Any tips for dealing with cravings in the beginning

Options
Ok, I've started (and stopped) like a thousand attempts at dieting. I do great the first day or two and then major craving kicks in. Yesterday I ate great all day and then when it was almost dinner time, I ate a half a bag of chips and had 2 large glasses of ice cold WHOLE milk (my favorite). I ended up going over 1000 extra calories for the day because I gave in to my craving. How does anyone on MFP deal with cravings and can anyone give any good tips for saying no to the snack foods? If I can just make it through a week, I'll be doing ok.

Replies

• _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Maybe try putting apicture of someone with a figure you would like to have on your fridge. Maybe it will help as a reminder. Also get rid of all the foods that you know you shouldn't eat.
  • wisefish
    wisefish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I went to a nutritionist and he had me take L-Glutamine after breakfast and dinner (1000 mgs each) to help with sugar cravings. It really helps. Also I drink Hibiscus tea and it's sort of sweet so that helps too. Good luck!
  • wisefish
    wisefish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    And I agree with above poster- get rid of trigger foods! Baby carrots with seasoned salt on them are a good salty, crunchy substitute too.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Pre log your food. A lot of time when you see the caloric impact it lessens the craving, or at least the amount that you eat. Eat/drink slowly so your body has time to recognize if it's full. So in your case, drink 1 glass of milk, then make yourself wait 20 mins and re-evalutate your hunger. When you go over in calories look and see which food caused you to go over, and think about how you could satisfy that craving with less calories. For example, instead of chips try a light popcorn sprinkled with parmesan cheese and oregano or veggies and hummus.
  • PartyKardy
    PartyKardy Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat several times during the day in smaller portions because I never really get that "IM SO HUNGRY" feeling that way. It really helps me to resist because if I feel like I'm starving then I usually want to eat something unhealthy.

I would also say maybe you could eat things that give you the same feeling with less calories. Like if you love chocolate you could eat puddings or special K bars or whatever that has chocolate taste without as many calories as a hershey bar or something.

Godspeed my friend, in the beginning its hard but it gets better :)
  • ElizaJay143
    ElizaJay143 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Don't let the cravings get that bad. If you're craving whole milk, have 6oz. It may not be the healthiest choice, and it may even put you over your calories for the day, but better to be 100 calories over and have a satisfied feeling at the end of the day than to feel deprived and binge by 1,000 a few days later.

As for the chips & other snack foods, take is slow-- you didn't get overweight overnight, you're not going to get fit again that way either. If you plan for it, you can eat it. Pre-track your food and realize that it takes time to adjust to a new goal.

I recommend tracking your NORMAL eating habits for a few days and see where your calories fall, then-- once you know what is your current standard, lower it by 200 every 3rd day (example below) until you're at your goal. And again, FORGIVE YOURSELF for when you don't meet your goals, this is a marathon, not a sprint!

Example: Say your goal is 1,500 per day, and you're currently eating 2,000. In 10 days you'll be at your goal without a major shock to your body.
    Day 1-3: 2,000
    Day 4-6: 1,800
    Day 7-9: 1,600
    Day 10: 1,500
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I indulge my cravings from time to time but try to keep it within my calorie budget and I'm usually successful. If I want something chocolaty and don't have enough for ice cream, then I'll have an oreo or two, or a couple squares of dark chocolate. I do stay away from trigger foods where I know that I can't eat just a serving - Krispy Kreme donuts are one of my major ones. I measure out my serving and then eat. This'll keep me from eating a whole bag or box of whatever.
  • jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!