detox 3 days

Options
Hi I am doing the doctor oz 3 day detox cleanse....I love food..I love to chew and taste food but today I drink a 5 hour energy drink and I went to sleep...I want to see if the foods I eat effect how tired I am so I ask for any help or join me in this...I will start sunday morning...looking for support and someone to join me...I never did this so...here I go :)

Replies

• genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    What sort of detox are you doing? As in, what are you allowing yourself to have/is there a set schedule for when you have it/etc?

I've been interested in something like it but I'm never sure how to plan it out.
  • bluetinker74
    bluetinker74 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wish I could load a picture....you can google dr. Oz three day cleanse....its a set of smoothies or drinks for three days...he has a shoping list as well. I put a link on my face book taraha lapeyrouse dardar if it helps!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is a quack. Cleanses don't work. You'll just put what water weight you lose back on when you start eating again. A big waste of money.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping to detox or cleanse? Your body does it itself naturally. No need to put yourself through that.

The thing Dr Oz is pushing lacks some nutrients. Even if his silly idea would help, three days is not nearly enough to change anything.

You may lose weight during those three days... but it will be water weight and won't stay gone.
  • bluetinker74
    Options
    Thanks for the information...I really don't want to loss the weight....I want more energy...I drink a 5 hour energy thing today and wentright to sleep...I am so not motivated to work out and wanted to see if doing this would help clean me...tthat's my point of doingit....I know its a life change....I know it takes work and there is no easy way...my 45 pounds I did loss toom a lot of work but I got burnt out ....I am not saying this is the key and I should not have aa lot of water weight cause I take fluid pills....please don't think in away I am saying this is great..and I would never down play hard work....if it was easy we would all be skinny and look alike...I just wanted someone to try it with me to see how they get results...if they have energy or want to kill someone cause we are hungry...I want someone to help with input...
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    Have you been to your doctor for a blood test? Constantly being tired can be due to various medical issues along with things like low iron, Vit D, B 12, etc.

Get up and workout.. regardless of how tired you are. The more you sit down, sleep etc the more tired you can feel. You should feel better once you get up and get moving. Try not to rely on things like those 5 hour energy things.

Before you try some random cleanse or detox go see your doctor. Personally, I find shakes only make me feel more tired. You can easily miss valuable nutrients.
  • bluetinker74
    Options
    Thanks thisismeraw!I love your input...I have been to my doctor and we did blood work and that started me on my way of this journey...my blood sugar was 105 not good and my bad cholesterol was 215....not good...potassium goes low but this could be from blood presure pills with fluid pill in it....all doctor prescribed. ..so he said loss the weight and your blood work will come down and your energy will go up...well my blood work came back way better and I give blood so I can see my cholesterol is about 180...but I am still so tired...you are right I really need to get myself up even if I don't want too...food is my addiction...food is what I turn to to make me happy but after I am sad...just suxs...
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    Did the doctor test for vitamin and mineral levels? Not all may... something to look into. If you don't consume a lot of animal products try taking a B 12 vitamin (provided it won't cause issues with anything else you are taking). That can help with energy levels if you are short on it. Also, if you live in an area without a ton of sunlight maybe check with your doctor on their thoughts on you taking a vitamin D supplement. It helps some.

I find exercise gives me energy.. sounds weird I know! I find if I go a while without exercise I get incredibly tired. With exercise I have tons of energy. Make sure you are also sleeping enough (but not too much). Also, exercise helps with the mood. Turn to exercise if you get sad, angry, etc when normally you would turn to food. If I'm angry, I go for a run. It really helps! If I'm sad, I will just go outside for a nice walk. Try to find other things to do instead of turning to food. Knit if you like that.. paint.. read a book.. write in a journal... clean something... do some gardening... etc. Find something that makes you happy!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure if srs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Detox Diets: Do They Work?
    by Martica Heaner, PhD

Related:

Industry Issues/Trends
    Nutrition News: Tips, etc.
    Nutrition/Healthy Eating

Client Share Save to Library
    [Pin It]

It seems everyone has tried a detox diet these days. Although regimens vary, they generally entail a juice fast lasting days or weeks and often include a “cleanse” with limited food and/or “detoxifying” supplements. Serving up a small allotment of calories can produce dramatic weight loss, which makes detoxing tempting to typical dieters.

But what’s unique about this trend is that it’s also attracting people not trying to lose weight. That’s because these fasts are billed as a way to improve health by removing impurities from the body. Many of the juice regimens purport to cure chronic health conditions and diseases. All this gives detox diets more street cred than the typical fad diet—but is that warranted?

Are These Diets as Scientific as They Sound?

“Extreme detox diets are not nutritionally balanced,” says Christine Gerbstadt, MD, MPH, RD, a Maryland-based medical doctor and registered dietitian. Even diets that incorporate a meal or smoothie can have too few calories, especially if you exercise while on them. The risks are considerable.

