Traders Joe's is coming!! Why should I love it???! :) :)

Options

Replies

• Jesusfollower72
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's! The have tons of healthy options there, including for those with food sensitivities. Tons of fruit and veggies! Lunchmeat that isn't cured (added sodium), organic american cheese. My daughter loves trying their samples and we have frequently bought the sample for dinner.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    No to Bulk. We leave that to Sam's and Costco. Sorry. Our prices allow you to buy in bulk though lol. the largest item we sell is dog food.
    No problem, thanks for clarifying :) Since I don't care for dogfood I think I'll stick to raw almonds instead:smokin:
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The have great
    English Muffins
    Wheat Pita
    Hummus
    Olive Oil (great price)
    Mediterranean Feta Cheese
    Spicey, Itailan Chicken Sausage, (Pesto, Jalapeno and sundried tomatoes)
    Wild Arugula
    Frozen grilled asparagus
    Green Beans (people think the are fresh when I make them)
    Frozen tri colored bell pepper
    Vanilla yogurt
    Quick Cook Steel Cut Oatmeal
    Great prices for their nuts and they have a large assortment
    The largest assortment of crackers, lowfat cookies that are actually good
    The largest selection of assorted dips for entertaining.
    The wine selection is not only very resonable but it is great!
    Great mini party meatballs, appetizers
    Chili Lime Chicken Burgers
    Vodka Pasta Sauce
    Red Roasted Pepper Spread or dip not sure but really good
    The largest assortment of chips sea salt and vinegar, veggie, baked
    Designer Whey Protein
    Assorted wheat pasta
    Pesto Sauce
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

but we don't sell "in bulk" items? What did you mean?

i meant things that are packaged lightly like the nuts. the nuts area pretty good deal at tj's, but the packaging at tj's is what really kills me. i would shop there more often if there were less packaging.

but the nuts are only bagged, so it's not too horrible. and there's a nice variety of nuts and dried fruit. that's what i meant by "bulk"
  • kayemme
    Options
    Everything, except for our produce is packaged. But our products have no artificial preservatives or flavors. So they won't last as long as other brands but they'll taste better.

i'm really glad to hear that. the last time i went to tj's (about 2 years ago) EVERYTHING was packaged. the only produce one could purchase outside of a package was a banana. i don't buy produce that is packaged unless there is absolutely no other option. i might give it another chance (i do love the cheese case and all the nuts, as i've stated).

produce *shouldn't* last a long time. that's the point of them. but i hate it when they're packaged because there's always one rotting one in the bottom spoiling the rest. not to mention the straight-to-the-landfill approach.
  • kayemme
    Options
    I believe what she meant was she likes that you sell bulk items so she does shop there for those. From other posts of hers I've seen she's against packaging. Except I just looked at her diary.... and now I'm way confused.:ohwell:

re: my diary, sometimes i just add things that are close to what i make at home so i don't have to build the recipe. if it's within 50 cals, then it's cool by me. saves me the time of building a recipe for every single thing i eat. and sure, sometimes i have chips. but that's about the extent of my "packaged" items. i do love chips. :) and i love soda, too. so these are my downfalls.

but i don't feel too bad about it. at the end of the week, i have way less than 1/4 garbage can of trash. almost everything goes right into the soup pot, then the compost pile. i feel pretty good about that.

and just an fyi, yesterday i was on a field trip with an elementary school and didn't have time to pack a lunch, so i ate half of one of the kids' lunches which was package heaven. bonus: it was totally disgusting. the trash from that one lunch for all the kids (about 40) equaled probably at least month of the trash for two adults at our house.
    So.......guess we all have to figure packaging is part of life unless we have big pockets to fill with nuts and cheese, beans & rice etc. when we bulk shop
    there are cloth bags/ reusable bags. i bring mine to the market... unless i'm not expecting to go which only happens on occasion.

