Ok,,,sobriety

Options
Ok, so, I have been working on sobriety. It will be 5 months in 2 weeks. Anyways, I have a weekend at the lake with some co-workers this weekend. First big outing I will have attended since starting. I found some low-cal beers, and some low-cal options w alcohol, but am also debating Non-Alcoholic brews. Any thoughts? Whatever works, lemme know what you think.

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    white wine, or vodka sodas :)
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Why is it that you've been looking into sobriety? I mean, it may seem as though I'm nosy, but is the sobriety purely for weight loss or is it for another purpose?

I think that would significantly impact the choices of this weekend.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Don't ruin the 5 mo. Go non-alcoholic. It's fun to mess w/ drunk people. Specially their iphones. Go sober!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I agree-go sober! There is no real benefit to drinking. It is purly empty calories. Plus, why ruin a good thing and risk the guilt. I would stick to water-you can drink it is a martini glass with some lemon or something fun so you are not a "party pooper"! Good luck! Be strong!
  • Shannonk507
    Shannonk507 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    LOL -- awesome suggestion! LOL As for reason, did get out of hand -- but I have changed a lot in 5 mos.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If you are working sobriety, go non alcohol!!!!! I am coming up on 4 years in October, one day at a time and no drugs at all including alcohol, nothing is worth giving that up over. have a great time and hang in there, sober is great!!!
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I say splurge and drink...Diet Coke! :) NO water this weekend...just good old Diet Coke...trust me you'll feel better about not wasting the cals, and staying sober (and you'll be heading in to 6 months sober soon :) ) Keep up the good work. :) (and I agree with everyone else, it can be hella fun to mess with drunk people so you'll get to have a lot of fun this weekend playing tricks on them!)
  • Spatrowich
    Options
    Alcohol does nothing for your diet as someone said earlier, empty calories. My bigger concern would be, if you are trying to be sober and going on 5 months, should you really be going to the weekend get a way if you are still considering drinking at all. I could see if you were far enough into sobriety that you could honestly say you have no intention or urge to drink, i say sure have fun. But the fact you are consideing it and trying to think of the best way to rationalize it, you may want to stop and think about this. But I don't know you, and it's just my opinion.
    Good luck
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    All good advice...but, I find drunk people are annoying when your not along for the ride
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Don't ruin the 5 mo. Go non-alcoholic. It's fun to mess w/ drunk people. Specially their iphones. Go sober!

I totally agree. I was going for quite a few months without any alcohol. I went to superbowl/Poker party, and up to trailer park/birthday parties. Everyone else having beer/wine etc, and I had my 1L water bottle and kept filling it up.

You start thinking, "why do I need alcohol?". Just because there's a party and other people are drinking. What's wrong with socializing without alcohol. Go Sober!
  • Shannonk507
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. :)
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    I would stick to water-you can drink it is a martini glass with some lemon or something fun so you are not a "party pooper"!

This! Get yourself one of those little drink umbrellas too!
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't drink, but don't get me wrong I have others issues with empty calorie drinks......non-fat mochas!!! They are my downfall!! What about soda water with lemon or lime? check the sodium first!! Looks like you have a drink, but don't!!! Wine would also be a good option.
  • robstot
    robstot Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    go non alcohol, It messes you up with your calorie intake and quite often you will eat more than you nomrally do. I would look at club soda and take some limes. consider it a challenge and first test and congratulate yourself when you pass.

good luck and have fun
  • sheltieroger
    sheltieroger Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    congrats on 5 months of sobriety....I would go buy some of the lower calorie, fancy drinks (fizzy waters with fun flavours) that you wouldn't normally buy because they are more money than plain water. That way you feel like you have something special but can stay true to being sober (alcohol free is the way to be!! :smile: )
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    I just returned from a week away with just my husband. Under normal circumstances I have MAYBE one or two drinks a month, but over the last few days I have had, let's just say, a bit more. And why? I admit I enjoy an occasionnal beer, but drinking just to be social really isn't my bag anymore. And I realize now more than ever that I don't enjoy being around drunk people, unless I'm one of them, and I don't enjoy being one of them anymore - how many times have I made an *kitten* out of myself and regretted it later . . . too many.

Not to mention that I put on 5 pounds over the last few days . . . either because of the liquor or because of the influence the liquor had on my eating . . .

People who know me from my single days would certainly call me a hypocrite - I used to be a full out binge drinker.

I vote go dry. Or have one drink.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    if you've been sobor for over 5 months, non alcoholic all the way

I wish I had your will power, booze is a huge huge roadblock for me, I dont get drunk, but can't resist a good ol pinot gris!
  • sgcorrie
    sgcorrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I suggest a virgin mojito! A little bit of sugar with mint and club soda make plain ole water extra special :-)
  • Shannonk507
    Options
    Oooh a virgin mojito sounds good! Thanks @ 5 months. I promised hubby this morning (after posting) that I would not give up my sobriety, so 1 or 2, then fun stuff -- that some of you have suggested. Thanks!
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    Okay - do the virgin mojito but use your STEVIA!!!