Cheese and salt craver

Options
I have always had cravings for cheese and salty foods. I had figured that was from a vitamin or mineral deficit but after going to another website it told me that I oxidize my food rapidly and should eat less carbs and more protein. I am not sure how trustworthy the site is. Anyone got any advice? Help please! I want to make sure I am eating right for ME and my FAMILY :)

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I like the Light String Cheese (Mozzarella). To me it is cheesy and salty!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I believe cravings come from two things: our bodies telling us we NEED something (ie calcium from cheese) and our minds telling us we really WANT something because it is a personal favorite or preference. I would up the protein and take a multi-vitamin. Also, allow yourself the things you like- just in moderation. I adore cheese and salt!!!!!! Good luck!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    If you want a piece of cheese, eat a piece of cheese. ;)
  • taylor122
    Options
    Maybe for a snack you can have low fat cheese on some healthy organic crackers!!! It is worth a shot!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I guess what I am trying to ask and not saying it right is should I be on a higher protein diet because of this. Cheese is a nice source of protein. I adjusted it to the 30/40/30 but the website I went to said 20/30/50. Where when I first started it was set at 55 carbs. Going from 55% to 20% is tough that is why I went to 30%. Just wanting to know if I am correct in adjusting these goals!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would play with it and find what works best for you hun. Numbers are just numbers and they don't all work the same for eveyone. Your cravings may be just that- cravings and nothing more. It does not necessarily mean you need to adjust your diet.
  • Cathy_5011
    Options
    I LOVE cheese and salty foods. How I helped the cravings I will eat a low salt string cheese or a slice of sandwich cheese. And for the salt if you are cooking use Mrs Dash. It is AMAZING even better than salt.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i love cheese and salt!

i am on a high protien diet. my macro-nutrients are set for 45% protein, 30% fats and 25% carbs. it works for me and i enjoy eating that way. my sister is also on a high protein diet but her macro-nutrients are 40% protein, 25% fats and 35% carbs. play around with it and see how it feels. there is no set 'correct' answer. :)
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I eat string cheese and laughing cow with crackers all the time. There's no harm in keeping cheese in your diet.
  • Shawna35
    Shawna35 Posts: 65
    Options
    I've slowly started incorporating more cheese into my diet. Once I started playing around with my daily calories and saw that I have some room to add things I miss! (Cheese especially) I love the Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss (only 35 cal) and the Sargento Reduced fat pepper jack (60 cal). Lowfat cottage cheese is also good. Add in some nuts or fruit!
  • rosa1582
    rosa1582 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found this on another site.

Craving salty foods may indicate low adrenal gland function or low thyroid function

Salt regulates water retention in the body through the kidneys and adrenal glands. It is high in iodine, which is a mineral needed for thyroid function If you are craving salt, it may be your body asking for more iodine or potassium, or pointing to a fluid imbalance

Not sure if this was what you were referring to....