and just to clarify, i don't really care what other people do. i do it my way because it makes me feel like i'm contributing less to a greater problem. other people can do what they want, so it's not like i'm smug about it because i'm really not. i just don't like to contribute to an already defunct system.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I believe what she meant was she likes that you sell bulk items so she does shop there for those. From other posts of hers I've seen she's against packaging. Except I just looked at her diary.... and now I'm way confused.:ohwell:

re: my diary, sometimes i just add things that are close to what i make at home so i don't have to build the recipe. if it's within 50 cals, then it's cool by me. saves me the time of building a recipe for every single thing i eat. and sure, sometimes i have chips. but that's about the extent of my "packaged" items. i do love chips. :) and i love soda, too. so these are my downfalls.

but i don't feel too bad about it. at the end of the week, i have way less than 1/4 garbage can of trash. almost everything goes right into the soup pot, then the compost pile. i feel pretty good about that.

and just an fyi, yesterday i was on a field trip with an elementary school and didn't have time to pack a lunch, so i ate half of one of the kids' lunches which was package heaven. bonus: it was totally disgusting. the trash from that one lunch for all the kids (about 40) equaled probably at least month of the trash for two adults at our house.
    So.......guess we all have to figure packaging is part of life unless we have big pockets to fill with nuts and cheese, beans & rice etc. when we bulk shop
    there are cloth bags/ reusable bags. i bring mine to the market... unless i'm not expecting to go which only happens on occasion.

and just to clarify, i don't really care what other people do. i do it my way because it makes me feel like i'm contributing less to a greater problem. other people can do what they want, so it's not like i'm smug about it because i'm really not. i just don't like to contribute to an already defunct system.
    Wow, I like your attitude:flowerforyou: I far better understand where you're coming from now, I don't think my brain was fully engaged when I posted last time. Yea kids with the lunch pkg'n and such, it's amazing isn't it! Kudos's to you for doing something positive about keeping waste out of the landfill, it's inspiring:drinker: :happy:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • kayemme
    Options
    yeah, and i super hate dunkin donuts. i needed a cold coffee as it was already blazing hot by 8am - ugh, so then i thought "well, i guess i'll get one of those there egg wrap things" but when i did the calculations when i got home i was kind of pissed about it. i was like "what? that's an awful lot of crappy calories for something not very tasty..." so i won't be doing that again. haha. live and learn, you know? i should have brought a hard boiled egg, but i'm not so good in the morning to remember such things. whatevz.

i'm really really glad to hear tj's got rid of the packaging on their produce. it makes me much more inclined to shop there, though the closest one to me is about 10-12m, which isn't bad if you drive, but as i ride a bike... well, let's say it's not my first choice. i might hitch a ride with a friend next time she goes, though, cuz i really do love the nuts & cheeses. great variety and fairly priced.

edit: one other thing about the packaging thing and people and stuff: i totally think it's pointless to try to convince people to do anything. for one, i think it's a better and more genuine effort when a person comes up with the idea on their own, and for two, i hate to preach. :) but i am rather outspoken about certain things and sometimes people take that the wrong way.. or the right way, i don't know how they really take it! hahaha...
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bumpin for more thoughts :tongue:
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Lunchmeat that isn't cured (added sodium), organic american cheese.

I haven't been looking at their meats and I didn't know they have uncured meats!! I'm definitely going to check that out next time.
    I forgot to mention the salsas! There's a nice little section of just salsas and they have Soooo much less sodium than the crap you find at the grocery store. A number of them have no added salt at all. And the sugars are low too.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous!!! The closest one to me is 2 1/2 hours away!! :sad:

I've only been to a TJ's once and I got the most amazing Greek yogurt (much cheaper than the stores around here!), hummus, cheese, cereals, crackers, flaxseed tortilla chips, and natural peanut butter!!

I sooooo wish we had one close by!!
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous!!! The closest one to me is 2 1/2 hours away!! :sad:

I've only been to a TJ's once and I got the most amazing Greek yogurt (much cheaper than the stores around here!), hummus, cheese, cereals, crackers, flaxseed tortilla chips, and natural peanut butter!!

I sooooo wish we had one close by!!
    Since Greek yogurt is mostly just thicker and less liquid than regular, I'm told you can make 'Greek Yogurt' yourself, sort of.

Line a colander with a coffee filter, and put it in a bowl to catch the drips. Then put regular yogurt in the coffee filter and in the fridge overnight. I've never done it, so I can't vouch for it, but I'm told it works in recipes that call for Greek yogurt.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone that took time out to comment and share their favorite and also to Superman for sharing more about the company itself!

