, so once this "plan" is finished, is it likely that the gains (or losses, depending on how you want to look at it...) are going to be maintained? Or will some of the weight just suddenly reappear when you stop eating a cup of parsley for a meal?

Is it possible to find a new trainer at your gym? If it was me, I would feel uncomfortable working with this guy, since he seems like he might be less than completely concerned for your health and safety. If there is someone else there who will be more understanding of what you truly want out of your program, you might be better off with them.

Good luck!
  • ellewiz71
    ellewiz71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with you.

If you are happily losing weight at 1800-2000 I can't see why you'd want to eat 1200. Especially since I also agree with you that those meals sound gross.

If you are losing weight without supplements why would you want them? He's selling stuff.

Nicely stated!!! I totally agree.
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

If I were you I would do some light research into why HIS way sucks, and YOUR way is working. Print that off and show him how unhealthy his way is. If you eat like that, you will gain it all back when you start eating "normally" again. Sounds to me like you know your body better and just needed heavier weights... screw the trainer, lift with a friend or on your own ;-)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    WOW... Somebody needs a new trainer.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Someone doesn't understand what "it's a lifestyle change" means. It's meant to indicate that instead of a short-term drastic change in your food intake, you do things that are intended to be permanent. But people like that trainer seem to think of it as just a slogan to sell their ... diet plan.

Realistically, who is going to live forever on raw tofu and parsley? Is that a sustainable lifestyle change in the modern world, for people with workplaces and families and traditions and festivals? Probably not.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Abort! Abort! Danger Will Robinson!
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Go with your instincts :) I am hoping he is a good trainer (with the weights and all) than he is with nutrition. If so, just ignore his psycho babble, and just make use of his weight training knowledge to the best of your ability :)

Edited to add: Or, get another trainer :)
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    He's broken your trust--believe in your gut feelings, your body is telling you something about this guy isn't right. Find another trainer who you, and your body, feel comfortable with.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I would request a different trainer. You are paying for the service, either directly or through your gym membership. Don't be afraid to ask for a switch. And tell them you want someone who will specifically train you on weights.

I would almost be tempted also to report him for trying to push product on you, unless your gym is ok with that. Hopefully not.