Monitors

Options
Hi ya'll,

So I'm being brave and I'm starting to venture off the elliptical to find exercise. I've always just used the calorie count provided by the machine to log my burn for the day (even though it's apparently not all that accurate...) but now that I'm onto bigger and better things, I'm looking for a new way to track my calorie burn. What tools are out there? And what are the ones you like the best?

Thanks!

Replies

• Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi ya'll,

So I'm being brave and I'm starting to venture off the elliptical to find exercise. I've always just used the calorie count provided by the machine to log my burn for the day (even though it's apparently not all that accurate...) but now that I'm onto bigger and better things, I'm looking for a new way to track my calorie burn. What tools are out there? And what are the ones you like the best?

Thanks!

In my opinion a Heart rate monitor with a strap is the way to go...You can program in your age, and weight, it is fairly accurate. I wear mine every time I work out and even when I am on a good focused walk. Wish I had gotten one sooner.
  • crazebeck
    crazebeck Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT4 heart rate monitor watch, it comes with a chest strap, and I must say I already LOVE it! It calculates calories burned based on your heart rate and other information you input in the settings. It lets you know what range your heart rate should be at and lets you see real time calories burned and heart rate. I selected this model after months of research, I wanted something under $100.00 and this one really fit the bill for me :)
  • kgillis87
    kgillis87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys :) I'm def going to check out that FT4!
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT4 heart rate monitor watch, it comes with a chest strap, and I must say I already LOVE it! It calculates calories burned based on your heart rate and other information you input in the settings. It lets you know what range your heart rate should be at and lets you see real time calories burned and heart rate. I selected this model after months of research, I wanted something under $100.00 and this one really fit the bill for me :)
    That is the same one I use! LOVE it!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and it is fantastic. I went through a few and it is by far the best one and the one I feel is more accurate.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • KKWilson
    KKWilson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 with the strap, similar to the FT4, and I love it too. I purchased it off Amazon for about $75. Completely worth the money!
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I've got the same one. I loooove it also! =) I've had it close to a year now..
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I've had my FT4 since early February and really like it.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I think you will be more happy with the FT7. You can change the batteries in an FT7. You have to send an FT4 in to get the batteries changed.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When I use my NordicTrack 990 Elliptical for 60 minutes with my FT7 HRM the NT990 will read my HRM on the screen during the workouts.

60 Minute Results Are……………

Elliptical 1050+/- calories burned

MFP 850+/- calories burned

Polar FT7 660+/- calories burned

I use my HRM calories
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I think you will be more happy with the FT7. You can change the batteries in an FT7. You have to send an FT4 in to get the batteries changed.

This is actually not true. I can change the battery on mine.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor is the best. I've had my Polar FT4 for about a year and its great, I recommend it!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    My workout is 65 minutes on the elliptical. 10 minute warmup, then targetting a heart rate of 140 with 20 second sprints whenever my heart rate is too low, five minutes cool down. Calories burned for my weight:

MFP database: 926
    Elliptical machine: 780
    Polar FT4: 530

I use the number the HRM gives.