Do or Do Not: There is no Try

Options
It might seem obvious, but I've really come to this realization in the last week as I'm starting to see some of the fat come off (I spoke too soon yesterday, another 1 lb gone at this morning's weight-in :).

If you're going to do this, you have to DO IT. "Better" isn't good enough. An occasional bad meal, bad day, or bad treat is fine, but eating one meal out every day, and then having "just" 3 drinks with your friends, and oh hey do you want to go out to pizza after the bars is great, because you'll do better "tomorrow", right? And that candy bar you have "tomorrow"? It's just the one, right? It can't hurt anything.

And the next thing you know, your "occasional" treats are every day.

Not saying a cheat day or a treat is a bad thing. I think it's a GREAT thing because it keeps you on track and keeps you motivated if you don't have to be perfect and feel deprived all the time. But make a rule and stick to it. NO meals out, at all, EVER, except on Friday nights. And ONLY Friday nights. ONLY 2 candy bars a week and ONLY if you work out on those days. Things like that. No exceptions. Ever.

I know. I was doing "better". I cut out 3-5 cans of sugared soda a day. I worked out at least twice a week. I snacked on "healthy" foods and ate "lite" versions of foods and every other thing.

And I was still stuffing my face full of 800+ calories of "good food" that I didn't need to be, in addition to a "treat" just about every day. Because it's just the one, right?

And the weight didn't come off. I had a million reasons. It's my anti-depressants. I'd rather have a little extra weight than a mood disorder. It's my birth control pills. I'd rather have a few extra pounds than unmanagable bleeding and/or an unwanted pregnancy. It's my pain condition. I only have one good leg most days, cut me some slack. Lunch out is "team building" with my co-workers. It's "rude" not to have a drink.

EXCUSES!

Now I'm logging everything that goes in my face, in the gym 4 nights a week doing what I can do, no matter how much or how little it is, and lo and behold, I've lost 7 pounds.

Magic? Nope. Not a bit. :wink: I stopped trying and making excuses, and started DOING.

Replies

• oonafey
    oonafey Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am the queen of making excuses - It really pisses my fiance off. I've been "trying" to lose 20 lbs. for about 6 months now. I generally eat well, but then a co-worker had a birthday and I (literally) just devoured a slice of Black Forest Cake with real whipped cream... Mmmm. Whoops.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I needed to hear it!