“When you’re not getting enough protein or calories, you can lose muscle mass and experience dangerously low blood sugar, which can cause you to pass out and create electrolyte imbalances that, in extreme cases, can lead to a heart attack,” says Marjorie Nolan Cohn, MS, RD, CDN, a spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics who has a private nutrition-consulting practice in New York City.

Of course, some detox diets take a more sensible route, providing juices or supplemented shakes with adequate calories (around 1,200 per day) and protein. “As long as you’re healthy and only follow [a diet like this] for a few days, you will probably lose a few pounds, [but] it’s doubtful that you are going to cure a disease,” says Cohn.

In other words, it’s true that these exercises in portion control can produce weight loss. But the bigger question is whether a detox diet truly “de-toxes.” These diets are said to be able to cleanse the liver and flush the body of toxins, but do they?

Detoxing the Liver of Thousands of Toxins . . . ?

The most common claim is that a cleanse regimen detoxifies the liver, the body’s own self-detoxification organ. It’s assumed the liver gets clogged like an air conditioning filter and must be cleaned so it can continue detoxifying.
    “But there is no evidence showing that a normal liver gets clogged with toxins,” says hepatologist Nancy Reau, MD, an associate professor of medicine at the University of Chicago who treats patients who have liver cancer. “The liver is a sophisticated filter. Everything you inhale, put on your skin or eat enters the bloodstream and is brought to the liver. It then generates specific enzymes to help remove things that are unhealthy or change them to a healthier form. The liver is self-cleaning; you just have to give it good fuel in the form of healthy food.”

Pros and Cons of Detoxing

The upside of a detox regimen is that cutting out bad eating habits and helping the body eliminate waste more easily make good sense. Eating less processed food and more plant foods means more fiber, more nutrients and fewer chemical additives. Detox diets may even have a valid detox effect if people forgo alcohol that they might otherwise drink.

Some people think that a regimented, strict plan helps them mentally prepare to embark on a healthier way of eating. However, people often return to their former eating vices when their cleanses are over.

The belief that it can kick-start a healthier life may only be a fantasy. In fact, the deprivation during fasting may result in a backlash—an impulsive return to junk-food eating.

If your routine consists of alternating an occasional detox week to fix a chronic pattern of poor eating habits, what’s the point? “A lifetime of good, healthy eating is going to be more effective than a sometime, short-term cleanse,” says Reau.

Easy Ways To Eat Healthfully All the Time

Drink more water.
    Eat more organic plant foods.
    Exercise vigorously.
    Get more fiber by eating more plant foods.
    Omit or eat fewer animal foods (and choose only free-range, organic, etc., if you do).
    Don’t smoke.
    Don’t drink alcoholic beverages.
    Avoid processed foods.

For more information on detox diets, please see "Detox Diets: Myths vs. Reality" in the online IDEA Library or in the February 2013 issue of IDEA Fitness Journal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Easy Ways To Eat Healthfully All the Time

Drink more water.
    Eat more organic plant foods.
    Exercise vigorously.
    Get more fiber by eating more plant foods.
    Omit or eat fewer animal foods (and choose only free-range, organic, etc., if you do).
    Don’t smoke.
    Don’t drink alcoholic beverages.
    Avoid processed foods.

This^^^
    (Well, except for the exercise vigorously part -- just get some exercise, no need to kill yourself.)
    When I'm feeling tired I drink water. I found hydrating helps a lot. (If your urine isn't light yellow to clear, you aren't hydrated enough.) I eat lots and lots of plant foods, every day, and especially the green stuff. Lots of it. I've cut my coffee intake to 2 cups a day (instead of 7 or 8) and alcohol down to 1-3 a week. I quit smoking years ago (thankfully). I rarely eat processed foods of any kind. Just doing these things will detox your system because you're no longer putting in more toxic junk. Bear in mind you may feel worse for a few days while your body does its detox thing, but hang with it. You come out the other end feeling so much better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information...I really don't want to loss the weight....I want more energy...I drink a 5 hour energy thing today and wentright to sleep...I am so not motivated to work out and wanted to see if doing this would help clean me...tthat's my point of doingit....I know its a life change....I know it takes work and there is no easy way...my 45 pounds I did loss toom a lot of work but I got burnt out ....I am not saying this is the key and I should not have aa lot of water weight cause I take fluid pills....please don't think in away I am saying this is great..and I would never down play hard work....if it was easy we would all be skinny and look alike...I just wanted someone to try it with me to see how they get results...if they have energy or want to kill someone cause we are hungry...I want someone to help with input...
    Motivation is more an attitude adjustment than a food/drink adjustment. Start with your head. The body will follow suit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition