How many calories do I have to eat?!!

Options
Hi!

So I want to go from 25 % bodyfat to 18 % bodyfat, and I weigh 131 lbs. I really, really want to lose the weight by August, but if it's not reasonable I don't have to, but it would be pretty nice to lose the fat by then. I was just wondering how many calories I have to eat to meet my goal. MFP suggested 1,295 calories a day to lose the pounds by August, but I heard that 1,200 calories are the bare minimum, so would I be eating too little?

I plan to do 30 minutes of cardio and 50 minutes pilates every single day, is that enough when it comes to exercise?

Thank you, so much! :)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A "too" agressive weight loss goal will have you losing muscle mass along with fat. That won't help your body fat %.

MFP gives tons of people 1200 (not because it's the healthiest) .... but because people plug in "I want to lose XX pounds" per week .....it's just math.

Figure out your BMR - basal metabolic rate ..... calories needed if you were in a coma

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

Then find your TDEE - total daily expenditure .... calories you use based on activity level (including) exercise

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

To lose weight the lowest number you should consider is BMR + exercise calories.
  • But ... what do I do with those numbers? Should I eat the TDEE or BMR? I really have no clue what to do.

And basically I found this meal plan on blogilates.com

Here’s the meal plan…
    meal 1
    *egg white omelet (1/2 cup liquid egg whites) with 1 cup broccoli.
    meal 2
    *1 small can tuna with 2 cups broccoli.
    meal 3
    *9 oz boneless skinless steamed chicken breast and 1 cup steamed green beans.
    meal 4
    *1.5 scoops vanilla whey protein mixed w/ water (I was using Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder in Vanilla)
    meal 5
    *9 oz boneless skinless steamed chicken breast, 2 cups romain lettuce, 1 tomato.
    meal 6
    1.5 scoops vanilla whey protein mixed w/ water

Can I follow this plan or are the calories very little?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    eat less than the TDEE to lose weight. 15, 20% less perhaps. Try it for a month, then adjust according to results.
  • Oh, okay! Thanks a lot! I was really confused, haha.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You're gonna eat that same way every day? Til August? Booorrrrriiiinnnngggggg. And unnecessary. Eat real food. Log what you est...stay within your macros. You don't have to punish yourself to lose weight and get healthy.
  • amandanndel
    amandanndel Posts: 47
    Options
    You're gonna eat that same way every day? Til August? Booorrrrriiiinnnngggggg. And unnecessary. Eat real food. Log what you est...stay within your macros. You don't have to punish yourself to lose weight and get healthy.

I second this!!! ^^^^
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    The TDEE - 15 or 20% is a great place to start with your calories. I would also suggest that you don't need to do 30 min of cardio and 50 min of pilates EVERY day. Rest days are equally important. Also, strength training will help you drop body fat more than cardio will. There are some great, easy-to-follow lifting programs out there like Stronglifts 5x5, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. If you don't have access to equipment, there are lots of good body weight programs you can do at home like You are Your Own Gym (check out the app).
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There is virtually NO fat in your diet. That is extremely unhealthy. And while protein shakes are a good helper when you can't get all of your protein in, I don't think they'll do much to satisfy your hunger on such a low calorie diet.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

I second this!!! ^^^^

yah screw that.

how tall are you?

I think you need to keep in mind that if you go on a short term "diet" and don't watch what you eat after you reach your goal, you will just gain again.

that diet you posted sounds like a punishment. it doesn't have to be like that. just eat what you want within your calories, although the healthier the better.