Your Running History

Options
dsjohndrow
dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
It took me a year to complete C25K. I was 53-years-old. Since then, I have run about a dozen 5Ks, 4 10Ks and a 1/2 marathon. I have had some good advice from a couple of runners on here. I was never a runner before - doubt I ever did more than a mile at any one time. I have no idea what I can achieve given my age and history. I do know that I have knocked 4 minutes off my 5K in a year's time, and 6 minutes off my 10K time.

So, I am curious, what's your running history? How long have you been at it, where did you start? How long do you think it takes to achieve your potential? Have your times gotten better?

I know it's not about time, or even distance; I just like to make realistic goals. My current goal is to finish a marathon and beat Oprah's time of 4:29:15.

Replies

• BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I started trying to run back in Jan/Feb 2011. Ran my first mile on 4/11/2011. That was the first mile I'd run non-stop in my entire life and I was almost 39 years old.

I ran my first 5K in August 2011, time was in the 38 minute range. 7 months later I ran another 5K, but 11 minutes faster. Then in October 2012 I ran my 5K PR of 23:21.

I did my first 10K about a month ago.

I just ran 10 miles for the first time yesterday, and am planning on a 10 mile race in June.

I've been concentrating on upping my distance lately, so I haven't been doing much speed work.

I plan to run a half marathon sometime this fall, don't know if I will go for a full marathon or not.

At this point I've been running for a little over 2 years, and I'm still improving at this point. I think I've still got a good amount of room for improvement on both speed and distance and plan to keep working on them for years to come.
  • OldManOfTheSea
    OldManOfTheSea Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I can now walk nearly 3 miles without getting too winded. These vitamins I'm taking and these Sketchers shape up shoes really help me feel better.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I started running about 4 years ago, mostly as a way to stay in shape through the winter when I couldn't be riding. It took me a full winter (or there abouts) to get to where I could sustain a good rhythm with my cadence and my breathing so I didn't have to stop and wheeze every 100 feet. It was at that point that I actually started to enjoy running, and that I started to make noticeable improvement. Not long after that I realized that I was a decent running and a good biker and decided hell, I should do a triathlon. Once I started racing I got more serious about my running (since it was my weakest leg), and have steadily improved since.

I did a lot of lifting last winter and that has really paid off in my running this year. I've completed 2 half marathons (no interest in doing anything further than that), several 10+ training runs, and a half ironman last year. This year I have another half ironman and a 100mile tri that has a 15mile run leg.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I started C25K May 2012 - took the 8 weeks to finish... only started running because i couldn't figure out getting to the gym before work and was getting sick of the Jillian Michaels DVDs...

ran my first 5k August 2012 - came in 3rd in my age group; ran my 2nd 5k in September 2012 - came in 3rd in my age group; planned my first 10k for November 2012 - but i broke my ankle...

so, skipped the 10k - did my first half-marathon February 2013, and then just finished another 5k last weekend.

this running thing is getting a lot more fun :D

plans for this summer: 5 mile obstacle run (Hero Rush) in June, 10k in August, half-marathon in September, half-marathon in October, and then 10k in November (might be a couple more 5ks in there, but i haven't registered for them yet).

methinks C25k is going to end up identified as a gateway drug one of these days... :drinker:
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    The fact that your goal revolves around beating Oprah, , , is well, , , , just sad. TURN IN YOUR MAN CARD!!! :wink: :laugh: :laugh:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Didn't really start running until I was 22 I tried track in high school but hated it and didn't do much lol My mom helped me get started she took me to races and helped me get better and better I moved off to Alaska and stalled. I didn't run again for 2 1/2 years then after a 70 pound weight gain got myself back to it. I am doing Zombies, run! I have not done another 5k yet but I plan on it soon moving to Hawaii in a month bet they have a lot of 5ks there :)
  • meeper123
    Options
    The fact that your goal revolves around beating Oprah, , , is well, , , , just sad. TURN IN YOUR MAN CARD!!! :wink: :laugh: :laugh:

and whats your time :)
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Hi, I started at the age of 43 on the C25K programme and completed a couple of 10K's the same year.

I then moved up to the half marathon within a couple of years and a couple of adventure runs off road of about 15 miles a piece.

I did my first marathon a year later and two more the following year.

Decided to concentrate on the half marathon distance as I recovered far more quicky from them than the marathon.

I then started working with a coach to improve on my times, which I did at the age of 49. I did personal bests at 5, mile, 10K and hafl marathon distances by the age of 50.

However, the competitive side of my running finished shortly after following an ongoing problem I was having with my back which was made worse by the intensity and speedwork in my training.

In hindsight, I should have worked harder on my core to protect my back but I don't regret doing all the races that I did and I can still run nearly everyday day, albeit not so far and at a steadier pace.

Please do remember that our bodies need longer to recover as we get older, stretch plenty, warm up well and go and enjoy yourself!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I started doing C25K in March, but I had to take a break for four weeks after I hurt my knee at the end of that month. A couple of days ago I ran my first 3K, albeit on the treadmill. I plan to reach 5K for the first time in my life by the end of next week.

