Rest Day or No?

Options
Do you take a rest day or not? I usually do, but this past week I have been making sure that I get in something everyday...Did doubles on LesMills Combat a couple days, some singles, crunches, and last night got in a couple of miles and my crunches. I have personally found for me that if I do something everyday, I am more likely to stay on track!

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I do one set of push up and chin up (with progressively higher reps) every single day, but on my rest day I skip both the lifting and the running.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Always! I always get at least one rest day per week, more if I feel I need it, and about every 8-12 weeks I take a full week off. I always come back feeling refreshed and ready to go.
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I do active recovery days. I weight lift a lot so its important to give my body a day to heal. I still walk the dogs, stretch, and do other things, but I dont actively lift or do cardio.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I try to get one rest day a week.

I used to work out every day but I started to feel fatigued. One day rest a week is working better for me.

I also decrease my daily calorie intake for the rest day, like I do not have calories to eat back.

Good luck in your journey
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're doing vigorous exercise you should be taking at least one to two rest days per week to allow your body to recover. I have one full rest day per week on Sunday. Keep in mind that a rest day doesn't mean you don't do anything and just laze about. I'm generally active on my rest day. I do have to be careful not to overdo it on cardio days so as to not have them interfere with my recovery from lifting and ruining all the hard work I put in on my lift days.

Rest is where the magic happens. I also take a full rest week every 6 weeks or so where I will do no more than body weight exercises (no heavy lifting) and light cardio (walking/light jogging).
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If you're doing vigorous exercise you should be taking at least one to two rest days per week to allow your body to recover. I have one full rest day per week on Sunday. Keep in mind that a rest day doesn't mean you don't do anything and just laze about. I'm generally active on my rest day. I do have to be careful not to overdo it on cardio days so as to not have them interfere with my recovery from lifting and ruining all the hard work I put in on my lift days.

Rest is where the magic happens. I also take a full rest week every 6 weeks or so where I will do no more than body weight exercises (no heavy lifting) and light cardio (walking/light jogging).

I usually do active recovery too, this week has been a little messed up. I love going for walks, a hike, or a bike ride....
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I usually only workout 4-5x/week. On the off days I just keep close eye on my cals.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I always walk on my rest day.
  • jujunnaichi
    jujunnaichi Posts: 86
    Options
    Always! I always get at least one rest day per week, more if I feel I need it, and about every 8-12 weeks I take a full week off. I always come back feeling refreshed and ready to go.

This!!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I weight train 3x a week and rest on the other 4. And I occassionally take an entire week off from training (but run for fun). The information I have suggests this is the best method when weight training (NROLFW)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

this is the same approach I have. I pretty much take the weekends off from any lifting or cardio. Too much other stuff going on to worry about it. The full week of nothing every 2-3 months is really beneficial, it lets all the dings heal up and refresh you for another run.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    No rest day for me. I do something every day. Typically I do yoga every day and then either power walk or strength training as well. If my body is truly tired I'll just do some yoga, but I at least do that every day.
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love rest days! They are invaluable to me. I take a couple days off during the week.
  • Tiffyholli
    Tiffyholli Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take Saturdays off
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    nope-
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Turbo Fire by the schedule as my main workout and I take the rest day on the calendar off from that (except I take Friday rather than Wed). But I still do my office workouts, where I do low impact aerobics or calisthenics in my office on breaks/lunch, on Fridays. And sometimes we might hike or bike after work if the weather is nice.

I see the need to rest certain muscle groups that have been stressed, but I don't believe our bodies need a couch potato day.
  • REDROBE_69
    REDROBE_69 Posts: 48
    Options
    Yes! Rest days are very important. I workout 5 days a week, and I take Wednesday and Friday off.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your body needs recovery time, especially if you're really pushing yourself during your workouts.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When I started, I didn't. Now almost three months in, my body demands them once or twice a week. I've been trying to figure out why this is - yes, I'm working harder, longer, faster, etc. but I also have a base. Seems that when I was just starting out, the unused muscles should have been every bit as fatigued?