HIIT Training and Sore Ankles

Options
Amandac6772
Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
I've done several rounds of Turbo Fire that incorporates HIIT training and a lot of plyometrics. It never fails my ankles get so sore and stay sore until after I take a week or two break from it. I'll try again and then they get sore again. I've tried powering through it but they never get any better. I have bought new shoes and ankle braces. I love HIIT training because I get the best results when I workout like that and I love Turbo Fire and don't want to give it up. I'm thinking of either seeing a podiatrist or an orthopedic doctor to see what else can be done. Just checking with everyone to see if they have any ideas?? I'm to the point if the doctors don't give any help that I think I have to give it up and go back to the dreadmill or purchase an elliptical (not really in the budget). I'm frustrated from hurting all the time.

Replies

• larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    just an idea, try high top tennis shoes, like basketball shoes. they are made for ankle resistant sports. it may help! sorry it is bothering you so much, its got to be a pain.
  • Amandac6772
    Options
    just an idea, try high top tennis shoes, like basketball shoes. they are made for ankle resistant sports. it may help! sorry it is bothering you so much, its got to be a pain.

Ya know. I thought about that. I'm going to look for some when I'm out and about this weekend.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Before you make a huge investment, it might be worth going to a specialty shoe store and explaining your problem. I have high arches, and if I don't have proper metatarsal and arch support my ankles start aching a lot. (The pain is on the inside of the ankle.) I have some inserts for my shoes that haven't solved the problem completely, but have made a big difference. Though if you have access to a podiatrist, they could probably help you even more.
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    I have a couple of suggestions because I have been through this and it is frustrating!

1) Just back off until it is fully healed. If your body is hurting it is trying to tell you something and working though the pain is not going to help your weight loss in the end if you can't even walk.

2) If you are insisting on continuing with a lot of jumping/plyo then maybe look into cross trainers instead of running or walking shoes. I have found they provide a little bit more support for the ankles.

3) Make sure you are properly warmed up before doing this.

4) And either reduce the frequency and/or modify so you aren't putting so much stress on your ankles.

Good luck!
  • Amandac6772
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I do love the program and don't want to give it up.
  • mbubilo
    mbubilo Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem with my left ankle. I am going to physical therapy but I am just dying to go back to doing HIIT workouts. (Actually I was supposed to start insanity right before my ankle started giving me a problem.) Thanks for these suggestions. One of the PTs recommended I go to a specialty shoe store too.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hope your ankles feel better soon. Maybe I should look into getting different shoes too. That's good to know because I'm getting Turbo Fire tomorrow. I can't wait!