Options
ken_hogan
ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
I was wondering how many 5K's people run in a year? I'm both excited and nervous for one I signed up for yesterday, but I was just curious how often others run races/fun runs??

Replies

• HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm interested in this too. My first 5k isn't until June, but now that I am finally able to run 5k, all I want to do is enter 5k races! LOL! But, would like to know what frequency others race.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I have.... 3/4 Left. I also have a 10K, an 8K, Tough Mudder and a 25K bike race.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have.... 3/4 Left. I also have a 10K, an 8K, Tough Mudder and a 25K bike race.

I never heard of the Tough Mudders until recent when I was looking for 5K races...maybe next year for one of those!!
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Nothing booked at the moment but some of my running buddies run them every weekend.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    So far this year I have done 3 5ks, a Warrior run 5k, and a 3.5mile trail run. Coming up, I will be doing the Chase Corporate challenge, and my first sprint triathlon this summer, plus another mud run in September!
  • misanthropist319
    Options
    I just ran my first 5K last weekend. I enjoyed it and plan on running more. I didn't train much, I ran about five times in the two weeks leading up to my race. My last "practice" run was 3.3 miles, so I knew that when it came time for the actual race I wouldn't have a problem because I had already run longer than the race. I was nerous about getting into running so much because I have broken my left foot TWICE, with the most recent time being January 2012. I'm trying to focus on strengthening my foot so that it aches less and allows me to be as active as I once was.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I run 3 a week on my treadmill. Does that count? The only organized one I was signed up for this year was canceled due to inclement weather. Still got my t-shirt though.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Last year I averaged a race every other month. This year I'm going for once a month (5K-10K distances). I would like to do them more frequently but the registration fees add up!
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I run an aggressive amount of races - mostly because I like the atmosphere....I'm in FLA so basically it's 5K season now thru October....seriously, I think I ran ~ 30 races last year and I'll probably do about the same this year (along with several Half Marathons, a marathon, a bunch of mudruns and some 10K, 15Ks....) Yeah, I spend a lot of money on race entries...but I think like to think that's $$ I'm not spending at the bar the night before :-)

Good luck on your 5K!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i try to get in 1 race per month - whether it's a 5k or up to a half. right now i've done the following:

January - 0
    February - 0
    March - 0
    too cold these months

April - 5k and 10k
    May - 5k
    June - half marathon and 5.5 miles
    July - 5k
    August - too hot
    September - 5k and half marathon
    October - 10k
    November - 5k
    December 5k and 8k

I may add in a couple more depending upon schedule/cost

edited to add: most of my 5ks are rugged maniac (mud races). in september i'm doing warrior dash.
  • mistyme
    mistyme Posts: 26
    Options
    I usually run in 2 or 3 races a year because they're fun to participate in... And I like the shirts :laugh: . 5K (Warrior Dash), 8K, 10K, and Quarter are races I've done. This year I did one 8K for fun but I'd like to do a half marathon this year as well. I run 5 miles 3 times a week though as part of my regular workout routine.

Have fun on your 5K! You're going to have a blast!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I mix it up a little, 5K, 10K, Warrior Dash, etc. During the winter I focus more on my weight training because of the weather/temps. But having something to "shoot for" every few months helps keep me motivated.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have ran 2 this year so far, but my husband and I are "in training" for a 1/2 marathon. We will be running races in stages. I ran a 5k on May 11, we are running a 10k in July, a 10-miler in September, and a 1/2 marathon in October.

Good luck on your races!! :drinker:
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many 5K's people run in a year? I'm both excited and nervous for one I signed up for yesterday, but I was just curious how often others run races/fun runs??

you are going to LOVE your 5k. they are so much fun. everyone is great and supportive. when the crowd cheers you on it really gets you pumped! races are addictive. :)