I appreciate it very much and am looking forward to the store opening soon.:drinker:
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • eastcoaster
    Options
    Today my checkout included

Ground Burger (2.49 a lb, and it is so good)!
    Red Pepper Hummus
    2 Packages Chicken Jalapeno Sausages (Delicious! Great for lunch)!
    Morning Star Tomato Basil Burgers (Kept in the frozen isle. So good to dip in the hummus. My other lunch favorite. Way cheaper than you will find them in the regular grocery stores)
    Green Tea with Mint -Unsweetened (comes chilled in the dairy section) I've given up diet soda and I'm drinking this instead. Really like it!
    Lite Kettel Corn Popcorn (individual)
    Apricots
    Raw Almonds

There is more I love, put this was today's order. I love Trader Joe's!
  • JessicaDawn
    JessicaDawn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Two Buck Chuck is the bussiness!!! MMMM I do love it!
  • JessicaDawn
    JessicaDawn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You have to buy a basil plant... I put mine in a cute flower pot on my dining room table... I use it all of the time & so much cheaper than buying it at any store.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I am an artist for Trader Joes in Nashville.
    The reason we are labeled west coast is because thats where we are focused and originated from. Monrovia California.

If you want to eat healthy it's the cheapest there is and still the best quality. We love our customers...mostly. Some really try our patience like when they run into you with their cart or something.

Best prices on Agave, Almond Butter, Cheese and Fish ever.

The only downside is that you can't do ALL of your sgopping there. There are just somes things we dont carry..sorry.

All of our private labeled food is all natural.

We are not a health food store.

We are a Discount Gourmet food store though.
    SuperMan to the rescue once again! :laugh: Thank you for the feedback SuperMan! Good to hear it from someone from the 'inside' so to speak. I appreciate your feedback as well. :flowerforyou:

Becca:drinker:

Some of the best items to be buying from trader joe's when you're losing weight are as follows:
    Organic Produce...esp. Baby Spinach. (Eat at least half a cup per day everyday)
    Light Coconut Milk (Base for Coconut milk fruit smoothie)
    frozen berries...great for the smoothie or adding to oatmeal.
    Granolas
    Kashi High Fiber & High Protein cereal. 13g of protein, 10 g of fiber in one cup and only 140 cal.
    Almond Butter...much healthier than peanut butter.
    Agave Nectar. It may be high in natural sugars but it doesn't spike your glucose levels and therefore is diabetic safe in most cases.
    Stevia ...for the diehard serious about cutting out the sugar.
    Olive Oil...doesn't translate to bad fats when cooking.
    Breads...we have tons of sprouted breads and our Ezekiel Bread is half the price of anywhere else!
    Nuts and dried fruits....we have tons and all for amazing prices...you'd be nuts not to buy your nuts from TJ's
    Fish and Chicken...Awesome prices...awesome products...it's how we roll!

Those are just a few of my favorites...I try to avoid as much processed foods as possible.

I totally love TJ's Nuts and dried fruits!! So far I have not tried a trial mix I do not just love and I like the ones you sale in individual packages also. The hisbicuis and cashews are the bomb also! and they are cheaper and low in sodium. I visit TJ's once a week!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    two buck chuck wine haha....seriously though you just have to check it out yourself, it's hard to really explain the wonderment of trader joes. Although it is a bit pricey at times, they have unique foods and a lot of organic things there.

A friend of mine purchased wine there for their entire wedding for less than $100!!! How great is that!?!?

I'm not a big Trader Joe's fan, but many people are... so enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    You have to buy a basil plant... I put mine in a cute flower pot on my dining room table... I use it all of the time & so much cheaper than buying it at any store.
    Oh I definitely will! Thanks for the heads up :drinker:
  • kayemme
    Options
    Oh I definitely will! Thanks for the heads up :drinker:

if you let your basil plant flower then cut the flower with a couple leaves (then eat the leaves) then hang them upside down in a paper bag until they're totally dry, you can harvest the seeds and never have to buy basil again.

edit: heirloom varieties, obviously.