2 month plateau, in need of encouragement

Options
Hi guys,

for the past two months I've been stuck at 130 lbs. I'm an 18 yr old girl, I'm 5'6'', and i eat 1500 cals a day. the past week I've tried upping my protein and lowering my carbs, but no weight loss yet.

do any of you have any advice on how to stay motivated? I've been feeling SO depressed about this. I just feel like a failure, and it hurts putting on all this effort and not seeing any results from it.

Replies

• darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Well I'm stuck at 143, so you're doing better than I am! ;^)

Go lift some weights. Makes me feel better, anyway. ;^)
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The same thing has happened to me but I only have about 7 pounds to go and stuck at the same weight for 2 months.

Try eating a couple hundred extra calories a day. At 1500 you are barely eating at your bmr and any exercise will reduce that.

Also, at 130 pounds, weight loss will be less than someone heavier.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting? Any looser? Are you also taking measurements?

I spent about 6 months last year at the same weight, but during that time lost inches and fat, and dropped a full size. The scale doesn't always tell ya the whole story - grab that measuring tape and check progress that way every few weeks. Hang in there!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

for the past two months I've been stuck at 130 lbs. I'm an 18 yr old girl, I'm 5'6'', and i eat 1500 cals a day. the past week I've tried upping my protein and lowering my carbs, but no weight loss yet.

do any of you have any advice on how to stay motivated? I've been feeling SO depressed about this. I just feel like a failure, and it hurts putting on all this effort and not seeing any results from it.
    What exercising program are you doing? Are you sleeping well? Your goal at this point may only be .25lbs a week loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cbkb1234
    cbkb1234 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also had plateaued for about 1 month and a half I was devastated, now my weight is finally back to losing and I'm not sure why ... some things I made sure to do though was drink at least 8 cups of water a day and eat clean but also ate things I wanted like popcorn,cupcakes, etc and idk its started to go back down... I stopped weight training for now, but ill start back up after I lose ten more lbs or 5 . I definitely think I was eating too low... I ate a lot but then ended up working out a lot then having a huge deficit and now I've tried to eat more so it wont be as huge! lol
  • csearcher34
    csearcher34 Posts: 78
    Options
    Currently I've been doing about 5 miles of walking everyday and jillian michaels banish fat boost metabolism workout twice a week.
    My sleep and stress levels have been pretty terrible as I'm taking 18 units in college and I also work part-time. It doesn't help that finals are coming up in the next few weeks either.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I plateau for 2 months. It was sooooo frustrating. I think sometimes its just a matter of waiting it out. My doctor explained that even thought things are not happening on the scale at the moment it doesn't mean that your health is not improving. Keeping the focus on my over all health is what ot me through it. During that time I just kept doing my thing and also made an effort to GET ENOUGH SLEEP, DRINK MORE WATER, MANAGE THE STRESS IN MY LIFE, KEEPING BLOOD SUGARS BALANCED. All of these things helped break it.
  • csearcher34
    csearcher34 Posts: 78
    Options
    Hi MCLA4mom,

do you think that lack of sleep and stress could be what's causing my plateau right now? I feel like I'm doing everything else right.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Stress and lack of sleep can be a factor, yes.

But you are already at what is considered a healthy weight for your height. Maybe you should look into body recomposition, rather than the scale for the time being. IE - read up on how to reduce your body fat %.
  • Cgar18
    Options
    Ive been stuck at 245 for 2 months I dont know what it is Ive been lifting more weight so maybe its muscle not sure
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My question is ...... at 130 lbs and 5'6....why do you feel the need to lose more?
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't see 130 as a bad weight for 5'6" personally but I also don't know what your goals are and how much muscle you have or desire. I would get my BF% tested and go from there. Scales suck and we tend to get fixated on a number.
  • clprueher
    Options
    It may not seem logical, but if you up your caloric intake for one day by 200 calories or so, it tricks your body into releasing fat. Boxers do this when they are trying to make their weight for a match. I would also recommend that you try to eliminate all white flour (you are probably already doing this), and any starchy vegetables (like beans, potatoes, carrots, etc.). The veggies that really help you to burn fat are the cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, and asparagus -- you can find more examples on the web). Choose veggies over fruits, and don't drink your fruits -- eat them. Just remember that it is all about making healthy choices, and as long as you are doing that, you are being successful! And of course, drinks lots of water....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I looked through your diary and I wonder if you are logging consistently on some days. I notice you eat over on quite a few days, but seem to eat way under your calorie goals on other days. I also suspect some of your exercise calories may be overestimated, especially the running. Where do you get your exercise calorie estimations from?

According to your ticker you wanted to lose 11 pounds but have lost 12 pounds. 130 at 5 ft. 6 sounds like an appropriate weight. Your profile says you want to reach 120 pounds. Why are you trying to lose more?

I wonder if you are simply eating more than you think you are.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It may not seem logical, but if you up your caloric intake for one day by 200 calories or so, it tricks your body into releasing fat. Boxers do this when they are trying to make their weight for a match. I would also recommend that you try to eliminate all white flour (you are probably already doing this), and any starchy vegetables (like beans, potatoes, carrots, etc.). The veggies that really help you to burn fat are the cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, and asparagus -- you can find more examples on the web). Choose veggies over fruits, and don't drink your fruits -- eat them. Just remember that it is all about making healthy choices, and as long as you are doing that, you are being successful! And of course, drinks lots of water....

Increasing calories is not the the correct answer for someone who is not losing weight or who is gaining. 99.9 % chance is that the OP is simply eating more than she thinks she is. It happens to all of us.

Also, no foods a person normally eats have to be eliminated. Losing weight is all about eating at a calorie deficit. Moderation is the key. :smile:
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    Bump, just about in the same situation. I am 19 and 5'4 at 130 pounds. Been on a plateau for 3 months and net around 1400 calories. I wouldn't worry about it too much until your college exams are finished, you have enough to deal with already! Good luck.