Some concerns about the plan my new trainer gave me

Options

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Ditch the trainer and follow MFP. You'll be happier daily, even if the weight comes off slower.

Or find a trainer than more lines up with your beliefs.
  • Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd go with what your gut is telling you. When you starting listing the steps that you've taken they seemed safe, reasonable, and maintain-able. What this guy is saying seems a little wackado, especially the weight loss pills. Those, in my experience, are never fun and don't keep the weight off.

Good job on all the work that you've already put in!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'd just nod and smile about the 1200 diet then keep doing what you're doing. and the supplements, just say no.

if the programme he has done for you is good, that is - if not, ditch him.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I tried the 1200 thing and ended up miserable and cranky, then I started to HATE working out. I decided to just eat 1650 instead, I feel much better, the weight loss is slower than I would like, but it is steady, and I am not binging.
  • Tabby1216
    Tabby1216 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    6 lbs in 4 weeks is pretty good, so whatever you are doing is working! MFP does overestimate sometimes when you enter in your workouts, but I don't think it is way off. At your weight, I think 1200 calories per day NET is way to low, but I am no expert. If your trainer is pushing things (supplements) at you, I would report him to the gym. You are losing weight the RIGHT way, the SUSTAINABLE way.

Keep up the great work!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It doesn't surprise me in the least that his weight is yo-yoing. He probably sticks to that measly plan then falls off (not surprisingly) and eats loads, rinse and repeat! :laugh:
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with your gut! I hired a trainer with a phenomenal portfolio before my wedding who referred me to a nutritionist to help me get my food straightened out. The nutritionist sold me on these Usana meal replacements and was pushing hard for her other supplements. I kept telling her I wanted more sustainable that I could do in the real world, but she kept pushing these products. Turned out the whole business model was a pyramid scheme, and my trainer ended up running off with my money before my last couple sessions to now sell these products.

It didn't feel right from the beginning and I should've just gone with my gut. That being said, don't let it be a reason to let up from the routine you've established.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Reading your responses made me remember the back story he gave me when I signed up for the gym membership (he is the owner!). He had weighed over 400 pounds, then lost it and gotten to a healthy weight. Then gained it all back plus some. Then lost it again, and now he is up to almost 300 pounds again. Clearly he doesn't have a handle on what works for weight loss. I guess this should have been a no-brainer for me, but everyone's feedback really was the support I needed to keep following my path.

As rude as it may sound, I don't think I would take any sort of advice from someone with this story, and I would have looked at someone like they were crazy if they put me with a 300 lb trainer ...

ETA: Unless, of course, it was 300 lbs of mostly muscle ...
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with what the previous posters have said, trainers aren't nutritionists (generally). Find out what kind of background he has in nutrition before you jump on board with what he's telling you. Also, if you can afford it, get a heart rate monitor to better determine what you are actually burning. I have the Polar FT7, ordered mine from Amazon for about $65 and I LOVE it. When you set up the watch, you enter your age, sex, height, weight, and then you wear the chest strap while working out and it will track your heart rate, calories burned, average heart rate, workout time, max HR for that workout, etc. Its a great tool...I usually enter in 90% of what it says I burned on there into my food log so I have a basic idea of what I have burned/consumed for the day.

You know your body better than this trainer so do what you think is best for you!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - stick with what you're doing. I think the trainer sounds like a nut.

However, do be aware that MFP's estimations of calories burned through exercise are generally not accurate and usually err on the high side so you may not be in as much of a deficit as you think you are. Something to keep in mind for potential later plateaus.
  • fietsvrouw
    fietsvrouw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with what the previous posters have said, trainers aren't nutritionists (generally). Find out what kind of background he has in nutrition before you jump on board with what he's telling you. Also, if you can afford it, get a heart rate monitor to better determine what you are actually burning. I have the Polar FT7, ordered mine from Amazon for about $65 and I LOVE it. When you set up the watch, you enter your age, sex, height, weight, and then you wear the chest strap while working out and it will track your heart rate, calories burned, average heart rate, workout time, max HR for that workout, etc. Its a great tool...I usually enter in 90% of what it says I burned on there into my food log so I have a basic idea of what I have burned/consumed for the day.

You know your body better than this trainer so do what you think is best for you!

I had one a while back and lost it when I had an apartment fire. I am going to go get one today instead of paying for a training package from this guy. Thanks for reminding me about that - I loved my heart rate monitor. :)
  • fietsvrouw
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - stick with what you're doing. I think the trainer sounds like a nut.

However, do be aware that MFP's estimations of calories burned through exercise are generally not accurate and usually err on the high side so you may not be in as much of a deficit as you think you are. Something to keep in mind for potential later plateaus.
    \\

This is good to know! Thanks.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    He's a moron and should be reported. Ditch him ASAP!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Any other of this trainers clients you can talk to or see results I wouldn't totally push aside what he is telling you , the trainers at my gym do address nutrition and if I could afford it I'd love a trainer. This is his job so do some investigating before you ditch it. I do 1200 calories but MFP had me calculated higher and i wasn't seeing any results so I got pissed and dropped it to 1200 and finally have adjusted to it and am seeing some results.
    Sorry, but a trainer putting emphasis on a thermogenic doesn't understand lifestyle change. If one isn't going to follow a program for life, then it's a diet program and usually only temporary because it's not sustainable. A mindful trainer will look at the goals (immediate and long term) and help to develop a plan on attaining both goals with the consideration of the actual lifestyle of the client currently.
    Now if the trainer is ONLY hired to help burn of # pounds, get someone ready for a competition, wedding goal, etc. then I could see utilizing other means to achieve a SHORT TERM goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fietsvrouw
    Options
    Oh - one more thing. Trainers aren't trained in dietetics. That is an advanced 4 year degree. He's trained in commissions.

Wow - you were so right on this one. I just got back from the gym where I asked for my membership fee back, as it is within the trial week. I expressed my concerns, and in response, he basically called me a weakling and proudly told me he only eats 850 calories a day and is "losing 4-5 pounds a week." Then it slipped out - he is pedaling the "Take Shape for Life" program, but without the meal replacements. I guess he makes a completely unpalatable plan that leaves you gasping for food and then when you tell him you are hungry ("let me know if you are too hungry on this) he sells you the supplements. I looked up Take Shape for Life - the company is involved in litigation because it is a pyramid scheme. He refused to refund my money "because it annoys him" and said I have to return on Tuesday when his office assistant is there. He also mentioned that he is the absolute top in his field. :D
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a peach.
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    Just nod your head and smile about his attempt at offering nutrition and focus on what he has to offer as far as weights. It sounds like you have a handle on your eating plan and it is working for you. WTG!

^^ agree
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Talk to the gym owner. I'm sure that trainer probably isn't allowed to be pushing supplements and dodgy meal plans.

Edit: Just seen your update above. Make sure you get your money back.
  • kiern18
    kiern18 Posts: 61
    Options
    Get rid of this personal trainer and DO NOT FOLLOW any of his advice. He shouldn't even be certified if he is walking around with that kind of advice. You don't need diet supplements, and you are setting up your body for serious health problems if you only eat at 1200 calories with your activity level. I am at 250, work out 5-6 times a week, and I eat around 1500-1700 calories a day depending on my work level. I went from 285 to 250 in three months by following my own plan (clean eating and hard work). You can do this!! Ditch that trainer and continue to work hard. Congrats on your progress :)
  • KANSASGIRL69
    KANSASGIRL69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    womens bodies are different!!! i doubt hes a nutritionist...he know what works for HIM...