Anyone else struggling with a lot of water retention?

Options
Hi,
I'm up 3lbs so far this week (to be fair it hasn't been a full week since I last weighed myself). I'm drinking water like a mad woman but I'm getting headaches which could be dehydration?

This is also the first week I biked everyday to work, after tonight that will be the first time I've biked 40 miles in one week I know sometimes increasing exercise can cause water retention.

I'm not adding salt to anything but I did notice a couple days when I was over on my sodium intake.

It can't be actual fat because there is noway I ate 10,500 /extra calories this week. I'm a little skeptical it's all muscle too.

How do I resolve this, or will it work itself out over the next couple weeks? If I cut back my sodium, how much should I cut?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Since I started tracking things like that, I've had a few occasions where I held onto water weight for a 6 days.
  • momo9128706
    momo9128706 Posts: 45
    Options
    Part of it could be the over sodium intake.. And also since you are doing so much extra I'm assuming your body is sore? I gain/hold up to 4 lbs in water weight with sore muscles. I would make sure you are stretching good before/after the workouts/biking, keep better track on your sodium, make sure you account with caffiene that you drink MORE water, and give it a few days and I'll bet it will go down.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If it persists after a few more days, try adding the following to your diet, they're a natural diuretic and will help dispel the extra water: Asparagus, Parsley, Cilantro, Juniper berries (strengthen the kidneys), celery (with leaves).

Usually it does disappear after a few days without doing anything though.
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can tell your level of dehydration by the color of your pee. The darker yellow - the MORE you need to drink. Goal is for urine to be almost clear.
  • egwene1977
    egwene1977 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm dealing with this right now, too. My feet were even swollen for a couple days. I've been eating bananas to try to flush out the excess sodium. Good luck to you!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It is not dehydration, but the exercise. When you start a more intense or new exercise workout, or up considerably the weight you were lifting, it takes a few days for the body to adjust. You will notice that the same happens the day after one does heavy lifting. You just started biking to work everyday and you have done 40 miles, that's a lot of exercise and muscle work. It is not the sodium.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You've substantially increased your exercise activity with your biking...your muscles are retaining water and glycogen to repair...it's a good thing, don't wish it away. If your muscles weren't retaining any water or glycogen it would be indicate that your body is not having a training response to what you're doing...which would mean you'd pretty much be wasting your time.
  • Smoni2008
    Smoni2008 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Water follows sodium! Cut back on sodium and you will ultimately decrease your water retention!
  • nuttingh
    nuttingh Posts: 65
    Options
    You've substantially increased your exercise activity with your biking...your muscles are retaining water and glycogen to repair...it's a good thing, don't wish it away. If your muscles weren't retaining any water or glycogen it would be indicate that your body is not having a training response to what you're doing...which would mean you'd pretty much be wasting your time.

This is what I am dealing with now and this explains it very well. I've been holding water for about one week now and it's different for each person and also how much sodium you take in daily. I'm not worried this time around because years ago, it took me about two weeks to finally drop my water weight after new exercises/programs. Then, I had a pretty good loss. Keep doing a good job and you'll be happy for it later. And your muscles are thanking you for the water! :)
  • Sav_Sky
    Sav_Sky Posts: 82
    Options
    Your body needs a little longer to get used to the exercise. It happened to me when I first started to exercise again. Once I felt my body was more used to it, I was not getting the headaches anymore. I actually started to feel great. Also, you want a balance of sodium and potassium. You do not want to have too little sodium or too little potassium. The next day when muscles are soar the best thing to get that lactic acid (the stuff that makes our muscles soar) out is more movement to bring oxygen to the cells. So stretch, exercise, stretch, repeat.
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat this week too! My weight has been up 4 pounds all week, and like you, I haven't been overdoing it on food, but I have been sore from some big workouts. It happens to me often, so I am sure it will work itself out soon.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise 3 weeks ago. I came home to the scale jumping up 14 POUNDS. 14 POUNDS!!!! I've been home now for 11 days and as of this morning im back to my prevacation weight. I didnt even know that much water weight was possible!
  • momo9128706
    momo9128706 Posts: 45
    Options
    I went on a cruise 3 weeks ago. I came home to the scale jumping up 14 POUNDS. 14 POUNDS!!!! I've been home now for 11 days and as of this morning im back to my prevacation weight. I didnt even know that much water weight was possible!

On Biggest Loser Jillian always says that traveling makes you retain water. At least you are back down now =]
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am still retaining water, either from the sodium and the fact since I am lifting and working out, my muscles are still repairing.
  • marygoodnight007
    Options
    Some of it it came off today :-) I lost .4 lb (I'm pretty sure it's going to be 1lb when I stop being so freaking sore) Thanks for the encouragement. I was getting frustrated.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm up 3# this week but I just joined a gym so i've really had a much more intense workout this week than normal. Drink extra water and it should clear itself out in a couple days (hopefully! my big trip to FL is next weekend!) :)
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Cut out sodium and bad carbs like white bread and white rice. Substitute with veggies. I have that problem too when I first workout. Sometimes I will take waterpills after my period or a slimming tea if its too much. But don't go overboard with it
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

On Biggest Loser Jillian always says that traveling makes you retain water. At least you are back down now =]

Good point! Totally forgot about that!