Lessons learned so far:
    - Running through soreness and fatigue is ok, running through pain is not advisable, unless there's something huge at stake. I screwed my knee by refusing to listen to the pain it generated.
    - When I screw up a joint I better let it rest completely, or it will take longer to heal. At week 2 I pushed it too much again, forcing me to take another two weeks to recover.
    - Having the proper pair of shoes makes all the difference in the world. Part of my knee problem was caused by my picking the wrong shoes. Once I got the right type, the knee problem went away.
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    If I don't beat her, I will have to tun in my man card!
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    I started doing C25K in March, but I had to take a break for four weeks after I hurt my knee at the end of that month. A couple of days ago I ran my first 3K, albeit on the treadmill. I plan to reach 5K for the first time in my life by the end of next week.

Lessons learned so far:
    - Running through soreness and fatigue is ok, running through pain is not advisable, unless there's something huge at stake. I screwed my knee by refusing to listen to the pain it generated.
    - When I screw up a joint I better let it rest completely, or it will take longer to heal. At week 2 I pushed it too much again, forcing me to take another two weeks to recover.
    - Having the proper pair of shoes makes all the difference in the world. Part of my knee problem was caused by my picking the wrong shoes. Once I got the right type, the knee problem went away.

First rule of running, get running shoes fitted at a running store! Good reminder.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for a few years. Got sick last year and kept fighting to get myself back. I never gave up, but I lost a lot of strength. I couldn't lift for 6 months out of 12 (not consecutive months). I was a speed walker for many year,s and this spring I decided I wanted to fly. I started running last month, and I love it! It's got me feeling alive again. I'm hooked.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Lessons learned so far:

First rule of running, get running shoes fitted at a running store! Good reminder.

When I was in high school I used to actually run barefoot, so when I first picked running shoes to do it again, I thought any old pair would do. Man was I wrong! At 38 I'm no spring chicken anymore, so my knees are more delicate.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I come from the school of Go Big, Or Go Home...

In 2008, I took the family to Disney World. We were at the Hoopdy Do Review and I was picked out of a crowd to participate in their dinner theater. I was picked based on my "Wisdom" a very thinly veiled and humiliating reference to the fact that I was 325 pounds. I have never been more mortified in my life. Oh sure, I knew I was fat... but to have it showcased in front of 300 people... well I left the stage ready to die.

Since that night I committed myself to lose the weight and took up running. I had heard that your legs offer the largest fat burning engine in your body. I made use of my quads, my hamstrings, and my calves. After losing 40 pounds, I found I needed to keep my motivation up and signed up for Team Diabetes which is a fundraising campaign for the Canadian Diabetes Association.

11 months after the Hoopdy Do Review incident... with some very hard work, a few injuries, many aches and pains, and most notably people telling me I couldn't do it, I completed the 2009 Honolulu Marathon. It took me 7 hours and I ended up walking a large part of it. But my response now to anyone who says you can't do something is that you tell yourself "Hell Yeah you can!" You just need to believe it. My weight since then has fluctuated never more than 20 lbs... and I've kept running. I am not fast. I will never win any races... but today I am 217 pounds... and I will win my race when I someday reach 200.

Running is my road to salvation. Without it, I just wouldn't be, me.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

3:19 and I'm glad I finally beat Apolo Ohno's time
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Started at age 30. 38 now. Numerous 5k's. Three half marathons. Last one was three weeks ago. Two trail half marathons. I used to average about 30 miles a week at. My mileage has dropped to between 3 and 9 miles a week. That used to be daily.

Sigh.

Not sure why I have no interest in it anymore.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    i was 27 after playing rugby for a few yrs decided to get my act together.
    have spent the last 5 yrs running, getting injured, running, injured etc..... after all this time i've finally got my milage up to 6 n half miles and have stayed injury free since december. every neck and back injury put me back a couple of months and it was like starting again with the running. luckily the rugby season is over for the summera nd i completed my 1st trail 10k last wkend, that was awesome :)
  • meeper123
    Options

3:19 and I'm glad I finally beat Apolo Ohno's time

That's not bad at all :D I am doing one with my mom for her 50th B-day even if we just have to walk lol Its 2 years from now I am starting training now
  • meeper123
    Options
    If I don't beat her, I will have to tun in my man card!

You can do anything you set your mind too :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I started at age 23 because the course I wanted to take had a physical element. I had to be able to run 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes. I couldn't run half a mile straight. I eventually finished the course (and finished the 1.5 mile in about 11:22 which was HARD). I moved away and joined a running group who convinced me to train for a half marathon with them - finished in 2:30:09.
    I moved from there and continued to run on my own. In 2009 I was hit by a car while running (crossing at a crosswalk with over head lights and had waited for traffic to stop) and I put on a pile of weight. When I started to exercise again, I started swimming. Well, my swimming group overlaps with a running group (also a cycling group and triathlon group). I don't remember the first local race I ran but have been running them pretty consistently now. My best 5k is just under 25 minutes.
    I have done 6 triathlons, run 5 half marathons total, my most recent last weekend where I set a new PR by 7 minutes - 2:01:15 and an unknown number of shorter races from 1 mile to 8 miles.