running . . . no weight loss?

Options
Okay, so I started mfp 3 weeks ago and stepped up my power walking right away to try to compliment the calorie counting. I went from 2, 15 minute miles, to 3, 14 minute miles within a week. I was at the track watching other people jog/feeling a little bored, and though I haven't run since my 20's, I decided to just pick up and jog for a few minutes and see what happened. I ran a half a lap, liked what that did to my time, so each day I've added more running in intervals until I was running a couple miles and walking a couple miles. I've been exercising 6 days a week.
That explained, I had lost 3 pounds the first week of the program. Now I have been going up and back down, but not losing anything despite following my calorie limits. Is there anyone out there with a similar experience that might have some insight? Would I be better off to go back to just power walking? or should I be more patient while my body adjusts? I'm getting pretty discouraged, so any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Running burns a lot more calories, so have you changed your calorie intake at all? I found that when I started running I had to add a few more calories each day or my weight loss would slow down. Now in saying this, it is typical to have the dreaded "2nd week slowdown" so you may want to give it another week, or so, but that is what my experience was.
    If I have a bunch of days that my exercise is more intensive I need to increase my calories a bit or my scale doesn't move either.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You might be putting on some muscle. Have you measured your waist and hips? Drinking enough water to make up for what you are sweating off? Could be retaining fluid if not.

Just some ideas. Keep at it. It will pay off.

L
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    There could be many things that it could be.

1. You have stepped up your exercise so your body will increase glycogen stores to help with energy. Check your measurements and see if they are changing. If so, you are doing great ignore the scale.
    2. Not having enough water/too much sodium. This will increase water retention. Especially if you are doing more outside you will need to drink more to counteract the heat.
    3. You don't have much to loose. The last 10 lbs took me 3 months to loose. As you get close to your ideal body weight your body fights loosing the weight.

You are doing well it sounds. Try adjusting your calories up or down. Sometimes that can be enough to help shock your system. Sometimes eating more food will make your body realize it is ok to let go of the fat.

Good Luck.
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    do you have a heart rate monity/calorie counter? That might help... ?
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You might be putting on some muscle. Have you measured your waist and hips? Drinking enough water to make up for what you are sweating off? Could be retaining fluid if not.

Just some ideas. Keep at it. It will pay off.

L

I was also thinking muscle gain too... :)
  • lalouli
    lalouli Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks you guys! Appreciate your ideas and will try them. :0)