All I want is CARBS, CARBS and more CARBS!

Options
So, I'm trying reeeally hard to restrict my intake of carbs (and fat) and it's TORTURE! How long does it take to break the 'addiction' to carbs?! All day long I think about how I want to munch on pretzels, crackers or chips! I'm chewing gum, drinking water - but I just feel deprived!

And - It's SO hard to avoid having a 'starch' with dinner. I have a lot of out of town guests visit me during the summer and I feel like they expect 'meat, potato, veggie' for dinner. It is SO hard to watch everyone enjoy a baked potato or a side of rice with their dinner and NOT eat any of it!

Oh, I need the motivation to keep going! Does it get easier?!?

Replies

• tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to cut out all carbs or just cut back on them? We do need some carbs in our diets!! It took me awhile to get over the carb cravings and sometimes I still want that thick piece of Italian bread or pasta, but it's not as bad and not as often.
    Sorry I really haven't answered your question...just keep trying.
  • hannatrip
    Options
    How long has it been? I stopped all bad carbs and it took about 5 days to get rid of the cravings.....one of things I did was eat a dill pickle when the cravings came around!!! it really helped!! Good Luck!!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It will never be easy but it takes 21 days to make a habit. I don't what kind of diet you are on but maybe allow yourself a carb every 3-4 days (if you can just have a serving or less) It gets easier and after a while the carb actually either doesn't taste good so just having a bite makes you realize it isn't worth it or it actually makes you feel like crap......It gives me a headache. You can do it....just think about what you are working for...
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    It will never be easy but it takes 21 days to make a habit. I don't what kind of diet you are on but maybe allow yourself a carb every 3-4 days (if you can just have a serving or less) It gets easier and after a while the carb actually either doesn't taste good so just having a bite makes you realize it isn't worth it or it actually makes you feel like crap......It gives me a headache. You can do it....just think about what you are working for...

It does get easier. For most people I think about 3-5 days. If you are more of a "sugar or starch" addict, then it could take upwards of a few weeks or months.

After a while you won't think or miss that crap that our bodies don't need anyway.............
  • antiadipose
    Options
    it does take a while to get used to but another thing u gotta steer away from is labeling all carbs bad!
    so if for dinner u have a baked potato but dress it up wisely (i use 2 tablespoons of salsa). thats completely fine. pair it up with a lean protein and load up on veggies.
    veggies have carbs in them!! i make like 3 cups worth of roasted veggies and season them up a bit mmmmm so low cal!
    try bulgur wheat and quinoa. super healthy rice alternatives.
    stack up ur plate with veggies and ull fine that u dont even have room for carbs!!

good luck!
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Okay, first of all, chewing gum can trigger sugar cravings. That was the first thing I learned when following the Atkins diet. I don't follow the Atkins diet any longer, but I do restrict my carb intake. Secondly, are you eating healthy carbs? i.e whole wheat breads and pastas. Whole wheat keeps you full longer and keeps cravings at bay. Add lots of protiens and perhaps some flax, which also helps to keep you full. When it comes to having guest over, if they're not asking for a baked potatoe and rice, then don't prepare those dishes. If they do want those things, make it for them because they are your guest. When I have guest over, they don't even know that I'm dieting because I load up on the protien and veggies and none's the wiser.
  • Flora_Delirus
    Options
    I honestly can't speak from experience. I grew up on meat and potatoes...but I have read through and do trust in the teachings of the 'Body for Life' theory. They basically say that for every meal you should have a piece of meat about the size of your outstrecthed palm, a carb of some kind (because carbs are what fuel the body to an extent) that is the size of your tightly squeezed fist...and as much vegetables as you want since veggies are good for you (or so my mother told me :P )

Anyway, eating a small amount of carbs every day or at least a moderated amount isn't bad. It's energy your body needs and the more you deprive your body of it the more it craves it....because it want's the energy the carbs create.

I would start slowly decreasing the amount of carbs your body takes in every week...and wean yourself off of the large quantity. Have a small baked potatoe with broccoli and a touch of shredded cheese on top. It's not going to kill you and it'll help keep the 'cravings' down some. (Make sure to eat the potato skin too since it's rich in nutrients.)

As for fat, they have begun to do more studies on things that are labeled as 'fat free'. People trying to cut fat out of their diet have been found to eat 'more' of a fat free item than if it was the regular kind. Problem with some fat free things is that they are higher in carbs and sugars. They have also found that the body does crave a little fat like it does for carbs. They say that when you give you're body a little of that 'fat' it helps keep your body from craving it so much. They are showing in some studies that these fat free foods, the prepackaged things you buy in the store, actually don't fulfill that 'need/craving' so you tend to eat more of it, thus dooming yourself.

So yes, it is very healthy to watch the amount of fat you take in but don't starve yourself for them. It'll make the cravings worse. So instead of putting spray butter on that small potatoe, put a tsp of real butter (remember moderation is the key). You're body/mind will feel a little more satisfied with just a little of the 'real' thing than it would with a lot of the 'fat free' product.

Does this make sense?
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from , been there and have dealt with it!! It took me 6 weeks to totally get rid of my carb cravings but I was a die hard sugar addict and I believe that is why it took me so long but I did get through it although it was HARD!!! Hang in there and whatever you do don't give up!! I agree with the other poster about how chewing gum triggers sugar cravings , I am on Atkins and it was the very first thing I learned :) I also find if I have to many "sugar free" candies or foods then I trigger a sugar craving!! I wish you luck and DON'T GIVE UP , you will get there!!!
  • peachesndiesel78
    Options
    Personally, I have found that when you deprive your body of something such as sugar and carbs, you only end up craving it THAT much more! I did Atkins religiously for 6 straight months and did not cheat even once. However, once I started introducing carbs back into my diet, my weight bounced right back up about 15 lbs. I think my body was hanging on to it for dear life!

I have had a lot more success by allowing carbs and sugar in moderation. If I want a cookie, I have just ONE. If I want some bread, I have just ONE piece. I find that it's much easier eating in moderation than by deprivation. Just my two cents.
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat anywhere from 150 to 230 gram of carbs daily. Obviously I'm a male so I'm not recommending you consume that much, however, my point is you shouldn't be scared to eat carbs as they are the primary fuel for your body. You should make sure you are eating good carbs and not eating a significant amount of carbs at any one meal. If you space them out they will continue to fuel your day and actually help you retain muscle mass as the body will not try to breakdown muscle tissue once your carb reserves are exhausted. Again this has worked for me and it may not for you but you will eventually find a happy medium. Consistency is key to reaching your goal so make sure your diet is a realistic one for you. Good luck and your in good hands with MFP!
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    IMO carbs get a bad rep by the diet/marketing industry. I"ve done Atkins, South Beach and yes I lost wt but gained it back. I'm finding that if I just focus on eating the healthiest choices of carbs, (have at least one carb with each meal) and lots of fiberous carbs along with it, I"m mush more satisfied and not having outrageous cravings. For ME I have to focus on an eating style for LIFE not a quick fix. Its a hard lesson learned for me, but long term its the only thing that works (again speaking for myself). Weight loss is much slower, but it stays off unless I don't monitor my portions and if I eat out too often.