Breakfast foods - eggs/bacon vs cereal/carnationi

Options
Hey all.
My normal breakfast is chocolate carnation with skim milk. (90 days so far) It keeps me filled until lunch. I figured since it had vitamins it would be a healthy breakfast. However I've heard a lot about the "meat and nut breakfast".

I'm thinking about converting to the microwave scrambled eggs in the morning with a piece or two of turkey bacon.

Anyone have suggestions or a breakfast that seems to work well for you.

Thanks.
Joe

Replies

• muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am currently on oatmeal breakfast, is thinking of same too switch to egg BF,BTW how you make microwave scramble egg?
  • chicanita91
    chicanita91 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    5/7 days of the week i turn to eggs and bacon for breakfast personally, just because of the protein
  • Heidi_11913
    Heidi_11913 Posts: 54
    Options
    I scramble 4-5 egg whites(sometimes will throw in 1 yolk) with a laughing cow light cheese wedge(garlic & herb is my fav with eggs) and then either throw in some ham, bacon or sausage links.... it keeps me full until lunch with all the protein, AND it's really yummy and not alot of carbs. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I alternate between

2-3 eggs fried in coconut oil
    Toast with butter
    Black coffee
    Fresh fruit

or

Oatmeal
    1/3 cup Greek plain yogurt
    Fresh fruit
    Walnuts
    Honey
    Cinnamon

Both give me good protein and keep me full - and none of the sugar or junky stuff that carnation stuff has in it. Both meals are quick to fix and delicious!
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am currently on oatmeal breakfast, is thinking of same too switch to egg BF,BTW how you make microwave scramble egg?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have coffee for breakfast. But if I ate breakfast, I would choose bacon and eggs - although I do not think it matters much. If what you are doing works for you and you are hitting reasonable macro goals, then keep doing it.
  • joekleinert
    joekleinert Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    lots of how to videos on youtube of microwave eggs. Like 1 minute and they are done. Have to open microwave a few times to fluff the eggs but looks too easy!

Check it out!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I do omelets or yogurt, typically. The omelets vary between EggBeaters and real eggs, but I need the protein, so either one works well.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i have a huge breakfast usually so a lot of the time i eat both eggs and bacon with a small bowl of fiber cereal. add to that a toasted english muffin with avocado and you have my normal breakfast! but if i had to choose i would probably go with eggs and turkey bacon. although ir eally do love my fiber one cereal the eggs and bacon fit my macros a little better.

be careful with microwaving eggs at work. ive been told the eggs leave a funky smell (although i've never noticed it myself)
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I made microwave scramble eggs . I spray same Pam in a bowl and I do egg beater and egg white for a minute flip and do about 35 sec. And it's ready , also Make turkey bacon in the microwave . In 3 minutes or less you have breakfast.

Look up hungry girl a lot of good recipes
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Eggs and bacon win out for me, hands down.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm a protein lover - so lately I've been on a quick creamy polenta with poached eggs - NOM! sometimes bacon or sausage on the side - also into Tortilla Espanola ( most recipes call for waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much oil - but I've got it down) throw in some left over veggies from last nite's dinner--mostly egg whites sometimes with a whole egg thrown in - if I have meat I might throw some on the plate as well - They are so filling - I usually don't have any morning snacks - and tend to combine a light lunch/afternoon snack well after 2-3 p.m. I do occassionally have fruit and cereal too - but the protein seems to tide me over for so much longer
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I made microwave scramble eggs . I spray same Pam in a bowl and I do egg beater and egg white for a minute flip and do about 35 sec. And it's ready , also Make turkey bacon in the microwave . In 3 minutes or less you have breakfast.

Look up hungry girl a lot of good recipes

I use regular eggs, fork-whisk them in a bowl (no Pam) and add about 1/2 tbsp of water. Nuke on high for 20sec, remove and whisk to break up the forming curds, Nuke on high another 20sec. Done.

I've tried the same on another microwave and ended up with hard scrambled eggs, so you'll need to experiment some with the timing. Lower power helps keep the scramble softer - it's harder to overshoot on time.

For me, I like adding chopped tomato, chopped onion, any spare roasted veggies I have around, chopped sausage (I like applegate farm's flavors of chicken & turkey sausage), sometimes cheese. Neufchatel cheese will make your eggs really creamy and rich-tasting. I use a garlic and scallion seasoned one for more flavor.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I eat a very light breakfast usually - coffee & fruit or cottage cheese. I do have a mid-morning snack, something also light.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No eggs for me .... but plain oatmeal doesn't cut it .... I have to add something more filling to it

Oatmeal made with milk adds protein ..... oatmeal with peanut butter or nuts adds healthy fats..... I can bump up the fiber with chia seeds.

Greek yogurt is very high protein ... I add fruit for fiber (and flavor) .... a sprinkle of Grapenuts cereal (or nuts) is also good.

There are high protein cereals ... not many, you have to look for these. Kashi Go Lean is one that is high protein & high fiber.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options

This is how I do it.

http://www.mrfood.com/Eggs/Coffee-Cup-Scramble#

You can also use egg beaters which you would just use 8 tbls of instead of 2 eggs. However the cook time for these is longer than regular eggs.