How to Say No to the Kids Cookies/Snacks :)

Options
I've been doing good, keeping track of EVERY bite. There are just some days when I come home and the kid's snacks are just calling my name. I don't keep a lot of sweets in the house but enough for the kids after school every now and then.

I was wondering how you guys keep the sweets under control.

Replies

• scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just... do. I eat one and walk away. I log the one I eat. Make sure you don't sit down with the package or stand there and graze. Put it away as soon as you take out your one. I've found myself perfectly capable of eating just one piece of chocolate or just one cookie and walking away. Just don't make anything else an option, and make sure to slowly savor the one you take.

Also, if you can't control yourself around them, do you really need to keep them in the house in the first place? It's not like your kids need that junk food any more than I do. Could you keep healthier snacks in the house for after school, and save the sweets for special treats?
  • Dort68
    Dort68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This will sound mean, but just don't buy snacks for the "kids" if you are going to eat them. They really don't need the junk and if you don't buy it you won't eat it.

If you do eat it, log it and move on.
  • feelinggreat140
    feelinggreat140 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think back on some of the snacks I gave my kids after school and wonder if they were for the kids or really for me and my sweet tooth. This is a great opportunity to teach your children about healthy snacks. Maybe if you think about this as a family now then your kids won't have to deal with worrying about losing the weight as an adult. I am just thinking here. I know that my sister used to say she liked to send her kids to my house because we usually had healthy snacks. I often wondered why I was the one with them??? Don't we shop at the same place? It is great to share a sweet treat but an apple with peanut butter or ants on a log are also sweet treats....candy no but still yummy.
  • katsyear2019
    katsyear2019 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback. I had one the other day and when I logged it, that one snack just didn't seem worth it. It wasn't filling at all, just satisfied my craving for the moment. I went grocery shopping and found better snacks to help with my cravings. I also bought healthier snacks for the kids to enjoy.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it, or buy less.
    I buy cookies maybe once or twice a month.
    I bake most of our treats,
    But my kids snacks also consist of healthy stuff, strawberries, grapes, etc...

you can control what you bring in the house, and the sooner you start with the kids the better. You will be surprised how much they will love it.
    my kids eat a pack of strawberries in a day.
    my daughter eats Kale salad and avocados. Some kids do not even know what that is.

I eat cookies if I do have some at home, I see the nutritional value and I factor it into my daily calorie and sugar intake.
    I have my falls, where I eat a bit too much, but if I do not have it then I have less of those moments.

ULTIMATELY its up to you and only you. You can do this.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback. I had one the other day and when I logged it, that one snack just didn't seem worth it. It wasn't filling at all, just satisfied my craving for the moment. I went grocery shopping and found better snacks to help with my cravings. I also bought healthier snacks for the kids to enjoy.

That's great. Better for you and better for your kids. Why do some people think that it's OK to give their kids stuff that they know they shouldn't be eating? Active growing children might need more energy than their parents but they are still people and need healthy food like the rest of us! Conversely, a total ban on treats can serve to make them more appealing and then once your kids are doing their own shopping they'll be drawn to the forbidden fruit. Helping your kids develop a healthy palate and good eating habits is an important role but nobody ever said it was easy being a parent!

Logging really helps you think about what you're eating and whether or not it's worth eating. When I have treats in the cupboard I try to check the calories (they're always hidden in such tiny writing) and write it on the pack in big letters to remind myself in a moment of weakness. Sometimes I chose to ignore the warning and sometimes I chose a different snack.