Everything right but still can't break that plateau!

Options
Hi all,

I have started intense daily gym and cut down calories to 1200 a day. Started in march with the objective to reach target weight in end of June. I've seen significant results, dropped a safe pound a week, from 211 to 199. I'm trying to reach 180-185.

I've used myfitnesspal everyday, along with other weight tracker and JEfit. I'm doing 70 min of interval cardio, along with rotational weightlifting. In the past 3 months I reached a 3-4 days plateau every now and then but looking at the chart it looks like it's a pattern. But now, I haven't dropped a single pound in the last 10 days or so. It's freaking me out because I actually pumped up the intensity of the intervals and the diet got way leaner with lots of veggies and fruits. My love handles seem to be pretty stubborn but I'm losing motivation. I'm drinking lots of water as well.

What should I do? I've read about intermittent fasting. Do you recommend that? Is it true that at this point it's really what you eat rather than the gym? My body fat is still a high 23%.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd bet that it's water weight from your increased intensity in exercise. A lot of people think this is muscle gain but it's practically impossible to gain muscle when at a calorie deficit. When you increase the intensity of your exercises, especially when it makes you sore, what has happened is that you've caused damage to your muscle tissues and in response, those tissues retain water and glycogen as part of the natural healing process. Think of it like when you sprain an ankle and it swells - same basic reaction, just spread over a larger area so it's not as visible. Thus, a temporary gain/stall on the scale.

Keep drinking plenty of water, make sure you're fueling your body properly and I bet you'll see a drop in another week or so once your body acclimates to the new schedule.

Here's another good example for you. Last weekend I was 4 wheeling with Hubs and I fell and did a number on my right hip, side and arm. I was up about 3 pounds all week while my body healed. This morning I started finally seeing a drop on the scale and at the same time I'm much less sore/stiff now. It's not all about what you eat and drink. The body needs to do what it needs to do.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have started intense daily gym and cut down calories to 1200 a day. Started in march with the objective to reach target weight in end of June. I've seen significant results, dropped a safe pound a week, from 211 to 199. I'm trying to reach 180-185.

I've used myfitnesspal everyday, along with other weight tracker and JEfit. I'm doing 70 min of interval cardio, along with rotational weightlifting. In the past 3 months I reached a 3-4 days plateau every now and then but looking at the chart it looks like it's a pattern. But now, I haven't dropped a single pound in the last 10 days or so. It's freaking me out because I actually pumped up the intensity of the intervals and the diet got way leaner with lots of veggies and fruits. My love handles seem to be pretty stubborn but I'm losing motivation. I'm drinking lots of water as well.

What should I do? I've read about intermittent fasting. Do you recommend that? Is it true that at this point it's really what you eat rather than the gym? My body fat is still a high 23%.

Please let me know.

Thanks

A few things..

1) Why did you put your calories @ 1200? Do you eat back your exercise calories?
    2) As you get closer to your goal weight will come off slower. You didn't gain all that weight in a few months and to lose it safely you need to be patient. I have had a month go by with no weight loss and I have been at this for over a year
    3) Have you done your measurements? Sometimes those are a better indication that the scale.

I have never tried intermittent fasting but another way might be to calculate your TDEE and eat to that. I have a feeling your 1200 calorie diet is too low (without seeing your diary however I can't say for sure.)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Sure, it coud be water retnetion...but more likely you are not eating enough.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Please let me know.

Thanks
    It's not a plateau since a plateau is defined as 6 weeks or more with not weight movement while being consistent. You're in a stall and it's not uncommon. Don't change anything. Just keep at it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cbkb1234
    cbkb1234 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You raised your activity level and lowered your food? I had also done this but unintentionally and it caused me to plateau , I've now started eating more and boom! weight loss again

Calories are the body's energy currency. Calories are used to create energy and keep the body's ability to do regular activities. The calories unused in the day are converted to fat, which is why most people try to avoid too many calories. But calories are essential for daily energy.
  • marielyd
    marielyd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same thing was happening to me for about three weeks, I increased my calories to 1400 and increased my cardio intensity/strenght. If i do the elliptical I increase the intensity to 55 or higher and incline to 10, and broke the plateau dropping from 196 to 191 in about 3 days. Try it!! Also, drink a gallon of water per/day. I am a female 5"7 27 years old and my start weight was 213 I had lost a few pounds before starting MFP, and I am currently at 189lbs lost 2 pounds this week.

P.S. the stair master is a fat melter. :o)

41047031.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Malvernehomes
    Options
    Hello
    These posts are great teaching g tools. What does it mean to. It eat enough? I thought calories In and calories out =weight loss I honestly after 3 weeks figured out how to eat 1290 calories it was very hard to do. To figure out what menu = that many calories. Because MVP kept recording at least 400 calories under my goal.
  • Malvernehomes
    Options
    I just can't understand that the poster is burning more than she takes in yet under eating can interfere with her goal. Goodness that's a lot of exercise !
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    10 days is not a plateau.

Also, EAT MORE FOOD.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    oh.. nevermind previous statement. I see now you're a guy. :)