Thyroid Medication

Options
I currently take Levothyroxine.

I also currently have no insurance. So as soon as my prescription runs out, thats it, I'm on my own.

Does anyone know of any certain foods or anything that can help with thyroid issues? I'd really rather not have to take medication anyways.

Replies

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you are taking this because a doctor has tested you and you need this, I would do my best to try to keep taking it. It is a generic medication and not terribly expensive, actually probably a lot cheaper than some of the thyroid supplements.

have you actually priced it?
  • DesertxRose
    Options
    If you are taking this because a doctor has tested you and you need this, I would do my best to try to keep taking it. It is a generic medication and not terribly expensive, actually probably a lot cheaper than some of the thyroid supplements.

It is generic and cheap. The problem is my doctor won't refill it anymore until I come in to have my blood tested again. I simply can't afford to do that.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Can you go to a public clinic? Thyroid isn't anything to mess around with and you really need that medication. If you aren't wild about a public clinic, how about calling your doctor, telling him/her about your current situation and seeing if he'll help you out with the cost. When I was laid off and ran out of insurance my doctor gave me 8 months of meds in samples she had which helped until I found and job and got back on insurance. Typically they will help, you just have to ask.
  • tamtamsmom
    tamtamsmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can you go to a public clinic? Thyroid isn't anything to mess around with and you really need that medication. If you aren't wild about a public clinic, how about calling your doctor, telling him/her about your current situation and seeing if he'll help you out with the cost. When I was laid off and ran out of insurance my doctor gave me 8 months of meds in samples she had which helped until I found and job and got back on insurance. Typically they will help, you just have to ask.

You really need the meds. If I don't take my meds I am a hot mess!! I hope you can go and get help to be able to get the blook work done!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear of your situation. I am in England so don't have to pay for blood tests or thyroxine if needed. In these hard times please try to save up for a test as soon as you can manage it.

you could try supporting your own thyroxine production by eating foods rich in iodine. I can't remember a good list but I use cod, which is best and tuna. This is regarded as an "old wives tale", I turned to this because I have found myself to be highly Salicylate Sensitive. Three years ago I was told by my local NHS Allergy Clinic that I reacted to something that they did not test for, so I was on my own.

Salicylate Sensitivity is too complicated a subject to get into here.

All the best. K
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Well I use a bioidentical thyroid medicine you can get off Amazon.com it's 30 to 47 dollars with free shipping...called Thytrophin PMG
    Best thing is to save the money up to get retested thou....cheaper in the long run.
  • Kimbrlee715
    Kimbrlee715 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have to take the same meds, and it's really nothing to mess around with. I got lazy and forgot to take them for a while, and when I did take it, it was very sporadic. I was feeling depressed and very sluggish and tired allllll the time. I've started taking these again everyday and felt better within a week. Thyroid issues are life long and can't really be cured, the drugs are just to maintain a normal level of activity. I really hope you find a way to keep taking these. I don't know how the healthcare system works where you are, but I hope there is a way that your doctor can help you out. As was suggested, a clinic might be a good idea!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    If you need meds, you need meds. synthroid.com has coupons that could help with the cost.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

It is generic and cheap. The problem is my doctor won't refill it anymore until I come in to have my blood tested again. I simply can't afford to do that.
    Talk to your doctor or even the facility where you have to get your bloodwork done at. Many will offer a discounted rate or a payment plan option for you. You need to keep taking your medication!
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about your situation? I've been in similar situations, and my doctor is such a stickler for blood work, but I explained the no insurance situation and she would give me several months more.

Also, depending on which test(s), it isn't that bad priced. Around $80-100, I think, if I remember my last bill correctly. If you call your doc and get a few more months of meds, then maybe put $20 aside each month until then, so the bill won't be such a shock?
  • shimmygirl411
    shimmygirl411 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the affordability of having the blood test, and yes, the levothyroxine is quite inexpensive (as you mentioned), but I can speak to the question about a more natural approach. IF you do spend the money to get tested, you should ask about the possibility of taking Armor Thyroid. It is a natural product.....pig thyroid, in fact. I have been on it for years and am happy to not be on a synthetic.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Check out healthcheckusa.com to see if they have a location by you, as well. They offer blood tests at a discounted price. http://www.healthcheckusa.com/Thyroid-Screens-and-Panels/636/
  • soulmatesnvrdie
    Options
    Depending on your income, I'd try to sign up for medicaid so you can go to the free clinics that's what I did before I was married (luckily now for me it's free through the military). I know before I got on my synthroid I felt like death and had no energy/motivation to do anything. If you look up "thyroid blood test" they have blood test you can pay for online at about half the cost your provider would charge then just take the final results to doctor (https://thyroid-info.mymedlab.com/thyroid/thyroid-basic-panel & info/options at http://www.thyroid-info.com/tshtest.htm) that site also has info or natural remedies also if you wanted to look into that for the future but in the meantime I wouldn't mess around being off meds.
  • steinsopp
    steinsopp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not taking the medication isn't really an option, the effects of hypothyroidism (without meds) can be dangerous, and it can get worse with time if untreated. It's also necessary to get blood checks occasionally, since thyroid levels can fluctuate, even while you're on the medication. It's important to make sure you don't end up taking too much or too little hormone, both are bad. The best option would be to see if your doctor or a clinic could help.. I hope you can get something worked out. I'm assuming you're in the US, this site offers a list of low-cost clinics:
    http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf